PDA

View Full Version : AAR- When the fog lifts

CSherrange
02-09-2015, 11:46
Finally going up tomorrow, just have to transfer some pics.

Brief hint-

If I wasnt using advanced rules and entanglement it would've turned out very differently..:question:

CSherrange
02-10-2015, 11:06
Lt Hiram Owen has been dispatched from the squadron with the Frigate HMS Concorde to persue an enemy Frigate carrying vital intellegence. It is crucial to accquire this information for the Navy. The Concorde has has the enemy Frigate in sight for a few days, and as we have drawn closer to it's home shore a thick, massive fog has set in, stalling any attempt at detection. Lt. Owen orders a small search pattern in an attempt to locate the enemy vessel.

A the sun is rising, and the fog lifting, his quarry is within sight! However, the enemy Frigate's Starboard side is poised to rake the Concorde's bow with a devestating broadside.

Beginning Situation-

As each ship sets in their moves, the only advantage the Concorde has is the French Frigate is faced directly into the wind. Capt. Owen attempts to steer the Concorde through the fire it will surely take and take up a position on the enemy Frigate's stern.

Turn 1-

As the Concorde races forward, the enemy Frigate unleases a fire from it's forward guns.

The enemy's fire does little to the Concorde itself, but the balls take out a significant number of crew.

Turn 2-

As the ships draw closer, both ships exhange broasides and musketry. The Concorde scores a lucky hit and the enemy Frigate (now know to be the Hermione) has a hull breach! The concorde takes significant damage as well, and the crew shrinks even more from the enemy fire. During the exchange of shot, a splinter strikes Capt. Owen in the arm. It's an insignificant wound, and he fights on after calling for the surgeon to stop the bleeding.

Turn 3-

Both ships are now entangled and grappled together. With the thick smoke, the exchange of musketry does little damage to either ship. Both crews are also frantically reloading their guns. As both sides attempt boarding, the situation with the crew onboard the Concorde grows increasing despirate. Capt. Owen gathers in everythign and orders a retreat due to crew loss.

Musketry-

Boarding-

Turn 4-

With the Concorde still entangled and unable to break free, Capt. Owen decides the die is cast and he must accomplish his mission. The Concorde unleases a devestating grapeshot broadside, and the Hermione responding with chain, both crews are now beginning to have difficulting handling their respective ships. Both ships also exchange musketry again.

Turn 5-

Both ships are still entangled, and with very little crew left all Lt. Owen has left is divine providence and an iron will. He decides to continue to exchange musketry in the hopes of forcing the Hermione to surrender, while hoping he will have enough crew to maintain his ship as well. Capt. Owen must have angels around him, for although the Concorde's deck is awash in blood and more and more enemy volleys go across her hull, Capt. Owen avoids serious injury. The enemy captain is severl wounded in this exchange of volleys however.

Turn 6-

With both ships wishing to disengage, and unable to due to entanglement, all that remains for the few remaining crew on each ship is to hammer away with muskets in the hopes of forcing the other to strike!

As the crew that are left takes up any small arms avaliable and try to disable their conterparts. After the smoke clears, the Hermione has struck!!!! God himself was with Capt. Owen and the remaining crew of the HMS Concorde this day!!!!

(Listen to with the sound down unless you want to hear a few seconds of Archer dialog)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7NL8UgEXwQ&feature=youtu.be

With what little crew Capt. Owen has left, both ships limp back towards his assigned squadron. The HMS Concorde has little damage, but many fine crew will never report for roll again.

CSherrange
02-10-2015, 11:14
Lt. Hiram Owen (P)/ RTP/ Captured Hermione using optional/ advanced rules
Lt. Davout (AI)/ Severly Wounded- 3 scenarios/ Captured

spiessbuerger
02-10-2015, 11:59
Wow. What a fast bloody slugfest in 6 turns.
Very enojable report. And congratulations for your brave Lt. Owen :thumbsup:

CSherrange
02-10-2015, 12:10
Thank you kind sir. It was one of the bloodiest games I've ever played of Sails. Tense as well. The entanglement with never breaking free was a first as well. I couldn't believe my luck, as I thought the Concorde would strike several times.

Nightmoss
02-10-2015, 13:24
Congratulations on your victory. Unfortunately, your crew was decimated. Might be difficult finding volunteers? Here comes the press-gang. :wink:

Union Jack
02-10-2015, 13:43
Well done. Nice victory. Wish my game had started out as well position wise!

Mycenius
02-27-2015, 22:30
:shock: Bloody Indeed!

Err, don't know if I'd want to be a deckhand in that squadron?! :bleh: :wink:

Great AAR! :salute:

Bligh
06-19-2015, 10:03
Just catching up with all these AARs.
Glad I did not read this before playing it myself, otherwise I may have sheered off after the first French raking broadside of my ship.
Well played Charles.
Rob.