PDA

View Full Version : (Retrying) Hello from Denmark - and first off, advice?

Thor
01-05-2015, 04:39
Note: I tried posting the below just before; can't see it on the forum. Sorry if this is a repost. I'll go back and delete then :-)

Hello all,

Thorbjørn, jounalist and reservist in the Royal Danish Navy. Hello there, nice to be here :-)

Recently I rediscovered the Warhammer and Warhammer 40K miniatures that my brothers and I collected 20 years ago. One thing has led to another, and I have acquired a lot of new minis in recent months - plus bought the GW naval fantasy game Manowar. I am keen on trying out a historical naval game, and right now I have the starter set for SoG in my basket at an online games shop. Before I purchase, I would like to hear your advice on what ships would be good add ons in the beginning of building two fleets. Two fleets, since I won't mind being the host where friends can try out the game, not expecting sceptical friends having built a force already :-)

Thanks in advance, sailors.

Thor

7eat51
01-05-2015, 08:35
Welcome aboard, Thor. :salute:

What ships to purchase can be a hard one. It really depends upon the types of scenarios you want to play. If you're looking for a little variety, I suggest looking at what are considered the Wave 2 ships - the ones in the green colored boxes, such as Swan, Alligator, and Thorn for sloops, and possibly some of the first rates. If you're wanting to start with similar ships to the starter, than others from the first series - red boxes - would be a way to go, that is other 74 and 32 gunners. Because I am the one with the Sails of Glory ships, running the games for my family, friends, cons, and at our FLGS, I picked up everything. If I wasn't doing that, I would have started by adding two more 74s and two more 32s; this way I had four of each and could run evenly matched battles with four to eight players. Once I had a feel for the game, I would build according to taste.

7eat51
01-05-2015, 08:40
Hi Thor,

I just saw your other post, and deleted it. If you thought there was a problem, it was probably due to your registration not having been fully processed. I finished processing new registrations right before I gave the above response. You should be good to go with the rest of the site.

By the way, we are starting a solo campaign if you're interested. You can find info here: http://sailsofglory.org/forumdisplay.php?41-2015-Solo-Campaign

The rules are being finalized, and we will start play this week. Each month, everyone will play a given scenario and post a report. It is quite fun. If you ever decide to join us, please let me know and I will help you set up a roster.

Nightmoss
01-05-2015, 08:47
Greetings Thor! Welcome aboard the Anchorage. :salute:

I can't add much to what Eric's already mentioned. I will say that when playing solo games the medium frigates often are fast and furious to play, and consequently give you a lot of fun in the process. This would be the Hebe class ships; HMS Sybille, Carmagnole and Proserpine. Cheers!

Thor
01-05-2015, 14:35
7eat51 and Nightmoss, thank you for the advice. Much appreciated. Thanks for the info on the solo campaign, will look into it.

All the best,

Thor

Gunner
01-05-2015, 20:27
Hello all,

Thorbjørn, jounalist and reservist in the Royal Danish Navy. Hello there, nice to be here :-)

I would like to hear your advice on what ships would be good add ons in the beginning of building two fleets.
Thor

All of them:beer:

Welcome from Arizona, Thor.

Union Jack
01-05-2015, 23:37
Welcome from a cold, wet and so far dark north of England, Thor. I like to build squadrons but having 34 Langton 1/1200 ships makes it easier for me. The mainstay of any battle line is the 74. Frigates and smaller ships used as signal repeaters, fast 'scouts' and messengers were of little use in the line of battle (Didn't stop some English captains taking on larger ships and punching above their weight), with the heavier 2nd and 1st rates adding that extra fire power.

But since I've started playing SoG I've found, IMHO, that it is more suited to small ship on ship actions or games where one person controls one ship with multiple players. It's quick to learn, fast to play and fun. It can be a complicated or as simple as to whatever suits your tastes. You can fight large fleet actions, they take more time, or you can play the one on one ship actions taking your inspiration from the plethora of novels available by Kent, O'Brian et al.

Once you've picked it up it's hard to put it down. As for ships to collect, whatever is available as they will become harder to find and they can always be used.

Gunner
01-05-2015, 23:59
Frigates and smaller ships used as signal repeaters, fast 'scouts' and messengers were of little use in the line of battle .

They'll come in handy once Ares comes out with merchantmen.:beer:

Cmmdre
01-10-2015, 09:10
Welcome aboard Thor. :salute:

Naharaht
01-19-2015, 13:54
Welcome to the Anchorge, Thorbjørn.

Berthier
01-20-2015, 03:17
Welcome Thor. Buy anything so long as they are French...:wink:

Old Salt
01-22-2015, 05:29
Welcome

Devsdoc
01-22-2015, 06:08
Note: I tried posting the below just before; can't see it on the forum. Sorry if this is a repost. I'll go back and delete then :-)

Hello all,

Recently I rediscovered the Warhammer and Warhammer 40K miniatures that my brothers and I collected 20 years ago. One thing has led to another, and I have acquired a lot of new minis in recent months - plus bought the GW naval fantasy game Manowar. I am keen on trying out a historical naval game, and right now I have the starter set for SoG in my basket at an online games shop. Before I purchase, I would like to hear your advice on what ships would be good add ons in the beginning of building two fleets. Two fleets, since I won't mind being the host where friends can try out the game, not expecting sceptical friends having built a force already :-)

Thor

Hi Thor,
G.W. did a Historical game based on "Manowar" called "Trafalgar" It is no longer made. If you look on e-bay etc you may find a copy. If you cannot find one e-mail me at- devsdoc at hotmail dot com. I can help you with this. It is not the best copy, but is use able copy plus add-on's.
Be safe
Rory

Comte de Brueys
02-05-2015, 10:45
I really need to look more often into the "welcome" subforum.

Bonjour Thorbjørn.

Welcome on board. :beer:

Thor
02-05-2015, 15:48
Oh Em Gee, guys, hadn't checked up on this thread for a while. Thanks for all the greetings and advice. Awesome, obviously a great community :-)

TexaS
02-05-2015, 15:59
Hello to my Nordic friend!

We're both new here it seems. :happy:

Popsical
02-06-2015, 15:15
Welcome aboard Thor. Buy the ships you like the look of and have fun. This is not a GW list building exercise game (i like GW by the way), so just go with your inner preference and enjoy it.
The starter set gets you 4 medium ships so i went with larger and smaller ships next for variety.
Good luck and fair weather.

Capn Duff
02-07-2015, 01:30
A belated welcome to you Thor, from Bristol

Bligh
04-07-2015, 06:45
Avast there Thor.
I'm all aback with me mail. having been sailing the seven seas this many a day, so here is a belated welcome to 'e.
Do please join me in the Wardroom for a tot of the best Spirits, I acquired from a friendly Merchantman I justhappened to run aboard :steer:in a squall last week.:cannonboom:
Bligh.:drinks: