PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the Pacific Northwest

Grogmaker
01-18-2015, 19:54
Greetings,

I have been eyeing Sails of Glory for some time now and ventured to get it as a special birthday treat to myself (wife wasn't quite as excited as I). I have been a fan of Patrick O' Brian and his Aubrey/Maturin series since I was young and have always had a special place in my heart for the age of sail. As one who loves to partake in board games and war games of all types I wanted to give this game a go!

If anyone is up for any games in Washington state (Spokane more specifically) let me know. I'm dying to try this game out against other opponents besides myself and my small gaming group.

Thanks!

7eat51
01-19-2015, 10:48
Welcome aboard, Garrett. :salute:

Have you played SoG with your wife?

Please take a look at our solo rules and campaign sometime. We just started the campaign - one mission per month - so if you're interested in joining, please let me know and I'll help you arrange your roster. It is one of the ways we'll be playing together this year. On the Aerodrome (sister site for Wings of Glory), we have played games by email, Skype, etc., all to good fun.

The solo forum is here: http://sailsofglory.org/forumdisplay.php?41-2015-Solo-Campaign

Naharaht
01-19-2015, 13:52
Welcome to the Anchorage, Garrett.

Nightmoss
01-19-2015, 13:56
Welcome aboard, Garrett. Enjoy the site and our community. :salute:

Grogmaker
01-19-2015, 20:45
Thanks gents!

Eric, unfortunately I haven't been able to convince my wife to play. War games are one genre that she has no interest in playing.

The solo campaign looks interesting. I might have to take this up and give it a shot!

As a side note I managed to grab the Wave 2 Frigates off of eBay for a killer deal and just stopped by my local game store and grabbed 2 SoL for half off. All in all not bad!

Another facet of this hobby that I'm interested in doing is repainting the miniatures to a higher standard. As a longtime war gamer (40k, LOTR SBG, Warhammer, Dyso, Flames of War)I noticed that some members have used a form of brass etching for ratlines as well as using brush hairs for ropes. That is some top tier inspiration and definitely has got me excited to get to work. My first task was to repair some broken masts which I fixed using a pin vise, wire, superglue and epoxy putty. Next on the creative list is to find some colors to repaint my first group of frigates. Is there somewhere on the forum that has any reference material for proper colors to use for all nations?

Thanks again for the welcome!

Coog
01-19-2015, 21:45
Welcome aboard Garrett!

Nightmoss
01-19-2015, 21:46
Thanks gents!

Eric, unfortunately I haven't been able to convince my wife to play. War games are one genre that she has no interest in playing.

The solo campaign looks interesting. I might have to take this up and give it a shot!

As a side note I managed to grab the Wave 2 Frigates off of eBay for a killer deal and just stopped by my local game store and grabbed 2 SoL for half off. All in all not bad!

Another facet of this hobby that I'm interested in doing is repainting the miniatures to a higher standard. As a longtime war gamer (40k, LOTR SBG, Warhammer, Dyso, Flames of War)I noticed that some members have used a form of brass etching for ratlines as well as using brush hairs for ropes. That is some top tier inspiration and definitely has got me excited to get to work. My first task was to repair some broken masts which I fixed using a pin vise, wire, superglue and epoxy putty. Next on the creative list is to find some colors to repaint my first group of frigates. Is there somewhere on the forum that has any reference material for proper colors to use for all nations?

Thanks again for the welcome!

I highly recommend you pick up Rod Langton's, "Assembly, Painting & Rigging of Napoleonic Naval Models in Scale 1:1200". He's located in the UK, but you should be able to purchase via Waterloo Minis once they're back up and running (business transition from old owner to new one).

http://www.rodlangton.com/index-2.html
http://waterloominis.com/

You might also want to check out Vol's Blog with his work and the Step by Step Rigging Guide by Rory.

http://volsminiatures.blogspot.com/2014/05/rory-mccreadies-step-by-step-guide-to.html

Finally if you want check out The Miniature Page, "Age of Sail" forum and the Napoleonic Naval Painting forum as well.

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/topics.mv?id=135

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/topics.mv?id=134

This should keep you busy for a bit. :wink:

7eat51
01-19-2015, 21:57
Garrett, my wife was the same way until her first WoG game. Now she plays both WoG and SoG, and is actually one of the better players in our group. It seems that with both of these games, once a game begins it becomes a game of decision making that can almost be divorced completely from war. This evening, I ran a WoG game at our FLGS and we were discussing this afterwards. I am, by far, the most embedded in wargaming and military history of our group, but everyone enjoys playing because these are fun games that enable a lot of social interaction.

We'll keep our fingers crossed for you. You might be married to a future admiral. :salute:

If you want to join our campaign, let me know for which side you want to sail, and eight names in descending order of rank; I'll assign the appropriate ranks. PM me with your email address, and I will invite you to our googlesheet in which we keep all our rosters and the state of our captains.

Berthier
01-20-2015, 03:25
Welcome Garrett, good time to be joining SOG as you have already found many ships can be purchased quite cheaply which makes the initial outlay less painful.

Diamondback
01-20-2015, 11:45
Welcome Aboard from the Wet Side!

Gunner
01-20-2015, 18:15
Welcome:beer: to the Anchorage, Garrett.
Follow Eric's advise and don't give up on getting your wife to play. If you get her to at least try it once, don't forget to let her win without being obvious. There's not much most wives like better than getting the upper hand on their husband.

Cmmdre
01-21-2015, 10:29
Welcome aboard Garrett. I am over in Bellingham. :salute:

Grogmaker
01-21-2015, 22:16
Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Eric, I would love to join the campaign!! In fact I feel that I might have jumped the gun and just completed the first scenario for the 2015 solo campaign... I will post an action report shortly with pics for proof! PM coming with captain names/nation.

I will continue the gentle reminders for my wife to play but only time will tell if she is swayed to my side.

Bligh
04-07-2015, 07:02
Having just docked after a round the world trip, and whilst me ship is in dry dock, I felt it an apt time to catch up on my mail and welcome me new shipmates alongside to join me in a wet.
Do join me in the Wardroom for a few glasses of the olde Holland's Gin. the finest you will find this side of the Dutch East Indies.
Bligh.:drinks:

Comte de Brueys
04-07-2015, 11:19
Intersting.

Rob digged out the whole welcome threads, I missed.

Welcome to the Anchorage, Garrett. :salute:

Old Salt
04-08-2015, 21:20
Welcome from Alberta

John Paul
04-10-2015, 01:12
Another belated Welcome aboard!! Hope by now you have several victories under your belt!!