PDA

View Full Version : January's Solo Mission - When the Fog Lifts

7eat51
01-18-2015, 15:16
The Navy is always at war, because it is always fighting winds and waves and fog.

---Admiral John Fisher

You have been in pursuit of an enemy ship heading to its coast. Aboard the ship is a passenger carrying vital intelligence. Your mission is to prevent the passenger from reaching shore, and if possible, to capture him. During the night, fog enveloped both of your ships, but as night gave way to day, the fog started to lift.

When all becomes clear, you find yourself within firing range of your enemy. Are you in position to wreak havoc upon your enemy’s ship? Is your enemy in position to wreak havoc upon you? Has a golden opportunity to strike a blow been missed by you both?

Setup

Playing Surface: the playing surface is consistent with the dimensions of a Sails of Glory game mat (67 x 98 cm, approximately 26 in x 39 in). North is at the top, east along the right edge, south at bottom, and west along the left edge. Orient the playing surface with north and south having the long edges, and east and west having the short edges.

Wind is blowing to the north.

Choose two ships of comparable strength, one for the player and one for the AI.

Place the player’s ship 1.5 rulers in from the west, centered between north and south; use the main mast for placing the ship. The player's ship is facing due east.

Place the AI ship one ruler distant from the player's ship, using the AI main mast for placing the ship. Roll an 8-sided die, and place the AI ship in the appropriate direction from the player's ship according to the diagram below, e.g. a roll of 1 means the AI ship is NW of the player's ship, going out along the diagonal from the NW corner of the player's ship. Roll another 12-sided die, and face the AI ship in the associated clock direction, with 12 being sailing due north, 6 being sailing due south, 3 being sailing due east, and 9 being sailing due west, etc.

Both ships use ball ammo, and both ships are set to battle sails. The AI ship will shoot whenever the player's ship is in range, assuming its guns are loaded. Ignore all special damage except crew hits. Both ships will engage until within their last three boxes of hull damage or crew hits. The player's ship will disengage, working under the assumption that other enemy ships are in the ares; the AI ship will disengage to maximize the likelihood of reaching its shoe with its passenger.

If the AI ship disengages, immediately set course to the east edge of the playing surface. The AI ship will sail in such a way as to break away from the player's ship, e.g. if the safest and fastest route is to sail ENE, it will do so. Once on its exiting course, roll a 6-sided die. On a 1-2, play the #5 card with the side movement to the left; on a 3-4, play the #5 card due straight; on a 5-6, play the #5 card with the side movement to the right. If for some reason, a different move would be most advantageous, do so, but remember, its goal is to exit the gaming surface; speed is of essence.

Victory Conditions

If the player sinks the AI ship or kills all her crew, the player wins. Any other result, the AI ship wins. If the player wins, the player will receive 2 points toward Captain Ability Points for destroying an enemy ship defeated of the same broadly defined class. Because the scenario goal is the exact same, no additional points will be awarded.

Optional Rules and Victory Conditions

Players must choose to use the optional rules before setting up the game. Once the player places his or her ship on the playing surface, the decision for which rules to use has been determined.

In the beginning of the game, the player can choose to use different ammo, following the official rules for firing and drawing damage. This decision must be made prior to placing the player ship on the playing surface. The player must choose how to load his/her guns prior to placement. The AI ship will use ball ammo.

Use sail special damage. For every two sail damage received, the ship reduces its speed by one level. Both ships use battle sails unless sail damage dictates otherwise.

The victory conditions for the optional rules are:

If the player sinks the AI ship, the player receives 2 points toward Captain Ability Points.
If the player kills the AI crew or destroys the AI sails, the player receives 3 points toward Captain Ability Points. It is assumed that such a condition results in either capturing the passenger or the intel carried by the passenger.
Any other result is a victory for the AI ship.

After-Action Report (AAR)

At the end of the AAR, please write the results according to the following schema:

Captain's name (P or AI) / condition at the end of the scenario / victories and accomplishments

Conditions: Returned to Port, Wounded, Killed, Captured; if wounded, roll for effect according to the solo rules

e.g.: Lieutenant Gerard Dujardin (P) / returned to port / no victories
e.g.: Commander Edward Wright (AI) / severely wounded - miss 3 scenarios / victorious by making it to port

or

e.g.: Lieutenant Gerard Dujardin (P) / wounded - skip 1 scenario / victorious - captured enemy ship by killing all crew using optional rules
e.g.: Commander Edward Wright (AI) / killed / no victories

I will update the Excel sheet and award any Captain Ability Points, accordingly.

7eat51
Below is a proposed alternative method for determining captain wounds. You are free to use whichever method you desire. Feedback would be most appreciated.

When half of a ship's Crew Damage boxes, rounded up, are filled, roll two six-sided dice to determine the effect on the ship's captain. Re-roll each time the ship takes additional crew damage.

2-4: Captain wounded
5+: Captain unharmed

Modifiers to Crew Damage Effects on Captain's Die Rolls
-1 if Crew Damage is caused by musket fire
-1 if Crew Damage is caused by grapeshot
-2 if Crew Damage is caused by a rear raking shot
-3 if all of the Crew Damage boxes are filled
More than one modifier can apply on a given die roll

If the captain is wounded, roll one 6-sided die to determine nature of injury.

1 or less - the captain is killed
2 - the captain is severely wounded; skip 2-4 scenarios
3 - the captain is wounded; skip 1 scenario
4+ - the captain survives with minor wounds

Modifiers to Captain Wound Effects
-1 if captain was wounded via a rear-raking shot
-1 if captain was wounded via musket fire
-1 if all Crew Damage boxes are filled

Below is the original rule:

When half of a ship's Crew Damage boxes, rounded up, are filled, roll two six-sided dice to determine the effect on the ship's captain. Re-roll each time the ship takes additional crew damage.

Crew Damage Effects on Captain Table
2 or less - the captain is killed
3 - the captain is severely wounded; skip 2-4 scenarios
4 - the captain is wounded; skip 1 scenario
5+ - the captain escaped injury

Modifiers to Crew Damage Effects on Captains Die Rolls
-1 if Crew Damage is caused by musket fire
-1 if Crew Damage is caused by a rear raking shot
-1 if all of the Crew Damage boxes are filled

7eat51
Reserved 1

7eat51
01-19-2015, 13:01
Scenario uploaded.

Nightmoss
01-19-2015, 14:14
Thanks Eric. Can't wait to try this out! :happy: :minis:

P.S. Eric, I don't think I ever provided you with AI captain names. The rules say generate as needed so here's a captain name off the top of my head: Captain Richard Bosworth

Also, are our player captains and crews starting fresh without any abilities? I would assume they are, but maybe not? Thanks!

7eat51
01-19-2015, 16:30
Let me know if anything is unclear. I reserved a post to field any Q&A.

Union Jack
01-20-2015, 11:02
Ah well done Sir. Can't wait to give this one an outing. Looking good for next week sometime.

7eat51
01-20-2015, 11:54
Thanks Eric. Can't wait to try this out! :happy: :minis:

P.S. Eric, I don't think I ever provided you with AI captain names. The rules say generate as needed so here's a captain name off the top of my head: Captain Richard Bosworth

Also, are our player captains and crews starting fresh without any abilities? I would assume they are, but maybe not? Thanks!

Hi Jim,

I will update the googlesheet with AI rosters, and will carry over relevant items from the previous plays. If you rather have your captains start fresh, and assign new abilities, just let me know.

Nightmoss
01-20-2015, 11:59
Hi Jim,

I will update the googlesheet with AI rosters, and will carry over relevant items from the previous plays. If you rather have your captains start fresh, and assign new abilities, just let me know.

Thanks Eric. I'll go with what's been done so far, but I plan on bringing out a new captain from the existing roster for this engagement. Cheers.

7eat51
01-20-2015, 12:06
To be clear, Jim, for each scenario, a player can choose which captain(s) from the player's and AI's lists to use. The only "requirement" is to choose a captain of a rank that makes sense for the ship being used. Of course, if a captain is wounded, captured, or killed …

I guess we could take every captain that has been killed and man a ghost pirate ship for a Halloween scenario.

Nightmoss
01-20-2015, 12:33
To be clear, Jim, for each scenario, a player can choose which captain(s) from the player's and AI's lists to use. The only "requirement" is to choose a captain of a rank that makes sense for the ship being used. Of course, if a captain is wounded, captured, or killed …

I guess we could take every captain that has been killed and man a ghost pirate ship for a Halloween scenario.

Now that sounds like a blast and I just happen to have the perfect ship for such a Halloween event. :wink:

7eat51
01-20-2015, 13:40
Oh Jim, what an eerily beautiful ship. :hatsoff:

Let's plan a Halloween ghost pirate event. It would be quite fun - maybe an international Skype game or some such venture.

Nightmoss
01-21-2015, 17:32
My captain sailed our first campaign scenario this afternoon. I could tell it's been some time since I've navigated the seas. AAR forthcoming, but it may take awhile writing it up. Here's a teaser photo I shot at the beginning of said scenario.

Courageuse Surrounded by Thick Fog

7eat51
01-21-2015, 17:37
Nice photo, Jim. I hope the experience was enjoyable. If you think any tweaks are needed, please let me know. Looking forward to reading your AAR.

Nightmoss
01-21-2015, 18:40
Nice photo, Jim. I hope the experience was enjoyable. If you think any tweaks are needed, please let me know. Looking forward to reading your AAR.

Doing a solo scenario again was very enjoyable. . .however, the experience for my captain, not so much. :sad:

I really don't think there are any tweaks necessary to the mechanics. Using just the basic rule it's pretty straightforward.

What did come up was the sailing behavior of the AI ship once it disengages. I had it plot the sharpest turns possible until it could sail to any eastern edge of the mat, then I used the scenario rule for 5/, 5 and 5\. Initially it was headed off the north edge and I felt that course was contrary to the instructions (north edge likely close to shore or shoals?) so I backed off and used the best turns for an eastern edge course.

7eat51
01-21-2015, 20:56
Sorry to hear all didn't work out for your captain.

The 5/, 5, 5\ mechanism is to cause just enough uncertainty that the player's ship cannot simply come alongside and repeatedly fire. Players should override the AI mechanism if the maneuvers do not make any sense. I had to do so a couple of times in OTT-Final Months, but refrained from basically playing both sides. Sometimes the AI mechanism made me scratch my head, but the chosen maneuvers were not so detrimental to the AI planes that I felt it necessary to change them. Sometimes, those same maneuvers made for interesting situations, even advantageous for the AI plane(s) in the long-run.

Nightmoss
01-22-2015, 09:42
Eric, I will work on my AAR this afternoon, but I had one question concerning crew damage effects on the captains? I'm assuming we should roll for these independent of your rules for disengagement because the rolls happen each time crew damage occurs. I actually forgot to do so while playing. Should I roll or not (I have photos of log damage to reference)? Thanks.

7eat51
01-22-2015, 09:48
Jim, you raised a good question. I just reviewed the rules for captain damage. Let me think through this a bit, and offer some thoughts later today. An idea sprung to mind as I read the rules, but I am in the middle of something at work, so I don't have time to fully think it through, at present.

Nightmoss
01-22-2015, 09:51
Jim, you raised a good question. I just reviewed the rules for captain damage. Let me think through this a bit, and offer some thoughts later today. An idea sprung to mind as I read the rules, but I am in the middle of something at work, so I don't have time to fully think it through, at present.

Sounds good. There's no rush at all. Thanks!

Bligh
01-23-2015, 03:13
Having just read this Eric, I think your scenario is just the thing to kickstart me into action.
Having only had time to play three games so far my Fleet is run down and rotting in harbour.
I will try to run your game, and see how I go.
Thanks for posting this.
Rob.

Nightmoss
01-23-2015, 09:28
Having just read this Eric, I think your scenario is just the thing to kickstart me into action.
Having only had time to play three games so far my Fleet is run down and rotting in harbour.
I will try to run your game, and see how I go.
Thanks for posting this.
Rob.

You'll enjoy it Rob. It's a very easy setup, and with the placement I had going in, was a very straight forward engagement. Good to see you posting on the Anchorage again. :hatsoff:

7eat51
01-23-2015, 10:42
Rob, it would be wonderful if you could join us in this campaign. If you decide to do so, let me know and we'll set up your roster.

Bligh
01-23-2015, 12:37
Thanks for the invitation, but I will take things a bit at a time with this one Eric.
My first duty is to the Drome and that is quite intense as you know only too well.
I really need to do much more research into the war at sea before writing any AARs.
Rob.

Bligh
01-23-2015, 12:38
You'll enjoy it Rob. It's a very easy setup, and with the placement I had going in, was a very straight forward engagement. Good to see you posting on the Anchorage again. :hatsoff:

Thanks Jim.
I have not had much time to get involved so far, but have been keeping a weather eye on what has been taking place.
Rob.

7eat51
01-23-2015, 12:59
Thanks for the invitation, but I will take things a bit at a time with this one Eric.
My first duty is to the Drome and that is quite intense as you know only too well.
I really need to do much more research into the war at sea before writing any AARs.
Rob.

Understood, Rob. The little time I have has been spent here, hence, not much presence on the 'Drome. I jumped into OTT again, and will fly my first mission next week. It will be nice to be back in the saddle, or should I say pilot's seat.

I will be reading through some of the WWII scenarios and AARs for ideas for running games at our FLGS. I adapted your Double Barrage this past Monday. Folks enjoyed it. I am awaiting some pics from the guys to post.

Union Jack
01-23-2015, 13:57
Eric when would you like me to post scenario 2?

7eat51
01-23-2015, 14:08
Eric when would you like me to post scenario 2?

How about during the first week of February? That should give most players a chance to complete the first scenario and AAR, without feeling rushed or like they're falling behind.

If you need more time, no problem.

Thanks, Neil.

7eat51
01-23-2015, 14:16
A proposed alternative captain wound determination scheme has been uploaded in post #2 above.

Union Jack
01-24-2015, 18:06
It's done and dusted. Just needs tidying up round the edges. Hope you like it.

TexaS
03-15-2015, 04:09
I've finally played it.
First I tried it without taking pictures to find out how the solo play system worked. The AI went off the map. I reposition and it still left the map. We were competing for the wind.

Retried it and ended up starting in very different positions, this time taking photos. I will try to put together a AAR today. It was a weird game.

Sorting out 85 photos! :shock:

Bligh
03-15-2015, 09:19
Mine is also done.
Hope to get it posted this week.
Bligh.