PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Solo Campaign Discussions

7eat51
12-09-2014, 01:16
Hello Everyone,

Starting in January, we will embark on a year-long solo campaign comprised of 12 monthly scenarios. Participants will choose a side for which they want to sail - British or French. Participants will take turns developing a monthly scenario, and all participants will sail such scenarios and write associated AARs. The scenarios need not be actual reenactments; they can be adapted from historical engagements or be completely fictitious, but plausible, situations. What is required in each scenario is the use of released ship types, for example a British third rate vs. two French frigates, without the use of specific ship names; given the diversity among participant collections, the more generic the ship requirements, the better.

For the first few months, at the least, we will use the basic set of solo rules. As the year progresses, we can add more advanced rules as they are developed; the solo campaign provides an opportunity to test new rules.

Each participant will develop a roster of ship captains, and based on scenario outcomes, those captains can accrue skills/abilities. If you are interested in participating, please let me know. I am in the process of moving the previous rosters to a new googlesheet under a new gmail account. Any solo scenarios played during 2014 with submitted rosters will count toward captain advancement; for those currently sailing under non-British or French flags, a simple name change could be made if desired. For 2015, though, we'll be keeping to British and French navies.

If you are willing to write a scenario, please let me know for which month.

We will use this forum to flesh things out during December. At the end of the month, I will create additional forums with all the rules, etc.

Rosters

British

Eric (7eat51)
Neil (Union Jack)
Finn (TexSwede)
Charles (CSherrange)

French

Jim (Nightmoss)
Matthias (spiessbuerger)
Kevin (Ozariig)
Jan (Jason)
John (Mycenius)

Scenario Writing

January: Eric (7eat51)
February: Neil (Union Jack)
March: Jim (Nightmoss)
April: Eric (7eat51)
May:
June: Charles (CSherrange)
July: John (Mycenius)
August:
September:
October:
November:
December:

7eat51
12-09-2014, 01:17
I will update the captain rosters regarding experience during the transfer to the new gmail account. I will send invitations to participants as needed.

Union Jack
12-09-2014, 10:22
I'm up for this Eric and any month for me.

7eat51
12-09-2014, 10:35
I was hoping this would be the case Neil - thanks. It will be exciting to play this with you. I miss playing OTT. Dave invited me in after the holidays, so I hope with the new year there will be new time for flying again.

Union Jack
12-09-2014, 10:40
I now have all the decks thanks to Steve and Anthony, so my Langtons can take to the sea with the correct decks to maneuver with. Having played 6 games with Anthony and 3 solo I am now getting to grip with some of the finer nuances of the rules.

Nightmoss
12-26-2014, 08:33
Eric, is the 2015 solo campaign still planned? Attendance on the Anchorage is in serious decline and I don't think it's entirely the Holiday syndrome. So, if you think this is a no go I'm probably going to investigate the Wings Aerodrome solo campaigns and scenarios.

That being said with my current roster I'll most likely be sailing for the British. Not sure if I'm ready for writing a scenario, but we'll see how things unfold in the near future.

Thanks!

7eat51
12-26-2014, 08:52
Hi Jim,

Yes, it's a go. I have been sick this past week, so I am behind on uploading things. Actually, I am about to call the doctor's - time to go in to get some antibiotics, I believe; I haven't been able to shake this.

I have been thinking about the lack of activity here. I am not sure what is on the horizon, but I hope we'll experience new wind in our sails. It has been a hard year for SoG - production problems and delays, lack of news, lack of releases, etc. I haven't followed things on BGG or elsewhere, but if this site is any indicator, Ares should be concerned. I fear some of the original supporters have moved on.

I hope you had a pleasant Christmas.

CSherrange
12-26-2014, 10:15
I know I have not been in full time attendance myself, even though I've probally played the game more in the last 3 months than I ever have (and turned 4 people onto it as well).

However, I would be interested in this campaign, as I need to get more into played the solo stuff to make me a better sailor. Also my job has gotten much less of a time sink.

I would like to sail for whomever would need an extra person to make the sides even, as I have little care for a side, just want to play.

Nightmoss
12-26-2014, 12:42
Hi Jim,

Yes, it's a go. I have been sick this past week, so I am behind on uploading things. Actually, I am about to call the doctor's - time to go in to get some antibiotics, I believe; I haven't been able to shake this.

I have been thinking about the lack of activity here. I am not sure what is on the horizon, but I hope we'll experience new wind in our sails. It has been a hard year for SoG - production problems and delays, lack of news, lack of releases, etc. I haven't followed things on BGG or elsewhere, but if this site is any indicator, Ares should be concerned. I fear some of the original supporters have moved on.

I hope you had a pleasant Christmas.

Christmas was nice and quiet, which is always preferable to me. Thanks!

If you have the crud I've been dealing with since November 19th you definitely should head to the doctor for some antibiotics. While I feel better now I still have the annoying cough and sinus issues. Whatever it is I've been told it's all over Madison, if not the entire state/region, and it lasts at least a month if not more.

I didn't mean to put undue pressure on you concerning the solo campaign, especially with your health and workload being what it is. Just take care of yourself and don't worry about SoG.

7eat51
12-26-2014, 20:21
Jim, please know you are not putting undue pressure on me. I feel terrible not having been able to give more time to the solo stuff throughout the past few months. I apologize for letting all of you down in this.

I went to prompt care, and now I am on antibiotics. Some of our neighbors were there as well, and other neighbors have been down for close to a month. Something nasty is happening here, too, Jim.

The coughing is hurting the head. I will be happy when this is over.

I hope you recover fully, soon, my Friend.

Ozariig
12-30-2014, 12:08
Sign me up, admiral:salute:

I'm leaning towards the French, as no one has signed on for them yet. I'd like to try writing a Scenario, but maybe a little bit later in the year so I can see how it's done.

I'm a newbie, but I should be able to acquire any ships I need for the monthly scenarios, so don't let me hold your imaginations back :wink:

7eat51
12-30-2014, 12:12
Wonderful. There are other French players, some of whom are actually nice guys. :takeover:

I will be in touch with the info I will need from you. I am trying to set up a new googledoc, but keep bouncing between work, the Aerodrome, and here.

7eat51
12-31-2014, 05:03
I was able to transfer the googlesheet to a new gmail account - private and not work. If you are interested in playing in the 2015 solo campaign, please let me know, and for which side - British or French. If you submitted a roster previously, I will transfer your data over accordingly, and send you an invitation to the new googlesheet.

I will spend time the next few days setting things up, and will post the first scenario once we're ready to go.

Ozariig
12-31-2014, 06:21
Much thanks for setting everything up, Eric. I'm looking forward to the first scenario.

David Manley
12-31-2014, 06:54
Chaps, much as I'd like to take part in this I fear that "real life" will prevent me from giving it the attention it so richly deserves, so I shall have to pass. I shall, of course, look forward to reading the various Captain's reports to their respective Admiralties and Administrations with extreme interest.

colby_bimore
12-31-2014, 07:55
I wanted to know what Solo play rules exist for SoG (if any).

I did see a set in the Files Section. Is that what players that play SoG use to play solo?

Ozariig
12-31-2014, 08:03
That's what I use, Colby. I gave it a spin last night and I'm pretty sure the algorithm is a better sailor than I am :wink:

I found another set of solo rules (http://herkybird-richardbradley.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/how-to-use-mysails-of-glory-solo-rules.html) by Richard Bradley, but I haven't tried them out.

colby_bimore
12-31-2014, 09:01
Thank you for the update Kevin.

spiessbuerger
01-02-2015, 03:54
at your service :salute:

and a Happy New Year for all!

7eat51
01-02-2015, 09:18
Hi Matthias,

Please create a French roster. I will transfer credit from your Prussian roster, so you won't lose anything gained from the early solo missions.

Glad you'll be aboard,
Eric

7eat51
01-02-2015, 09:27
Rosters in OP and googlesheet updated

7eat51
01-02-2015, 09:34
Chaps, much as I'd like to take part in this I fear that "real life" will prevent me from giving it the attention it so richly deserves, so I shall have to pass. I shall, of course, look forward to reading the various Captain's reports to their respective Admiralties and Administrations with extreme interest.

You will be missed, David. We'll try to write engaging AARs.

Best wishes with 2015.

7eat51
01-02-2015, 09:37
I wanted to know what Solo play rules exist for SoG (if any).

I did see a set in the Files Section. Is that what players that play SoG use to play solo?

Hi Colby,

Let me know if you desire to join our solo campaign. I will help you set up a roster of captains. I played in a solo campaign on the Aerodrome for WoG; it was a great experience, and a great way to learn about the game and interact with fellow members.

Cheers,
Eric

7eat51
01-02-2015, 11:59
I created a 2015 Solo Campaign sub-forum. Everything pertaining to the 2015 solo campaign will be located there: rules, links, scenarios, AARs, discussions, Q&A, etc.

I renamed this thread, adding "Discussions".

I will be reviewing rules, charts, etc., over the next day or two.

I will be setting up ranks for the rosters for both navies; this will give us consistency across each player, and will enable us to use a promotion system for our ship captains. Any suggestions are welcome.

What do you think of the following for a British roster of eight ship captains:

Commodore
Captain
Captain
Captain
Commander
Commander
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Ozariig
01-02-2015, 12:55
Looks good to me, Eric. I suppose the French will have 8 equivalent ranks to start.

Is there an advantage in game for a ship captain to have a higher rank? Or is it just too much of a headache if one person decides to have a more or less experienced roster?

7eat51
01-02-2015, 13:30
One thing we could do regarding rank and benefit is to allow a certain number of ship captains to start with a captain ability, and require that they come from the upper ranks.

For the French, folks have used the following schemas:

Contre-amiral
Capitaine de vaisseau
Capitaine de frégate
Capitaine de frégate
Capitaine de frégate
Capitaine de corvette
Capitaine de corvette
Lieutenant de vaisseau

Chef d'escadre
Capitaine de vaisseau
Capitaine de frégate
Capitaine de frégate
Capitaine de frégate
Capitaine de corvette
Capitaine de corvette
Lieutenant de vaisseau

We should settle on a given schema, and one roughly equivalent to the British. Basically, a lower level senior officer, several at/near captain rank, and a couple junior officers.

7eat51
01-02-2015, 16:19
I have updated the Personnel Rules post in the 2015 Solo Campaign Rules thread. There are a few items to be finalized:

1. The rank structure for the British and French rosters, and the number of ship captains having the given ranks.
2. The types of ships a given ranked ship captain can command.
3. Promotion criteria, for example commanding a ship in five scenarios, or some such schema.
4. Any type of awards or medals; these are different from accruing points that enable more abilities.

Any suggestions?

Personnel Rules is the first post in this thread (http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?2978-2015-Solo-Campaign-Rules).

Union Jack
01-02-2015, 17:37
An idea for promotion: The points work like prize money for the winning captain, with that he can buy favour and promotion.
1. You start at whatever rank Eric has given you for your ship captains.
2. You gain points by taking the total top row boxes on the enemy damage chart and take away your own damage.
For example: Enemy ship has a total of 8 hull damage boxes. You defeat the enemy ship but take 4 hull damage boxes. You gain 4 points.
3. To be promoted all criteria must be in place. ie to gain the rank of post captain your 'character' must have played at least 8 missions and have 50 points.
4. Any Captains killed can be replaced by a lower 'character' but that 'character' can only gain a max of 1 promotion level.
5. Any ship without a captain can promote the 1st Officer of that ship instead. But he will start at 0 points.

Promotion........................................................POINTS
Lieutenant Commanders...........................................0
Commander upto 3 missions and................................5
Commander over 3 missions and...............................10
Captain min of 5 missions and .................................20
Post Captain min of 8 missions and...........................50
Commodore min of 8 missions and...........................100
Rear Admiral of the Blue min of 10 missions and .......150
Rear Admiral of the White min of 12 missions and......200

Of course the points can be shuffled/amended as you see fit.

Nightmoss
01-02-2015, 18:44
I have updated the Personnel Rules post in the 2015 Solo Campaign Rules thread. There are a few items to be finalized:

1. The rank structure for the British and French rosters, and the number of ship captains having the given ranks.
2. The types of ships a given ranked ship captain can command.
3. Promotion criteria, for example commanding a ship in five scenarios, or some such schema.
4. Any type of awards or medals; these are different from accruing points that enable more abilities.

Any suggestions?

Personnel Rules is the first post in this thread (http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?2978-2015-Solo-Campaign-Rules).

1. Rank structure for British and French seems fine as suggested. (As I'm sailing for the French as privateers I'm not sure which structure would be appropriate for my roster though?)
2. At least for me as a campaign the various captains, etc., would not necessarily be starting out in 1st Rates. I think it's only natural that as you advance in experience you gain promotion opportunities in upgraded and more powerful ships. How this impacts the scenario writing might be a problem though?
3. Neil's promotion criteria looks good to me. Would we want to tie captain abilities to be gained to this as well? I know in our initial test, ability advancement was tied to scenario victory conditions.
4. Not too sure about awards outside of abilities advancements? How often did the English or French admiralty's award medals to captains and/or crew? Medals and awards are fun though so maybe there's something to be given for scenario completion or and entire campaign? If this is a full year campaign maybe give awards for seasons completed in the campaign?

I'm open to all ideas and eventual implementations. I'm looking forward to some fun solo challenges and reading other AARs to see how folks do.

7eat51
01-02-2015, 20:28
1. Jim, for ease, since your roster if fighting for the French, it will assume the same rank structure as the French, i.e. for all practical purposes, the captains are French - practical reasons, that is.

2. The single highest ranking individual could start on 1st rates. Scenarios should be written somewhat generically so individuals can use what ships they have available. They can even be written with two groups in mind. When I post the first scenario, I will demonstrate what I mean, and will add a post explaining my rationale.

3. I like the general tenor of Neil's suggestion. Let's kibitz on it and make a final decision by the end of the month - not urgent given no possibility for promotions during January.

4. The medals are for the fictitious captains. There is a campaign participation medal for participants who meet that criteria. I will post that with the rules. It seems much of the medals I saw issued were awarded well after the associated engagement, so I am comfortable cutting this if that is the consensus.

7eat51
01-02-2015, 20:30
If you desire to participate, please send me your roster and email address via a PM. I will update the googlesheet accordingly.

TexSwede
01-02-2015, 20:36
Sorry if I am missing something regarding the solo campaign?

Is this intended for each player on both sides play the monthly scenario every month?

AI movement is via the solitaire chart in the files section?

To join make up 8 captains, and 8 AI captain, i.e. generate names and rank?

Which rules? Basic/Standard/Advanced?

What types of scenarios are you thinking? Will they be varied in strength to accommodate ownership? I have base plus a few additional ships.

I only have a single (full) game under my belt at this point, so would be definite landsman.

7eat51
01-02-2015, 20:51
Each player plays one scenario per month, writing an associated AAR.

The player either sails for the British or the French. Provide eight names of ship captains, ranking them from highest to lowest; you can leave off the actual ranks, and once the rank structure is finalized, I will update the rosters accordingly. I will provide the rosters for the AI ships.

The AI ships are governed by the solo charts and rules, being finalized now. The players' ships will use the appropriate solo rules, but maneuvers, etc., are planned as they would be in a face-to-face game.

The scenarios will be somewhat generic regarding ship types to accommodate players' collections. I will write the first scenario accordingly, and will write some notes as to my logic.

I played in a solo campaign on the Aerodrome; it was there that I really learned the rules. My fellow pilots were very gracious with their knowledge. In the end, the goal is to have fun in the context of a community. Mistakes happen all the time, and they are no big deal.

Nightmoss
01-02-2015, 21:03
It all sounds good, Eric. The spreadsheet rosters are shaping up nicely. I'd actually forgotten some of my lesser crew names. Will be anxious to see what you come up with for scenario no. 1. :happy:

7eat51
01-02-2015, 21:07
Will be anxious to see what you come up with for scenario no. 1.

Me too.

Just kidding. I need to do some rewriting given discussions here.

Union Jack
01-03-2015, 11:01
Can't access the roster Eric.

7eat51
01-03-2015, 12:04
Can't access the roster Eric.

PM me a current email address and I will try inviting again.

7eat51
01-05-2015, 01:03
For the solo campaign,

1. should the AI ships use ball ammo unless specifically indicated to do otherwise in a scenario's set up and victory conditions?
2. should AI ships wait to close range or take shots as opportunities arise?
3. should AI ships only use battle sails?

Maybe midway through the year, we can add additional rules for some of the advanced options, e.g. boarding, sail settings, etc. We could use the upcoming months to discuss such items.

One thing to keep in mind is that the ruleset cannot become too complex as only one person is managing everything while taking pictures and notes for the AAR. If ammo and sail settings can vary, we should develop simple rules to guide such things, and probably not concern ourselves too much with crew actions.

Union Jack
01-05-2015, 06:44
In sequence:

1. Long range = ball, then appropriately change to whatever 'shot' is in range. AI will always fire what is best to fire.
2. As there are no bonus' for double shot or first fire then take shots as opportunity arises.
3. AI Ships to close using fastest sail setting then switch to battle sail automatically when close to or about to sail within range.

I think the advantages would balance out over the game. Otherwise the AI will always be at a disadvantage, well nearly always.

Nightmoss
01-05-2015, 09:00
1. Ball ammo.
2. Fire whenever possible.
3. Battle sail continually.

From the couple of solo games I've played and posted as AAR's it was basic rules all the way and I don't think the AI ships were ever at a major disadvantage beyond maneuvering around objects like shoals, islands or coastlines. There's nothing saying we can't change this later, but I'm inclined to start simple and build on the basics.

Scenario specific rules would change any of the above of course.

Union Jack
01-05-2015, 10:21
Thank you, resolved and working great.

PM me a current email address and I will try inviting again.

TexSwede
01-05-2015, 17:38
Wasn't commodore more of an "temporary" appointment denoting the senior captain in command of multiple vessels (with no admiral present) as opposed to an actual rank?

What about being able to train crew by expending prize money/points? Like Aubrey spending his own money to put the crew through firing drills.

I realize I am new to this, but have y'all given any thought to combining it somehow with the campaign released in the competition on Ares site?

7eat51
01-05-2015, 21:45
Finn, we haven't discussed anything in relation to Ares. One thing about writing our own scenarios is the ability to customize what we do with the collections people, here, have.

We discussed crew improvements, but decided in favor of sticking with captains due to ease, especially given the amount of crew loss. As the campaign proceeds, we can look at adding rules, or even experimenting in a given scenario.

7eat51
01-05-2015, 21:49
We'll start with this,

1. ball ammo unless otherwise specified in a scenario.
2. fire whenever possible.
3. start with battle sails and adjust as necessary, such as approaching coasts, etc.

We should encourage folks not to write scenarios that take multiple, multiple turns just to close.

7eat51
01-05-2015, 21:54
Any other thoughts on the following, found in post #2? Rules are found here: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?2978-2015-Solo-Campaign-Rules

1. Maneuvering
2. Crew Damage Effects of Captains
3. Capturing Captains
4. Disengagement

Any other thoughts on the Solo Maneuver Charts - in post #5?

Nightmoss
01-05-2015, 22:31
Any other thoughts on the following, found in post #2? Rules are found here: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?2978-2015-Solo-Campaign-Rules

1. Maneuvering
2. Crew Damage Effects of Captains
3. Capturing Captains
4. Disengagement

Any other thoughts on the Solo Maneuver Charts - in post #5?

Eric, I'm biased because I've used these rules enough so that they're comfortable and seem to work well enough in the solo games I've played. Others might not feel the same?

With that said:

1. Maneuvering seems good using the charts and tables as worked on by Fred and others. If any scenario requires the AI to move towards a static object then Rolf's additional maneuver rules might need to be used?

(There's also the issue of Richard Bradley's solo rules for maneuvering, which I've look at only briefly. They appear to use a similar formula as his Wings solo rules, which entails using separate charts depending on the AI's maneuver deck plus you have to factor in windward advantage. I'm more intrigued by the current WoG solo discussions involving the Universal Diceless Solo Deck. All of this for later discussion?)

2. Crew damage effects can add up quickly and the effect on the Captain's can be devastating. Seems reasonable when you read actual accounts of battle, but the downside is getting attached to a captain, etc. only to lose him in battle. (Reading some of the recent Wings AAR's points out how much of a bummer that can be).

3. Seems straight forward enough. I'm fine with it. Did we ever discuss ransoming your captains back should they be taken in battle?

4. Also seems pretty clear and reasonable.

The only thing I'd mention involves keeping track of nos. 2, 3 and 4. It's very easy to overlook them in the heat of battle, but they're all important enough that you really need to pay close attention to them.

Thanks for all you work in moving this forward. Cheers!

7eat51
01-05-2015, 23:09
Roster updated:

British
Eric (7eat51)
Neil (Union Jack)
Finn (TexSwede)

French
Jim (Nightmoss)
Matthias (spiessbuerger)
Kevin (Ozariig)

Union Jack
01-06-2015, 17:00
Similar to the critical hit deck we use on the aerodrome site I have uploaded (still in moderation) a pdf and word file (both the same) as an example of a Critical Wound Deck for Captains. The word file can be amended to suit. This may help in deciding whether you loose a captain outright or he lives that little bit longer to fight another day.

Sicilian Sailor
01-07-2015, 11:54
Can someone offer some clarification on disengaging AI ships? Do they head straight for their side of the play area, or do they continue to roll on the movement chart? I have just begun to test the solo rules, and ran into this situation. Also, how do you handle movement for ships that have collided / entangled, and are now free to move? Do they both perform a backing maneuver to get clear of one another?
I have enjoyed they few games I have tested, but I am unsure if I am handling these situations correctly.

Thanks for all the work you guys do in developing the solo game system.

TexSwede
01-07-2015, 19:04
Excited for this, the AI rules look good - looks like a possible candidate for a simple mobile app, pick ship locations, direction and distance (wind as a setting), and it would spit out the matching card number.

For the player are we using the basic, standard or advanced rules? For time constraints (and being new) I was thinking of standard plus some optional rules plus wind if that is ok? I have been reading some AAR and some of the larger fleet actions, and from reading (don't have enough experience playing yet) that seemed to me a good balance. Looking for feedback on this, so please chime in one way or another.

My fleet (and the enemy's :takecover:) received reinforcements today - so extra excited. Unfortunately Orient arrived with a broken foremast, but now I can field multiple SOLs on each side with a first rate in command :happy: Also could not resist some frigates (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sails-of-Glory-Frigates-1st-Series-/231444982988?pt=Games_US&hash=item35e3322ccc) but on the other hand turning "The answer to the ultimate question" only happens once in your lifetime" (which is what my wife said when I told her :drinks:)

7eat51
01-09-2015, 06:59
Here are some file uploads that were just approved. Let me know your thoughts about incorporation to the solo campaign.

A set of solo rules: http://sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=97

AI interception rules: http://sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=98

Critical wound cards: http://sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=99
and in Word format: http://sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=100

I'm heading to work, but posts 49 and 50 have some questions we need to discuss.

CSherrange
01-09-2015, 08:39
Love the composite solo rules, looks like a much easier time understanding AI movement

CSherrange
01-09-2015, 08:47
I would prefer the advanced rules myself, but that is whatever folks would like to do. I think AI should bank away from boarding, unless they have more crew.

Nightmoss
01-09-2015, 12:18
If we go with the new solo rules, plus a higher level of complexity I'm not going to be ready for the campaign until I get the rules printed, unlearn the old solo rules and play several games with the new rules, charts, etc. I don't recall even using standard rules in the prior solo scenarios as we were initially supposed to stick to basic rules only.

I'm not saying we shouldn't move to new rules or a higher level of play, but it will take me some time to get with the new program.

Ozariig
01-09-2015, 13:59
My impression with solo play is that it takes quite a bit longer than playing with someone else. So my vote is whichever solo rules and difficulty level makes the games quicker.

I suspect that will be Basic with the old solo rules, for now :happy: Maybe we can start another thread for a thorough comparison of the different sets of solo rules?

TexSwede
01-11-2015, 20:56
These rules look very interesting, I will have to try them out hopefully soon. Am I correct in the interception rules are for more than a ruler length, and the power monkey composite (???) is for closer?

When playing a scenario can I have for ex playing as the glorious British navy decide to add ships to the French side and include poor gunners on that side if it fits with the theme?

7eat51
01-13-2015, 09:20
So we can get started, how about using the original set of maneuvers and the rule set as written in the solo rule thread form January and February? That will enable us to test them and compare to suggestions made as of late. We can answer questions specifically regarding those rules. For March, we can discuss any amendments over the next two months.

Solo play does take longer. Not only is one person managing multiple ships, but taking notes and pictures and then writing an AAR. The time to play is not the only time commitment for those participating in the campaign.

Ozariig
01-13-2015, 10:54
Sounds good to me, Admiral! :salute:

Nightmoss
01-13-2015, 11:17
The original solo rules works for me (January and February). I am interested in using the new solo rules from Richard as similarities to the Wings solo rules would be an added benefit. I'm getting into the WSF side of solo play and am especially interested in the Universal Diceless Solo Deck. Seeing that makes me wonder if something similar could be developed for our Sails of Glory solo play?

In any case, ready when you are Admiral.

7eat51
01-20-2015, 14:01
Updated the rosters and the link to the goolesheet on the 2015 solo rule thread.

7eat51
01-22-2015, 08:28
Garrett (Grogmaker) has joined the ranks of the Royal Navy.

Neil is up for February's scenario.

Nightmoss
01-22-2015, 19:00
I just looked at our roster and I think I need to update some information? I've not assigned French ranks for my roster, which I believe should be the case even as privateers?

Should be as follows:

Lieutenant de vaisseau Duncan Parmenter
Lieutenant de vaisseau Damian Corzo
Capitaine de frégate Brian Coineagan AC
Capitaine de frégate Jaden Marcussen
Capitaine de corvette Hubert Hartwich
Capitaine de corvette Guido Giovino
Capitaine de vaisseau Angus Remmington CC
Capitaine de vaisseau Jean-Pierre Santos

Abilities Aiming Captain goes to Brian Coineagan and Charismatic Captain to Angus Remmington.

There were no ability points awarded for the July scenario, but Remmington should have 2 ability points for the August scenario, if you were going to carry those over? I think that's it for now, back to my AAR.

7eat51
01-22-2015, 19:14
I'll update accordingly, Jim.

Is the Anchorage acting weird? For example, all the medals under our names look odd.

Nightmoss
01-22-2015, 19:54
I'll update accordingly, Jim.

Is the Anchorage acting weird? For example, all the medals under our names look odd.

Thanks! Everything on the Anchorage looks OK to me. Site was a bit slow earlier today, but that's all I've noticed.

7eat51
01-22-2015, 21:41
I just updated the roster, Jim. I will populate the AI rosters by tomorrow evening.

Points will carry over.

I probably need to log off and on; the pages are not loading completely.

Nightmoss
01-22-2015, 22:47
I just updated the roster, Jim. I will populate the AI rosters by tomorrow evening.

Points will carry over.

I probably need to log off and on; the pages are not loading completely.

Thanks again, Eric. As I said I'm in no rush, especially as I seem to have AAR writers block at the moment. Perhaps I need to read some Patrick O'Brian to better frame my mindset?

CSherrange
01-23-2015, 07:54
Playing the Jan. scenario tonight and over the weekend. Realy looking forward to it!

7eat51
01-23-2015, 10:44
Charles, if you see any needed tweaks, please let me know.

I hope you enjoy the scenario.

CSherrange
01-23-2015, 11:08
Charles, if you see any needed tweaks, please let me know.

I hope you enjoy the scenario.

I'm sure i will. Going to run it with small frigates as this is their cup of tea

7eat51
01-23-2015, 12:47
I am not sure with which ship I will start. I need to decide who will be my lead captain regarding story. I had one pilot in OTT-Final Months that was the "main character". I would like to do the same here.

I'll sail this on Monday or Tuesday.

Nightmoss
01-23-2015, 13:11
I am not sure with which ship I will start. I need to decide who will be my lead captain regarding story. I had one pilot in OTT-Final Months that was the "main character". I would like to do the same here.

I'll sail this on Monday or Tuesday.

Eric, not to be a pest because I'm really in no rush, but did you decide whether I should add additional crew damage rolls affecting the captains for this scenario?

As for choice of captains I think I'll be mixing them up just so they all get some mat time experience. Of course if some are injured or killed in action that rather forces the use of other folks on the rosters. :shock:

7eat51
01-23-2015, 13:29
Jim, I have been thinking about this a bit.

Here is the original rule:

When half of a ship's Crew Damage boxes, rounded up, are filled, roll two six-sided dice to determine the effect on the ship's captain. Re-roll each time the ship takes additional crew damage.

Crew Damage Effects on Captain Table
2 or less - the captain is killed
3 - the captain is severely wounded; skip 2-4 scenarios
4 - the captain is wounded; skip 1 scenario
5+ - the captain escaped injury

Modifiers to Crew Damage Effects on Captains Die Rolls
-1 if Crew Damage is caused by musket fire
-1 if Crew Damage is caused by a rear raking shot
-1 if all of the Crew Damage boxes are filled
More than one modifier can apply on a given die roll

It seems to me that we should move to a two-step process like the following - first to determine if injured, and second to determine state of injury at end of scenario:

When half of a ship's Crew Damage boxes, rounded up, are filled, roll two six-sided dice to determine the effect on the ship's captain. Re-roll each time the ship takes additional crew damage.

2-4: Captain wounded
5+: Captain unharmed

-1 if Crew Damage is caused by grapeshot
-2 if Crew Damage is caused by a rear raking shot
-3 if all of the Crew Damage boxes are filled

If the captain is wounded, roll one 6-sided die to determine nature of injury.

1 or less - the captain is killed
2 - the captain is severely wounded; skip 2-4 scenarios
3 - the captain is wounded; skip 1 scenario
4+ - the captain survives with minor wounds

Modifiers to Captain Wound Effects
-1 if captain was wounded via a rear-raking shot
-1 if captain was wounded via musket fire
-1 if all Crew Damage boxes are filled

Thoughts?

Nightmoss
01-23-2015, 13:58
Jim, I have been thinking about this a bit.

Here is the original rule:

Crew Damage Effects on Captain Table
2 or less - the captain is killed
3 - the captain is severely wounded; skip 2-4 scenarios
4 - the captain is wounded; skip 1 scenario
5+ - the captain escaped injury

-1 if Crew Damage is caused by a rear raking shot
-1 if all of the Crew Damage boxes are filled

It seems to me that we should move to a two-step process like the following - first to determine if injured, and second to determine state of injury at end of scenario:

2-4: Captain wounded
5+: Captain unharmed

-1 if Crew Damage is caused by grapeshot
-2 if Crew Damage is caused by a rear raking shot
-3 if all of the Crew Damage boxes are filled

If the captain is wounded, roll one 6-sided die to determine nature of injury.

1 or less - the captain is killed
2 - the captain is severely wounded; skip 2-4 scenarios
3 - the captain is wounded; skip 1 scenario
4+ - the captain survives with minor wounds

Modifiers to Captain Wound Effects
-1 if captain was wounded via a rear-raking shot
-1 if captain was wounded via musket fire
-1 if all Crew Damage boxes are filled

Thoughts?

I like the two step process. My only question would involve the statistical odds of rolling a 2-4 on two six sided dice or a one on a six side die in relation to realistic chances of captain injury? I'm not all that knowledgeable concerning odds, etc., so I'll leave that to others to discuss.

This will add more tracking responsibilities, especially with more than one ship per side. This in turn may get cumbersome as crew damage does mount up quickly even in the basic game and that adds to bookkeeping.

Bottom line, however, I'll go with whatever folks deem best.

Union Jack
01-23-2015, 13:58
Looks good Eric. Same idea as we run in 'OTT' and 'Fire from the Skies'. I like it.

7eat51
01-23-2015, 13:59
I think the tension is between ease of determination and realism. It would be easy to have a rule that states when a ship has three boxes left, roll a die and on a 1-2, the captain is wounded. When there are two boxes left, a 1-4 and the captain is wounded. When there is one box left, the captain is wounded. Then at the end of the game, roll for nature of wound. The previous post adds a bit more flavor.

7eat51
01-23-2015, 14:03
Looks like we, three, were writing at the same time.

As to statistics, Jim, I, too, will leave that discussion to others as I do not have the time to research such things. I think for our purpose, though, if a rule provides the flavor we're looking for, and makes some sense intuitively, then it is fine. We're not publishing anything; this is basically for us to have a good time.

I have an idea for tracking I will work on this weekend.

Nightmoss
01-23-2015, 14:09
Looks like we, three, were writing at the same time.

As to statistics, Jim, I, too, will leave that discussion to others as I do not have the time to research such things. I think for our purpose, though, if a rule provides the flavor we're looking for, and makes some sense intuitively, then it is fine. We're not publishing anything; this is basically for us to have a good time.

I have an idea for tracking I will work on this weekend.

I'm going to go ahead and use your proposed rules for my AAR and roll the results when I wrap up the narrative. We still are somewhat in test mode concerning SoG solo play so let's try it and if it doesn't work we'll alter it later. :happy:

7eat51
01-23-2015, 14:12
Sounds good, Jim. I'll do the same. As you say, we're in test mode.

I will update the rules page next week, after others have had a chance to chime in. I will add the proposed change to the scenario thread as an option.

spiessbuerger
01-24-2015, 07:10
Sounds good, Jim. I'll do the same. As you say, we're in test mode.

I will update the rules page next week, after others have had a chance to chime in. I will add the proposed change to the scenario thread as an option.

I also like the idea of simplyfied crew damage effects for the captain. I found the original rules too viscous and badly remindable.
Will play the january scenario today evening (when the rest of my "crew" sleeps :sleep:) and test the new rules.

CSherrange
01-26-2015, 14:39
Got roughly about halfway through the scenario. It's "on pause" right now until I can go back to finihs it later this week. Loving it so far!

7eat51
01-29-2015, 04:59
Got roughly about halfway through the scenario. It's "on pause" right now until I can go back to finihs it later this week. Loving it so far!

I'm glad you're enjoying it thus far. I will play it either this afternoon or on Saturday. I was hoping to have sailed it earlier in the week, but several items popped up at work. I need to speak with my boss sometime; I don't think he realizes we have games to play.

Union Jack
01-29-2015, 15:54
Couple of weeks before I can get this one played, apologies, but work has taken a precedence at the moment. Plus its the Vapnartak show this weekend and I still have some planning to do for that.

We'll get there.

Scenario 2 is written and awaiting publication 1st week in February...oops that's next week, silly me.

7eat51
01-29-2015, 21:56
Best wishes with the show, Neil.

We'll look forward to reading your AAR and scenario whenever you can post them.

Union Jack
02-03-2015, 15:57
Scenario uploaded for your perusal Apologies for small map.

7eat51
02-12-2015, 12:18
I need to head back to work for a bit.

I will read the recently uploaded AARs and update the rosters by Friday evening. I look forward to reading them.

Union Jack
02-16-2015, 07:04
Anybody taking on the scenario for March?

spiessbuerger
02-16-2015, 08:53
Anybody taking on the scenario for March?
Sorry. No time for developing now. But I have an idea for a scenario I want to make true for April or May.

7eat51
02-18-2015, 06:10
Jan (Jason) has joined the French fleet.

CSherrange
02-19-2015, 14:14
i would like to create a scenario please, perhaps June-ish???

Mycenius
02-21-2015, 00:30
Eric,

Count me in. Although an Anglophile I will sail for the French for this I think! Balances the numbers out too! I will PM you a list of names for my Captains later tonight. I am happy to do a scenario - but make it later in the year please as I have never played a game of SoG to date (so need a few months to get semi-proficient)!

FYI currently my French & British fleets are roughly equal (I'm resisting buying more 74's immediately to see if new sculpts come out and/or some 64's & 80's) and am not planning on making them too much bigger overall (about 6-8 SOLs max each):

Unrated Sloops (14 Guns): 1 French, 1 British*
5th Rate (32 Guns): 2 French, 2 British, 1 Spanish*
5th Rate (40 Guns): 1 French*, 1 British*
3rd Rate (74 Guns): 2 French, 2 British, 1 Spanish*
1st Rate (100 Guns): 2 British*/**
1st Rate (104 Guns): 1 British* (HMS Victory)
1st Rate (118 Guns): 2 French*

* Some or all of these items are still in transit to me or are on order so probably not available in time for me to complete the first 2 scenarios.
** One is dismasted (HMS Queen Charlotte) - I'm working on repairs!

:salute:

7eat51
02-22-2015, 11:26
Charles, you have June.

John, you have July. Whenever your ships arrive, jump in with January and catch up as you are able. We're glad your aboard.

7eat51
02-22-2015, 11:29
Does anyone want to write March's scenario? If no takers by Friday, I will write it over next weekend.

Mycenius
02-22-2015, 16:42
John, you have July. Whenever your ships arrive, jump in with January and catch up as you are able. We're glad your aboard.

Cheers Eric. Hoping to get into Jan Scenario later this week if I have adequate Ships (currently onhand French: 3 x 74, 2 x 32, 1 x 14 and British: 1 x 100, 2 x 74, 2 x 32).

:happy:

EDIT/FOOTNOTE: As fate would have it a parcel arrived (later) today with most of my remaining vessels - so should be pretty good to go!

:thumbsup:

Nightmoss
02-22-2015, 21:28
Does anyone want to write March's scenario? If no takers by Friday, I will write it over next weekend.

Eric, I can take a stab at March? I've got a couple ideas in mind. If I can't flesh them out before Friday I'd certainly let you know.

7eat51
02-23-2015, 00:28
if I have adequate Ships

We're trying to write scenarios that are ship generic, if you will, to accommodate different collections. If a situation ever arises when there is a mismatch, we'll always adjust for any given player to participate. In the end, it is about us coming together and enjoying playing with each other, sharing our stories, etc. As the song says, "It's all about the fun, about the fun, about the fun."

Eric, I can take a stab at March? I've got a couple ideas in mind. If I can't flesh them out before Friday I'd certainly let you know.

Jim, March is yours. Take as much time as you need. I will write April's. That leaves May, and we'll have the next several months covered.

Mycenius
02-23-2015, 01:04
We're trying to write scenarios that are ship generic, if you will, to accommodate different collections. If a situation ever arises when there is a mismatch, we'll always adjust for any given player to participate. In the end, it is about us coming together and enjoying playing with each other, sharing our stories, etc. As the song says, "It's all about the fun, about the fun, about the fun."

All good Eric - I'll download the scenario info and familiarise myself with the solo rules and hopefully have a crack at the Jan scenario later this week or at the weekend...

:salute:

Mycenius
02-23-2015, 01:12
Eric & Crew,

1. Can I just confirm I have the correct Solo Rules please - could you send link to them to confirm?

2. Are we playing Basic or Standard Game Rules (assume we aren't playing Advanced)?

3. Ummm, I might be blonde - where's the January Scenario hiding?

TIA

:question:

P.S. Eric - might be nice to have a post updating all this info in one place with links to scenarios for each month for anyone else who joins?

7eat51
02-23-2015, 22:22
Here are the rules, and in one of the posts, the links to the rosters and maneuver chart: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?2978-2015-Solo-Campaign-Rules

Here is January's mission: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?3011-January-s-Solo-Mission-When-the-Fog-Lifts

We are using a combo of Basic/Standard/House.

I have a thread started to collect all the scenarios in one place, etc. I wrapped up a doctoral course yesterday, and I finish teaching an accelerated course this week, so I plan on catching up on everyone's AARs, rosters, etc. throughout this week and weekend, along with sailing February's mission.

Mycenius
02-24-2015, 00:58
Here are the rules, and in one of the posts, the links to the rosters and maneuver chart: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?2978-2015-Solo-Campaign-Rules

Here is January's mission: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?3011-January-s-Solo-Mission-When-the-Fog-Lifts

I have a thread started to collect all the scenarios in one place, etc. I wrapped up a doctoral course yesterday, and I finish teaching an accelerated course this week, so I plan on catching up on everyone's AARs, rosters, etc. throughout this week and weekend, along with sailing February's mission.

Awesome! :happy:

Assume the combo game rules thing is detailed in the campaign rules?

7eat51
02-24-2015, 21:51
Assume the combo game rules thing is detailed in the campaign rules?

Yes - basically, the campaign rules and the maneuvering rules combine those aspects of official and house rules we're using for the campaign. As the year proceeds, we can experiment with other rules, and scenario writers can add rules for a given scenario.

I think folks will be surprised how the basic and standard rules will prove their worth, especially for solo play. I have played many WoG solo scenarios, and the vast majority did not use altitude or many of the advanced rules, i.e. the rule flavor is very similar to what we are currently using here. Every scenario flown was very enjoyable and fulfilling; I dare say my fellow participants would say the same.

TexaS
02-25-2015, 00:55

Thoughts?

Not that I'm active in solo play, but here's a few thoughts from reading during a train ride...

First rates will easier loose from crew loss as the damage boxes increase more than crew boxes as they will take more damage not only due to more damage boxes, but also higher burden. A first rate that have twelve crew boxes will check six times for captain wounds before it is out of the battle.

On the other hand, HMS Swan will have seven crew boxes and will if it strikes from crew damage, which is less likely, only make three checks.

Agreed that the first rate will take a lot more fire before striking, but is the difference that big?

Does "Re-roll each time the ship takes additional crew damage" mean for every chit or for every broadside or for every turn?

4 or less in two D6 is 1 in 6 but with modifiers the chances differ very much.

1 in 6, three times is about 50% and 1 in 6 six, times is about 75%. Modifiers will naturally modify these number.

Mycenius
02-25-2015, 02:10

1. I'm sorry Eric but I am still unclear exactly what this is? It's not in the thread with the campaign rules and AI Movement info... Exactly which Standard & Advanced Rules are being used - is this determined solely on a scenario by scenario basis??

Also two other clarifications please:

2. Is there a table for minimum rank to command each type of ship (e.g. must be a Commander to command a large Frigate 40-guns, a Captain or higher to command a 74, Commodore/Admiral to command 100/118?) - one of the benefits of captains victory points listed was gaining rank to command larger ships right?

3. When choosing AI Captains is the rule of thumb (or the rule) to choose the highest ranking best qualified (i.e. most special abilities) each time? Or totally random, or you just choose from what you believe is the best benefit to the AI side perspective? I assume you wouldn't put a Commodore/Admiral commanding a Sloop or 32 gun Frigate in a scenario with no larger ships?

Otherwise I think I am about ready to shove off as soon as my AI Captains' Roster is ready....

Nightmoss
02-25-2015, 09:21
John, I'll let Eric answer all of your questions as he's been coordinating the campaign.

However, I can tell you that this first year of the solo campaign is pretty much a shakedown cruise so we can standardize the rules for future. At the end of last year when we started out only the Basic Rules were going to be used, but very quickly players added in some of the Standard Rules to increase the challenge and realism. I'm still using only the Basic Rules for the most part, but I'm planning on implementing some of the Standard Rules and perhaps some of the more appealing House Rules to enhance the play. I think the Basic Rules work just fine for solo play and it certainly helps move the game along as you spend a significant amount of time 'bookkeeping" the action for the subsequent AAR. Cheers!

Mycenius
02-25-2015, 18:30
However, I can tell you that this first year of the solo campaign is pretty much a shakedown cruise so we can standardize the rules for future. At the end of last year when we started out only the Basic Rules were going to be used, but very quickly players added in some of the Standard Rules to increase the challenge and realism. I'm still using only the Basic Rules for the most part, but I'm planning on implementing some of the Standard Rules and perhaps some of the more appealing House Rules to enhance the play. I think the Basic Rules work just fine for solo play and it certainly helps move the game along as you spend a significant amount of time 'bookkeeping" the action for the subsequent AAR. Cheers!

7eat51
02-25-2015, 21:24
Jonas, would you suggest keeping the probability of captain injury to remain constant, and only be modified by things such a musket fire? Why or why not? The beauty of the solo campaign is the opportunity to flesh out solo rules, with the goal that by year's end, we have something well thought out and play-tested, keeping in mind we're not creating a detailed simulation but a quick and accessible set of rules.

John, by Basic/Standard, I am referring to the appropriate sections of the Ares rules set; by house rules, I am referring to items like the above paragraph. Does this make sense?

As for rank and ship, we have not codified anything yet, but have briefly discussed that there should be a measure of congruence. This thread is just the place to hash this out.

As for choosing AI captains, I suggest choosing what makes sense for a given scenario. This is a gentleman's game, and as such, players hold not try to take advantage of anything regarding the AI component; in fact, I suggest erring in favor of the AI when a clearly best choice is not forthcoming.

Mycenius
02-25-2015, 23:36
Hey Eric,

John, by Basic/Standard, I am referring to the appropriate sections of the Ares rules set; by house rules, I am referring to items like the above paragraph. Does this make sense?

Nope! :question: :wink:

Still doesn't tell me which standard or advanced or optional or house rules we are using! :wink:

e.g. What rules did you use in your game for the Jan scenario, what did Jim use in his Feb Scenario game he did an AAR for recently?

I shall press on with what I think I should do but fitting enough with the January Scenario it's all pretty shrouded in fog & mist at present! :wink:

As for rank and ship, we have not codified anything yet, but have briefly discussed that there should be a measure of congruence. This thread is just the place to hash this out.

Right you are, therefore I tentatively propose (using only the ship classes available officially in the game for now) as a draft idea for dismemberment:

Minimum Rank to Command:
Unrated / Sloops (14) - Lieutenants
5th Rates / Standard Frigates (32) - Lieutenants
4th & 5th Rates / Large Frigates (40) - Commanders
3rd Rate SOLs (74) - Commanders
1st & 2nd Rates (100-118) - Captains

Maximum Rank that can Command:
Unrated / Sloops (14) - Commanders or less
5th Rates / Standard Frigates (32) - Captain or less
4th & 5th Rates / Large Frigates (40) - Admiral
3rd Rate SOLs (74) - Admiral
1st & 2nd Rates (100-118) - Admiral

Exceptions:
1. A player's highest ranking surviving officer can always command the largest ship present regardless and so forth... (e.g. a Lieutenant a 74 if no higher officers left)
2. The player's largest ship available in any game with a multiple ship squadron can always be commanded by the highest available officer, and Unrated/5th Rates can always be commanded by the lowest ranked surviving officer...
3. Special Cases (e.g. Prize Crews) are obviously excepted.

May be more than is needed and/or maybe could be simplified - but I guess there has to be an incentive to use lower ranked officers and/or officers with no bonus skills in some scenarios? Logically the player will usually use the same officers repeatedly in each scenario right to try and gain enough points to gain skills?

As for choosing AI captains, I suggest choosing what makes sense for a given scenario. This is a gentleman's game, and as such, players hold not try to take advantage of anything regarding the AI component; in fact, I suggest erring in favor of the AI when a clearly best choice is not forthcoming.

Indeed. Understood and as Expected. :salute:

Mycenius
02-25-2015, 23:39
BTW - just remembered one last question I had for now:

Is there any limit on what or how many skills any Officer (Captain) can accumulate?

Nightmoss
02-26-2015, 08:56
BTW - just remembered one last question I had for now:

Is there any limit on what or how many skills any Officer (Captain) can accumulate?

I would say there's no limit, which effectively copies what will be occurring with the captains cards coming with HMS Victory and USS Constitution. But, we're in test mode and Eric may want to hold off on that aspect of the campaign?

Mycenius
02-27-2015, 22:17
When ships are required to disengage do they have to:

(a) flee to the closest table edge (unless otherwise specified), or
(b) flee to a nominal base line (a specific table ege)

Wording in Solo Rules Thread suggests (b) but the Jan Scenario and context imply (a)?

Does a disengaged ship that reaches the table edge then count as surrendered as per the official game rules? I have been assuming not as Solo stuff will supercede (but thought I'd better check)?!

Ship AI movement seems to work very well - although it's a bit embarrassing to be out manoeuvred by it! (AAR: Jan 2015 - When the Fog Lifts - A Dark Day For France (http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?3118-AAR-Jan-2015-When-the-Fog-Lifts-A-Dark-Day-For-France))

Mycenius
02-28-2015, 15:10
What happens with the AI when you roll a "0" Card but your vessel doesn't have one (i.e. it's too large)? I had this happen in Jan scenario but luckily ship was being taken aback anyway - so it was inconsequential! Do you just take the next card along the AI track? e.g. if you rolled a 6 and it is a 0 card and 5 is a 1 card just treat roll as a 5?

Iron Outlaw
03-03-2015, 20:07
Hi Eric!

I am still having a problem interpreting one aspect of the manoeuvring rules.

The 1st rule states, "Choose the quadrant which the majority of the appropriate ship is in." The 4 quadrants of what exactly? I thought initially it referred to the 4 quadrants of the ship, but then the second part of the rule, "If the ship is equally in two sectors, choose the quadrant containing the front of the ship," doesn't fit that interpretation as the quadrants around a ship are constant in relation to the ship. Also, does the word "sector" stand for those same quadrants?

I think I am correct in understanding the quadrants referred to in the next rule apply to the 4 quadrants of a ship. It seems to make sense if they do.

Just a thought on the rules, might it be useful to number the sections and paragraphs as per military manuals.

Many thanks mate, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Cheers

Mycenius
03-04-2015, 00:34
Brad - there is a diagram in the solo manoeuvring rules to explain it - basically draw an + symbol over the centre of your ship - you have 4 quadrants, they are lettered A, B, C, D. The Solo Manoeuvring Chart has a sample process on the second page of the PDF.

Mycenius
03-04-2015, 00:36
The 1st rule states, "Choose the quadrant which the majority of the appropriate ship is in." The 4 quadrants of what exactly? I thought initially it referred to the 4 quadrants of the ship, but then the second part of the rule, "If the ship is equally in two sectors, choose the quadrant containing the front of the ship," doesn't fit that interpretation as the quadrants around a ship are constant in relation to the ship. Also, does the word "sector" stand for those same quadrants?

P.S. Brad - you should have This Manoeuvre Chart (http://sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=84)?

Iron Outlaw
03-04-2015, 05:21
Thanks John

Yes I have the manoeuvre chart, but when the rule asks me to choose a quadrant with "most of the ship" in it, a ship is equally located in each quadrant, and 2 of the quadrants contain the front part of the ship. It seems to be a question of the wording defining the ship or ships. Maybe I should, for example, be reading it as, "Choose the quadrant of my ship that most of the other ship appears to be in, relative to it being observed from my ship." That would seem to make it more clear, assuming I have it correctly, so that if an enemy ship is off my port bow, she is in that quadrant of my own ship.

God bless the English language!

Many thanks guys for bearing with this!

Iron Outlaw
03-04-2015, 23:28
Many thanks for the members who have persevered with my being able to interpret the rules, your posts have been most appreciated.

I was thinking that the trouble I was having interpreting that one rule in particular possibly stems from coming into this at the time I did. Most of the members here would have been involved with the development of the rules and, as they were written. it was self explanatory.

Also, I hope you will all forgive me, but I have taken the liberty of upgrading the rules just a tad to make them more easily referred to and I have clarified the first 2 paras in Manoeuvring. The file is attached and I would be interested in your views.

Cheers

Mycenius
03-05-2015, 01:19
Thanks John

Yes I have the manoeuvre chart, but when the rule asks me to choose a quadrant with "most of the ship" in it, a ship is equally located in each quadrant, and 2 of the quadrants contain the front part of the ship....

Apologies Brad - I sped read your post and fired off a quick response without actually digesting what you were actually asking! Mea culpa! :embarass:

P.S. I see I've quietly slipped into the Midshipman ranks too a few posts ago without even realising it... :steer:

Nightmoss
03-05-2015, 09:09
Congrats John on your advancement. :salute:

Mycenius
03-05-2015, 19:21
Congrats John on your advancement. :salute:

Aye aye, Captain Nightmoss! :salute:

TexaS
03-05-2015, 23:56
Welcome to the midshipmen's berth. Make yourself at home. :drinks:

Mycenius
03-06-2015, 02:06
Welcome to the midshipmen's berth. Make yourself at home. :drinks:

Why thank you my good sir! Is Horatio about...? :wink:

(Hornblower that is, not Nelson) :wink:

7eat51
03-06-2015, 05:05
Hi John,

1: I like the rank-class scheme you developed. Unless others have input by early next week, we'll adopt it. I think scenario writers should feel free to do something different in service of a good story, but such instances would always be an exception, and should only occur for good reason.

2. I do not see any reason to limit Captain Abilities. No captain is starting out with more than one, so if a captain is so successful to gain multiple ones, then a legend has arisen.

7eat51
03-06-2015, 05:15
Regarding disengagement, ships should sail to their respective ports/fleets, unless a scenario writer has good reason to direct otherwise.

In January's scenario, a disengaged AI ship would set sail directly for its intended course trying to put distance between it and the player's ship. The goal for the AI ship was to sail east, and being closer to that destination than the originating port, it would have made additional sense to do so, especially given the higher probability of friendly ships near the home nation's border.

When a disengaged ship sails off the mat, it does not surrender by successfully gets away. At some point, we have to call it. We could extend mats and keep a chase up, but such endeavors should be the nature of a given scenario, and not a requirement for a player to complete. If the opposing force cannot stop a fleeing ship by the time the ship sails off, so be it.

7eat51
03-06-2015, 05:24
What happens with the AI when you roll a "0" Card but your vessel doesn't have one (i.e. it's too large)? I had this happen in Jan scenario but luckily ship was being taken aback anyway - so it was inconsequential! Do you just take the next card along the AI track? e.g. if you rolled a 6 and it is a 0 card and 5 is a 1 card just treat roll as a 5?

According to the chart rules: If AI ship's deck lacks the indicated card, use tightest turn available

So whenever a ship is directed to make a turn beyond its ability, use the sharpest turn in the given direction.

As to basic/standard rules, I refer to the basic Ares scheme of how to maneuver, resolve fire, record damage, etc. Any solo-campaign rule would supersede rules-as-written, but we are not wanting to rewrite Ares' basic scheme. For now, we're avoiding most of the advanced/optional rules such as crew actions, most special damage, etc. One, this enables us to flesh out and solidify the AI mechanism, campaign rules, etc., and, two, the games do not become unwieldily for players; between playing, shooting photos, and reading and writing AARs, there is a decent chunk of time invested. Based on experience with WoG solo play, keeping the rules relatively basic has served well over time, especially when a given scenario has unique requirements.

7eat51
03-06-2015, 05:31
Many thanks for the members who have persevered with my being able to interpret the rules, your posts have been most appreciated.

I was thinking that the trouble I was having interpreting that one rule in particular possibly stems from coming into this at the time I did. Most of the members here would have been involved with the development of the rules and, as they were written. it was self explanatory.

Also, I hope you will all forgive me, but I have taken the liberty of upgrading the rules just a tad to make them more easily referred to and I have clarified the first 2 paras in Manoeuvring. The file is attached and I would be interested in your views.

Cheers

Hi Brad,

I just started reading through these, but realized I need to head to work. I will continue with them and the catching up on posts later today. Immediately, I saw the benefit of using rule numbers as opposed to bullet points. How something so obvious escaped notice before …

TexaS
03-06-2015, 14:25
I see that you have uneven numbers. I will have a little more time on my hands from next week. I will answer the call of the King and join on the side of the British if that would be practical. I might catch up in a month or two.

Mycenius
03-06-2015, 18:21
I see that you have uneven numbers. I will have a little more time on my hands from next week. I will answer the call of the King and join on the side of the British if that would be practical. I might catch up in a month or two.

Good Man! :thumbsup: :wink:

Although half the captains don't seem to be sailing at all this season... :hmmm: :question:

Mycenius
03-06-2015, 18:40
Hi John,

1: I like the rank-class scheme you developed. Unless others have input by early next week, we'll adopt it. I think scenario writers should feel free to do something different in service of a good story, but such instances would always be an exception, and should only occur for good reason.

Cool - there is probably a much simpler way to write it - don't want to add complexity but then for fairly straightforward scenarios with only 1 or 2 ships when several captains are available you don't want the Commodore/Amiral commanding a Sloop simply because he's got 3 special abilities or something just to get him 'on table' (or vice versa the junior lieutenant commanding a 100 gunner for the same reason)...

2. I do not see any reason to limit Captain Abilities. No captain is starting out with more than one, so if a captain is so successful to gain multiple ones, then a legend has arisen.

Very Good, Sir! :salute:

Iron Outlaw
03-07-2015, 00:03
Hi Jon

I am in the process of getting a roster of ship commanders and have been considering your maximum ranks to command. I have always understood that admirals had, and still have, captains to command their vessels as they were too occupied commanding a squadron or more. Even if the captain was out of action, the 1st lieutenant, or XO, would take command.

I just realised, that might mean captains and XO's for our crews! Horatio and Archie?

Cheers

TexaS
03-07-2015, 00:17
But sir Edward Pellew did command a heavy frigate as a commodore and led a squadron of frigates at the time. I have no memory of any captain on his ship...

Edit: Agreed that a commodore isn't an admiral, but I do believe it's considered a flag officer.

Iron Outlaw
03-07-2015, 02:32
Good point, probably an uncommon event maybe.

Cheers

Mycenius
03-07-2015, 02:46
Hey Brad (and Jonas) - yes good points and I am aware of them... I am speaking just from a game perspective not an historical one - our 'captains' don't truely represent how command in a squadron would actually be structured nor should they - and I'm sure we are all gentlemen but we should still try to avoid any extreme gamey situations (like The examples I alluded to below) by some simple guide perhaps?

...you don't want the Commodore/Amiral commanding a Sloop simply because he's got 3 special abilities or something just to get him 'on table' (or vice versa the junior lieutenant commanding a 100 gunner for the same reason)...

TexaS
03-07-2015, 03:41
Hm... That gave me an idea for another solo scenario where you have command of a squadron and one of your ships, a small frigate, is commanded by the AI and you will have to keep it alive.

7eat51
03-07-2015, 07:27

it would be great to have fight alongside us against those nasty Frenchies. :hatsoff:

7eat51
03-07-2015, 07:34
John, your thinking about not stacking a scenario with an unrealistic rank simply because said captain has many abilities. Such gameplay defeats one of the purposes of the campaign - to have fun among friends. This isn't a competition, nor is it about ego. The game, itself, should be enjoyable regardless of win or loss.

Jonas, let me know when, and we'll reserve that slot for your scenario. Another option would be for the commanding ship to be run by the AI and the player's ship has to respond accordingly. Such scenarios are good opportunities to develop and test house rules regarding coordinated maneuvering, etc. The possibilities are restricted only by our imaginations.

Iron Outlaw
03-07-2015, 21:39
Here's a red herring!

If a captain is KIA during an engagement, it is the job of the 1st Lieutenant to take over. Do we need to name our 1st Lieutenants too? If the Captain is killed, we need a name to replace him, particularly in case the 1st Lieutenant turns the battle to his favour and achieves an outstanding victory!

Just a thought!

Cheers

Mycenius
03-08-2015, 03:18
If a captain is KIA during an engagement, it is the job of the 1st Lieutenant to take over. Do we need to name our 1st Lieutenants too?

I already have reserve officer's 'on standby' should any fall! Both for my glorious French squadron and the despised RN enemy AI squadron! :wink:

Mycenius
03-08-2015, 03:36
John, your thinking about not stacking a scenario with an unrealistic rank simply because said captain has many abilities. Such gameplay defeats one of the purposes of the campaign - to have fun among friends. This isn't a competition, nor is it about ego. The game, itself, should be enjoyable regardless of win or loss.

Yep - that wasn't really my original point though (as I said above I'm sure all captains here are gentlemen, etc) it was just an 'extreme' example to make the point - original intent was more to provide a general framework (or guide if you will) - e.g. If a scenario calls for a 74 (and has no special instructions around ship captains), and you have 5 officers available (1 Commodore, 2 Captains, and 2 Lieutenants), my thought process was simply around which officers are the most appropriate to select from to be commanding that class of vessel (i.e. should it be 'appropriate' to choose a lieutenant if a more suitably ranked officer is available in your roster)? And obviously it's possibly even more useful in relation to managing your AI squadron?

Anyway was just a thought/topic for discussion...

Iron Outlaw
03-08-2015, 05:19
And I have my 8 1st Lieutenants! Just in case!

M God, if this keeps going we might end up with crew lists!!! Aaaaargh!

Mycenius
03-09-2015, 02:46
And I have my 8 1st Lieutenants! Just in case!

M God, if this keeps going we might end up with crew lists!!! Aaaaargh!

Yes but what about harbour masters and such like...?

TexaS
03-09-2015, 03:22
I will have to come up with my names too...

I'll be happy with as few as possible, eight is it? If they die off too quickly I can name the lieutenants by then.

Mycenius
03-09-2015, 03:27
I will have to come up with my names too...

I'll be happy with as few as possible, eight is it? If they die off too quickly I can name the lieutenants by then.

Just tick the languages/nationalities and choose if you want (0 to 3) 'middle' names as well: Behind The Name: Random Name Generator (http://www.behindthename.com/random/)

P.S. Middle names are useful for a few so you can hyphenate with last name to make double-barrelled names too - e.g. Captain James Olmos Ramkin becomes Captain James Olmos-Ramkin! Especially good for British Squadrons!

:wink:

TexaS
03-09-2015, 03:33
But I can't use the randomly generated "Antony Drake Calhoun". :shock: Or could I... :hmmm:

I like to have a theme or some such. We'll see. :sly:

Iron Outlaw
03-09-2015, 04:58
I used Admirals' surnames and kings of England and saints for first names.

TexaS
03-11-2015, 07:55
I sent my list to 7eat51, but I can post it here too:

Lieutenant Ebenezer Denny
Lieutenant William Price
Commander Peter Harrington
Commander James Benwick
Commander John Russel
Captain Edward Foster
Captain Frederick Wentworth
Commander George Croft

:sly:

Iron Outlaw
03-11-2015, 16:47
These are my Ships' Captains and their 1st lieutenants; famous naval surnames, Kings, (English, of course), and Saints for Christian Names.

Captain Lord Henry Barham, ..............1st Lieutenant William Ralegh
Captain Sir John Hood, ......................1st Lieutenant Harold Cook
Post Captain Richard Anson, ...............1st Lieutenant Sir Michael Bligh
Post Captain Sir Edward Howe, ...........1st Lieutenant Thomas Hawke
Commander Charles Rodney, .............1st Lieutenant Lord Matthew Pellew
Commander James Collingwood, .........1st Lieutenant Stephen Drake
Lieutenant Viscount George Drake, ......1st Lieutenant Mark Penn
Lieutenant Alfred Blake, .....................1st Lieutenant Luke Benbow

Cheers

Mycenius
03-12-2015, 02:58
These are my Ships' Captains and their 1st lieutenants; famous naval surnames, Kings, (English, of course), and Saints for Christian Names.

Captain Lord Henry Barham, ..............1st Lieutenant William Ralegh
Captain Sir John Hood, ......................1st Lieutenant Harold Cook
Post Captain Richard Anson, ...............1st Lieutenant Sir Michael Bligh
Post Captain Sir Edward Howe, ...........1st Lieutenant Thomas Hawke
Commander Charles Rodney, .............1st Lieutenant Lord Matthew Pellew
Commander James Collingwood, .........1st Lieutenant Stephen Drake
Lieutenant Viscount George Drake, ......1st Lieutenant Mark Penn
Lieutenant Alfred Blake, .....................1st Lieutenant Luke Benbow

Cheers

Oooohhhhhh.... I like the Sir's and Lords - didn't think of that!!!!!

Mycenius
03-12-2015, 03:01
Okay Okay Okay - so if that's the deal... :wink: :drinks:

My Glorious French Squadron:
Contre-amiral Thierry Frédéric Victore
Capitaine de vaisseau Côme Rainier Fabian
Capitaine de frégate Josepe Aurèle Géroux
Capitaine de frégate Lothaire Rémi Babineaux
Capitaine de frégate Gearóid Teodosio Bissette
Capitaine de corvette Cyrille Léopold Villeneuve
Capitaine de corvette Baptiste Stanislas Gage
Lieutenant de vaisseau Sacha Lucrèce Paget

French Reserve Lieutenants:
Hilaire Sacha Dubois
Toussaint César Parris
Narcisse Sylvain Bonfils
Marius Paquet Biondi
Deforest Alexis Berger
Rolando Enda Sauvageau
Harkaitz Yannick Armel

The Dastardly Royal Navy AI Squadron:
Commodore Valentine Cornelius Harland
Captain Stirling Stephen Barnabas-Winston
Captain Rorie Cairbre MacClelland
Captain Louis Domenic Church
Commander Crofton Merrick Seward-Beckham
Commander Maitland Lindsay Scott
Lieutenant Cadwalader Rhydderch Floyd
Lieutenant John-Amery Rodger Mercer

RN AI Reserve Lieutenants:
Ross Carbrey McAdams
Alexander Stanley Averill-Ingham
Daveth Myghal Botterill
Lorne Sherwood Lund
Brennan Labhrainn Hancock

Mycenius
03-12-2015, 03:06
Also my good sirs - on a campaign related note - I am still open to some consensus and comment on my question of what the perceived outcome should be for the final turn of from my second solo scenario: AAR: Feb 2015 - Our Ships Were French Oak And Hearts of Oak Our Men - Vive la France! (http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?3120-AAR-Feb-2015-Our-Ships-Were-French-Oak-And-Hearts-of-Oak-Our-Men-Vive-la-France!&p=44536#post44536)

P.S. I have sufficient data available to actually play out about 2 more turns on paper if the current proposed outcome in the above thread is considered the least plausible result, etc...?

TexaS
03-12-2015, 03:11
Oooohhhhhh.... I like the Sir's and Lords - didn't think of that!!!!!

Nah... Mine will get their peerage through their actions like the earl of St Vincent or the Viscount Exmouth.

Mycenius
03-12-2015, 03:29
Nah... Mine will get their peerage through their actions like the earl of St Vincent or the Viscount Exmouth.

7eat51
03-12-2015, 11:52
When one of the captains on the roster dies, that captain will be replaced. Like Brad, it might be useful to have a few 1st Lieutenants in reserve.

When I made my initial roster for a WoG campaign, I translated English terms into German. I doubt any non-German-speaking individual would notice. In Pathfinder, I name all my characters with some variation of mangiare (to eat) given that EAT are my initials and calling in life. One of my characters is named Pranzare, which translates to eat lunch, because when in combat, he ate other's lunch.

TexaS
03-12-2015, 15:21
Did you, by the way see my PM on joining the Solo Campaign?

7eat51
03-13-2015, 12:16
Brad and Jonas, your rosters have been added to the Spreadsheet. We're glad you have joined the game. Please ensure I have email addresses so I can invite you to the googlesheet, and please let me know what captain abilities you want to assign to which two captains - everyone starts with two captains having one ability apiece.

I used the rank structure that was in place; if either of you desire changes, please let me know and I will be happy to accommodate. Our intentions regarding rank were to help with eventual promotions and to ensure scenario writers could count on a consistent set of ranks if desired for a given mission. In the end, it is about the players enjoying themselves, so if anyone desires a specific set of ranks, it is no problem.

I will finish populating the AI captain rosters and updating all completed AARs this weekend.

7eat51
03-13-2015, 13:01
AI rosters have been completed.

TexaS
03-13-2015, 16:09
The Google Sheets is available to me.

I will have to think about the abilities.
It gives me a little bit a feeling of cheating, but I'll think it over.

TexaS
03-13-2015, 16:18
Aha... I saw now that the good Commodore Croft had been mistakenly labeled as Commander.

He is correct in the google sheet, at least.:beer:

Mycenius
03-13-2015, 19:36
I used the rank structure that was in place; if either of you desire changes, please let me know and I will be happy to accommodate.

Not that I want to create work for you Eric but I did send a list of custom AI Names (rather than ranks) a 2 or so weeks ago, as I played the Jan & Feb scenarios before you had generated my AI Squadron - any chance of using them - or at least inserting the 2 captains names I've already used in my AARs to replace 2 of the names you've generated...?

AI rosters have been completed.

On a related note - just a general musing - how would an AI captain use the InC ability (or will AI Captains simply not get this)...?

Mycenius
03-13-2015, 19:37
Aha... I saw now that the good Commodore Croft had been mistakenly labeled as Commander.

He is correct in the google sheet, at least.:beer:

Ha! Well what more do you need! :question: :takecover:

It's only the Royal Navy after all... :wink:

Iron Outlaw
03-13-2015, 19:57
"It's ONLY the Royal Navy after all ......." (Huff, puff, bluster!!!) This means war Sir!!!

Mycenius
03-13-2015, 22:05
:wink:

TexaS
03-14-2015, 00:28

TWR
04-22-2015, 19:12
I have a couple of questions...

I have downloaded the two page PDF which to handle AI ship movement. Is that the correct and only file?

I can't seem to download the rosters file. Is it only available to registered players?

Are these files all I need to run some solo games using the 2015 Solo campaign systems or are other files needed?

Bligh
08-07-2015, 09:38
Neil.
Can you add to my adversaries list two Spanish Captains, and two Frigate captains.
Trouble has broken out with the Spanish in the Caribbean.
Thanks. Rob.

Union Jack
08-07-2015, 09:57
NP consider it done:

Luis de Córdova, Capitán de Navío
Antonio Castaneta, Capitán de Navío
Santiago de Liniers, Capitán de Fragata
Federico Gravina, Capitán de Fragata

Neil

Neil.
Can you add to my adversaries list two Spanish Captains, and two Frigate captains.
Trouble has broken out with the Spanish in the Caribbean.
Thanks. Rob.

Bligh
08-07-2015, 12:10
Thanks Neil.
I will enter my results.
Rob.