PDA

View Full Version : A couple of solo games using 'Powder Monkey' solo rules

Herkybird
01-18-2015, 11:31
Yesterday, my friends and I had a couple more games of Sails at our club, very tough little battles even though we were fighting against a French force using the PM rules!
The full write ups are on my blog at http://herkybird-richardbradley.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/sailing-to-glory.html

Our previous games are at: http://herkybird-richardbradley.blogspot.com/2014/11/sails-of-glory-our-first-try-out.html

And: http://herkybird-richardbradley.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/how-to-use-mysails-of-glory-solo-rules.html

Hope you like them! :salute:

Ozariig
01-18-2015, 12:13
Very entertaining read. Thanks for posting, and congrats on your win!

Nightmoss
01-18-2015, 12:25
Thanks for the links and AAR's. Very enjoyable reading with an added bonus that the AI is quite capable of taking on the human player and doing very well it seems. In the times that you've played have you decided which ship class is most fun to play (whether solo rules or not)?

Cheers! :salute:

Hobbes
01-19-2015, 03:43
Thanks for the AAR, it was a nice read. I also discovered, to my dismay, the AI to be fairly competent.

During the read, I was asking myself if you are applying the damage counters in the correct way. In picture 11/32, the first volley against the Commerce de Marsaille, you covered three solts with three chits, although no chit exceeds the burden of the commerce and only one ox should be filled yet. Was this only to visualize the damage taken?

Herkybird
01-19-2015, 14:50
Thanks for the AAR, it was a nice read. I also discovered, to my dismay, the AI to be fairly competent.

During the read, I was asking myself if you are applying the damage counters in the correct way. In picture 11/32, the first volley against the Commerce de Marsaille, you covered three solts with three chits, although no chit exceeds the burden of the commerce and only one ox should be filled yet. Was this only to visualize the damage taken?

Hi Hobbes, the chits were correct during the game, unfortunately in the pictures they were stacked (my fellow players dont turn the stack over when the box is full! - despite me telling them its clearer!) As we were using the advanced rules, the first 3pt fire marker filled the first box despite the CDMs burden being 6. In retrospect, the chits would probably have been better laid out for the pics? - my bad!

I am glad other players are enjoying the solo system too! :clap:

Herkybird
01-19-2015, 14:55
Thanks for the links and AAR's. Very enjoyable reading with an added bonus that the AI is quite capable of taking on the human player and doing very well it seems. In the times that you've played have you decided which ship class is most fun to play (whether solo rules or not)?

Cheers! :salute:

Hi Nightmoss, I think we all have our favourites. Personally, I like running '74s. The solo system, I think, based on the few games I have played, possibly is most dangerous using '74s too, and I dont think thats because I wrote the rules!!! - the 74 combines reasonable manoeuverability with good firepower, though it will tend to lose out in a slug-fest with a 1st rate! :happy:

Nightmoss
01-19-2015, 15:00
Hi Nightmoss, I think we all have our favourites. Personally, I like running '74s. The solo system, I think, based on the few games I have played, possibly is most dangerous using '74s too, and I dont think thats because I wrote the rules!!! - the 74 combines reasonable manoeuverability woth good firepower, though it will tend to lose out in a slug-fest with a 1st rate! :happy:

I would agree that 74s are formidable on the mat. They've fared quite well in the solo games I've played. Thanks for the reply! :hatsoff:

colby_bimore
01-22-2015, 18:11
Richard,

Thank for sharing the solo rules and AAR!

:thumbsup:

Bligh
01-23-2015, 02:06
I must also thank Richard for the solo rules, which I have downloaded this morning.
Bligh.

CSherrange
01-23-2015, 07:49
The few games I've solo'd in anticipation for the campaign have been great. I've used the advanced rules and the AI holds its own.

Herkybird
01-23-2015, 14:36
Thanks for all the positive comments everyone! - my friends and I have found PM a tough opponent to beat, though we are not very experienced SofG players yet.
I hope the system gives you many hours of enjoyment...and a few sleepless nights! (lol) :takecover:

Nightmoss
01-23-2015, 18:52
Perhaps it's my poor eyesight, but I'm having trouble at times distinguishing some of these cards from one another? It's usually the more subtle turns. I'd rather not guess if the card I'm supposed to use is a 6, 7 or 8 (or 1, 2 or 4). Anyone have suggestions on how to better tell which card to use? Thanks!

Union Jack
01-25-2015, 07:04
Nice follow up reading your games Richard. Having used the charts they are exactly what I expected having used your WoG charts. Excellent work.

Herkybird
01-26-2015, 13:05
Perhaps it's my poor eyesight, but I'm having trouble at times distinguishing some of these cards from one another? It's usually the more subtle turns. I'd rather not guess if the card I'm supposed to use is a 6, 7 or 8 (or 1, 2 or 4). Anyone have suggestions on how to better tell which card to use? Thanks!

I have found it doesnt really matter if its not exactly the right card chosen when using the chart, so long as its approximately right it plays ok.
You could put small numbers on the chart yourself - as a general rule, the higher the d6 score, the sharper the turn until you hit 7.
I didnt want to put numbers on the icons, as they looked cluttered at the size they have to be, also, I had to allow different ships in the same class to have different numbers for the same turn. I am not sure if this is the case already, as I only have 14 models so far! I imagine it would be a likely development in the game if not!

If you want, I can send you a chart with the numbers on so you can see what it looks like. Just send me your E-Mail address to me (My E-Mail is richardbradley5@gmail.com) - and I will do one.

:salute:

Nightmoss
01-26-2015, 13:18
I have found it doesnt really matter if its not exactly the right card chosen when using the chart, so long as its approximately right it plays ok.
You could put small numbers on the chart yourself - as a general rule, the higher the d6 score, the sharper the turn until you hit 7.
I didnt want to put numbers on the icons, as they looked cluttered at the size they have to be, also, I had to allow different ships in the same class to have different numbers for the same turn. I am not sure if this is the case already, as I only have 14 models so far! I imagine it would be a likely development in the game if not!

If you want, I can send you a chart with the numbers on so you can see what it looks like. Just send me your E-Mail address to me (My E-Mail is richardbradley5@gmail.com) - and I will do one.

:salute:

Thanks Richard. That extra work for you isn't necessary. I have all the charts printed out and writing the numbers in will take very little time. I was going to use your system on my next solo game regardless so this is a good reason to get cracking. Cheers! :salute:

Herkybird
01-26-2015, 14:10
I will do the charts with numbers anyway if enough people think its necessary - thanks for saving me the extra work, it would probably take more than an hour each chart, and as I said, I am not sure its better with little yellow numbers anyway!

I really hope you enjoy using the rules anyway....! :clap:

7eat51
01-29-2015, 04:56
I'm about to sail the first Campaign scenario. Once finished, I will use these rules and compare the two games. It will be an interesting exercise.

Bligh
01-30-2015, 01:46
I'm about to sail the first Campaign scenario. Once finished, I will use these rules and compare the two games. It will be an interesting exercise.

I look forward to viewing the results Eric.
I hope to follow suit sometime next week.
Rob.

Comte de Brueys
02-05-2015, 10:38
Nice AARs.

Interesting solution for the rigging.

Herkybird
02-05-2015, 13:21
Nice AARs.

Interesting solution for the rigging.

Danke Sven! - my rigging is less ornate than that elsewhere on the anchorage, I tried to do mine the same way, but I only made a mess, so I went for something simple, which is fine plastic netting painted black, and a simple black polyester thread between the masts, which reinforces them somewhat.

At my club, we tend to do things that look ok at normal play distances, IE about 2 feet. This rigging is in line with that philosophy!

I wish I could replicate the beautiful rigging several people have managed, but there you go!

Incidentally, I am currently painting Bavarians to go with my French in the War of the Spanish Succession. They are doing well so far! :drinks: