PDA

View Full Version : AAR--When the Fog Lifts January 2015 Campaign Scenario (French Privateers)

Nightmoss
01-24-2015, 15:31
As AARs go this turned out to be more interesting than I thought it might. At the end of writing up my AAR I realized that I had incorrectly applied damage to the ships logs (one must pay attention to the burthen value). What this ultimately meant was that the AI ship disengaged on Turn 13 while my ship disengaged on Turn 14. Not realizing it at the time I played out Turn 15 as if my ship had not disengaged, which altered nothing in the final reckoning, but certainly added to my stress thinking I might still beat the AI. Regardless the AI won escaping with the spy.

Without further explanation here's my "When the Fog Lifts".

I rolled for crew damage effects on the captains for both the AI captain and mine using the new two step system suggested by Eric.

Capitaine de vaisseau Jean-Pierre Santos survived uninjured (This roll would not have been necessary if the game ended on Turn 14 and this final crew damage occurred on Turn 15).
Captain Richard Bosworth was wounded on Turn Seven. The subsequent wounds were fatal.

Final Report:

Capitaine de vaisseau Jean-Pierre Santos (P) / Returned to Port / No Victory
Captain Richard Bosworth (AI) / KIA / Victory

spiessbuerger
01-24-2015, 16:23
Thanks Jim for that movie-like presentation. The fog and the ships look and action where great. :thumbsup:
Unluckily your captain was not successful in the end. Next time you get it!

(Finished my game recently this evening. :steer:Report will follow...)

Union Jack
01-24-2015, 18:13
Nice report of the action Jim. Loved the fog effect.

Neil

7eat51
01-29-2015, 05:10
Wonderful write-up and visuals, Jim. :thumbsup:

Fortunately, Capitaine de vaisseau Jean-Pierre Santos lives to fight another day.

When I played OTT, I was amazed at how often I made mistakes during game play. It was always great fun, though. I learned a lot about the game mechanics and the capabilities of the ships through the solo campaign. Unlike face-to-face, I think the solo games provide space and time for players to reflect on what is happening in the engagement.

I will update the roster, accordingly. Thanks for putting the final report in the requested format; it makes record keeping much easier.

Nightmoss
01-29-2015, 09:50

Fortunately, Capitaine de vaisseau Jean-Pierre Santos lives to fight another day.

When I played OTT, I was amazed at how often I made mistakes during game play. It was always great fun, though. I learned a lot about the game mechanics and the capabilities of the ships through the solo campaign. Unlike face-to-face, I think the solo games provide space and time for players to reflect on what is happening in the engagement.

I will update the roster, accordingly. Thanks for putting the final report in the requested format; it makes record keeping much easier.

Thanks Eric and all for the positive feedback. I did enjoy this scenario a great deal, but of course it was frustrating to be only box from destroying the AI ship (that doesn't show on the photo above, but would have been the case if I'd alloted damage correctly). In any case it was good to be back on the "water".

Question:

If the players ship rolls for disengagement where exactly should he navigate towards? I would assume the western edge of the board if the AI ship is headed east? Also, opportunity fire should still occur from either ship correct? It might have played out differently on that last turn if the Courageuse had a different shot? Oh well, it's another 'what if' and I may well play this again using the new solo charts.

Cheers!

7eat51
01-29-2015, 09:57
Yes, player's ship to western edge; I will update the scenario, accordingly..

Yes, take opportunity fire, but only if truly opportunity. If disengaging, the idea is to put as much distance between opposing sides as quickly as possible.

I'm glad you enjoyed the scenario. I will probably sail on Saturday - need to coordinate my playing time with Sue's photography and computer time. One day, I will learn how to use the camera, upload images, etc. Until then, I will let my IT department handle it. :wink:

Nightmoss
01-29-2015, 12:51
Yes, player's ship to western edge; I will update the scenario, accordingly..

Yes, take opportunity fire, but only if truly opportunity. If disengaging, the idea is to put as much distance between opposing sides as quickly as possible.

I'm glad you enjoyed the scenario. I will probably sail on Saturday - need to coordinate my playing time with Sue's photography and computer time. One day, I will learn how to use the camera, upload images, etc. Until then, I will let my IT department handle it. :wink:

Thanks for the answers, Eric. So, if I had played it correctly it would have made for a cliff hanger ending. . .turn 14 is when the Courageuse had to break off. The only possible move would have been a sharp turn to starboard (the edge of the mat was on the port side). That would have set up the ship for a full broadside on the Terpsichore and the Terpsichore for a rear arc broadside on the Courageuse. I would only have needed any hit and the Terpsichore would have sunk. Hindsight is always 20/20. :wink:

Keep your IT department happy. :wink:

Mycenius
02-27-2015, 23:00

Hear, Hear! :salute:

Bligh
06-19-2015, 13:13
Really enjoyed this action Jim.
Very close to the results I got but from the opposite side.
My Frenchie slipped away but my British ship had to break off and the captain got struck down.
Bligh.