PDA

View Full Version : What Is Your Favorite Book?

Coog
01-26-2012, 20:40
If you could only have one book on naval warfare during the Napoleonic era, which one would you pick and why?

My choice is The Naval War of 1812 by Theodore Roosevelt. While I like the entire scope of the period, the War of 1812 has been one of my favorite topics since I was young. I have found no other book that has as much detail on the subject as this book. Not only does it give great coverage of the events of the war, it gives a lot of detail about the ships, both British and American, that fought in the conflict. The most amazing thing about the book is that Roosevelt wrote it when he was in his twenties.

Comte de Brueys
01-28-2012, 13:45
The best book I read about Naval Warfare in the Napoleonic era is:

Frankreichs Seekriege gegen England 1793 -1815 by Detlev Wenzlik (Die Napoleonischen Kriege Band 6)

http://62.112.147.133/shop/images/ware/5/50_16637.jpg

Coog
01-28-2012, 14:53
Do you know if it has been published in English?

csadn
01-28-2012, 23:18
If you could only have one book on naval warfare during the Napoleonic era, which one would you pick and why?

My choice is The Naval War of 1812 by Theodore Roosevelt.

Won't argue that choice too strenuously; tho' I'd put N.A.M. Rodger's _The Command of the Ocean_ a close second (some bits of it predate the Napoleonic Era proper, however).

David Manley
01-28-2012, 23:52
Of course there are so many excellent books covering the period it is difficult to choose, but I'd probably go with the "Naval Chronicle", reprinted by Chatham in a consolidated edition several years ago. A wealth of information in first hand accounts.

Comte de Brueys
01-29-2012, 01:29
Do you know if it has been published in English?

I don't think so.:(

It's a small german publisher.

Coog
01-30-2012, 16:18
Won't argue that choice too strenuously; tho' I'd put N.A.M. Rodger's _The Command of the Ocean_ a close second (some bits of it predate the Napoleonic Era proper, however).

I wasn't familiar with this book so I looked it up on line and found a lengthy preview of many pages from the book. It looks real good. I'll have to pick up copy.

Coog
01-30-2012, 16:29
I'd probably go with the "Naval Chronicle", reprinted by Chatham in a consolidated edition several years ago. A wealth of information in first hand accounts.

I also checked this one out on line. I found the whole book available on line for reading. I read several pages. This book is fascinating. You defininitely get a feel for the period reading from writings of that period.

csadn
01-30-2012, 19:24
I wasn't familiar with this book so I looked it up on line and found a lengthy preview of many pages from the book. It looks real good. I'll have to pick up copy.

Be aware, and beware: It was written by a British historian, so anywhere up to 20% of the chapter content is located in the endnotes. (I have a special bookmark for reading British histories: It's two bookmarks tied together with a cord; one end goes in the main text, the other end in the endnotes. :) )

Berthier
01-31-2012, 02:10
This one is actually surprisingly good and accessible. It covers more than just the Trafalgar campaign and is a great introduction to the period.

http://www.amazon.com/Trafalgar-Companion-Complete-Historys-Admiral/dp/1845130189/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1327999579&sr=8-3

Cmmdre
06-01-2013, 09:18
Of course there are so many excellent books covering the period it is difficult to choose, but I'd probably go with the "Naval Chronicle", reprinted by Chatham in a consolidated edition several years ago. A wealth of information in first hand accounts.

Thank you for the tip on another *cracking good read*. I'm looking forward to beginning an aquisition process for the multiple volumes. Saw a preview online and it looked excellent.

Be aware, and beware: It was written by a British historian, so anywhere up to 20% of the chapter content is located in the endnotes. (I have a special bookmark for reading British histories: It's two bookmarks tied together with a cord; one end goes in the main text, the other end in the endnotes. :) )

Thanks for the tip Chris. I'll be sure to put one together soon.