PDA

View Full Version : HMS Victory & USS Constitution

Danath
11-29-2014, 20:53
Ahoy mates,

I have been trying to figure out how to get my hands on Victory and Constitution, when they are actually available that is. It looks like they are extras that were available from the kickstarter but I'm not sure. Is there some way for me to order them? These are two ships that I would most definitely like to have.

Coog
11-29-2014, 21:55
Both ships will be sold in stores and on-line. They are not Kickstarter exclusives.

Nightmoss
11-29-2014, 23:41
Ahoy mates,

I have been trying to figure out how to get my hands on Victory and Constitution, when they are actually available that is. It looks like they are extras that were available from the kickstarter but I'm not sure. Is there some way for me to order them? These are two ships that I would most definitely like to have.

As Bobby said anyone should be able to pick these up at your FLGS or via your favorite online vendor. I've been keeping an eye on the online vendors to see when they might put these up for pre-ordering. Nothing has shown up yet. Based on the latest Ares report I don't think we'll see that until the very end of the year?

Naharaht
11-30-2014, 14:10
If you allow for the Christmas holidays, I would think that January or February 2015 are more likely.

Nightmoss
12-02-2014, 09:47
Ares is now saying January 2015. There's a new Kickstarter update and many of us will be receiving 'ordering' instructions to facilitate the credit and mailing of these two highly anticipated ships. My confirmation 'order' via the Ares Pledge Manager is now updated. :happy:

David Manley
12-02-2014, 15:41
I confirmed my order just now. Added another Constitution to do President

csadn
12-02-2014, 16:07
The e-mail sends me to the KS EU page, where I don't have a login. I try to order; it tells me I can't order until I login. I try to login with my KS.com data; it tells me my password is incorrect. I have sent half-a-dozen requests in the past two hours to get a new login; I get *one* response.

Tell me -- is there *any* aspect of this Kickstarter which *isn't* going to turn into a total Mongolian Clusterf***?

fredmiracle
12-02-2014, 16:46
Assuming these aren't mockup base cards, we have some more intel also:

First off, they show maneuver decks I and L. This suggests to me that each side of the ship may have it's own maneuver deck (?!?!) - I/J for Victory and K/L for Constitution.

Second, Constitution is Veer 5 (just a touch surprised) and Burden 5 (!)

Gunner
12-02-2014, 17:01
I confirmed my order just now. Added another Constitution to do President

That's exactly what I did, and for the same reason.:drinks:

fredmiracle
12-02-2014, 17:27
What are the odds Ares is going to wish they printed twice as many Constitutions as Victory's? (Or maybe they were smart and did...)

Naharaht
12-02-2014, 23:34
Ares have sent out Kickstarter update #75 about submitting orders for H.M.S. Victory and U.S.S. Constitution.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1402889231/sails-of-glory-miniatures-ship-combat/posts

7eat51
12-05-2014, 09:51
The e-mail sends me to the KS EU page, where I don't have a login. I try to order; it tells me I can't order until I login. I try to login with my KS.com data; it tells me my password is incorrect. I have sent half-a-dozen requests in the past two hours to get a new login; I get *one* response.

Tell me -- is there *any* aspect of this Kickstarter which *isn't* going to turn into a total Mongolian Clusterf***?

I asked to reset my password, did so, and had no problems getting in. This password is different, I believe, from the regular KS password as it is Ares specific, at least that is how I interpreted it. Once in, I had to submit my personal info.

Ordered 2 Constitutions and 1 Victory.

Here's hoping there isn't any mast problems.

Warspite
12-06-2014, 09:49
I have heard rumours that HMS victory comes with captain/admiral cards or something similar like a nelson card, is this true?

Gunner
12-06-2014, 10:07
Per Ares on Kickstarter # 71,
"These packs will be special, as promised - each pack will include two different versions of the ship log, with different armaments. On top of that, each ship is complemented by a specific deck of Captain cards and Crew Cards, featuring some of the most famous personalities who commanded them."
Including Nelson.:beer:

Warspite
12-06-2014, 10:39
Per Ares on Kickstarter # 71,
"These packs will be special, as promised - each pack will include two different versions of the ship log, with different armaments. On top of that, each ship is complemented by a specific deck of Captain cards and Crew Cards, featuring some of the most famous personalities who commanded them."
Including Nelson.:beer:

Cool can't wait :)

fredmiracle
12-06-2014, 11:42
There is also that verbiage about "Special deck of maneuver cards". Not sure what that means, but it is different than the other product pages, which just say "Maneuver cards".

At a minimum they do have their own custom sailing decks--for Constitution this is expected, but for Victory I was a bit surprised it didn't use the regular First-Rate deck. But the odd thing, as I noted before, is that in the photos they seem to be labeled with decks I and L, which hints at the existence of decks J and K in-between, which would mean each side has its own distinct sailing deck.

Of course there's only so much they could do differently, but I'll be curious to see how that shakes out...

Gunner
01-22-2015, 10:28
Getting close.:beer:
When I asked about Wave 1 reprints and the V&C, this was the reply from Ares this morning,

Hi Ed
no, they have not shipped yet. We should receive the container in the warehouse in a few more days.

About SOG Wave 1 send a mail to customercare@aresgames.eu
Best regards

Ares Staff

Nightmoss
01-22-2015, 12:21
Getting close.:beer:
When I asked about Wave 1 reprints and the V&C, this was the reply from Ares this morning,

Hi Ed
no, they have not shipped yet. We should receive the container in the warehouse in a few more days.

About SOG Wave 1 send a mail to customercare@aresgames.eu
Best regards

Ares Staff

Thanks Ed. That's exciting news, but they're even farther behind than I imagined. Back in November Ares responded to you with an indication that the Wave 1 reprints would be in stores by the end of December and the the V & C would ship by the end of December. I'm not complaining or whining, just observing that perhaps the dock workers slow down on the west coast significantly impacted their hoped for delivery times?

Bligh
01-23-2015, 05:38
Well as Mrs Bligh is buying mine for my Birthday in March, there is a strong chance that I may get them on time then.:happy:
Bligh.:rum:

Naharaht
01-23-2015, 11:31
Ares Games' latest Upcoming Products list states that the reprints of series 1, H.M.S. Victory and U.S.S. Constitution will be available in February.
http://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products

So, you may receive them for your birthday, Bligh.

Bligh
01-23-2015, 12:33
Thanks for the update Dave.
With my birthday late in March, there is a good chance then.
Rob.

7eat51
01-23-2015, 12:50
It's a shame V&C aren't being released in April. It would have made for a nice 2-year anniversary present for the completion of the KS. :takecover:

Nightmoss
01-23-2015, 13:03
It's a shame V&C aren't being released in April. It would have made for a nice 2-year anniversary present for the completion of the KS. :takecover:

They're not at the warehouse yet (as far as we know), which means anything is possible. :sly:

More to your point though; never add on exclusives or perks to a Kickstarter project that aren't in hand. It's just courting frustration. I do hope Ares and other KS entrepreneur's will profit by this learning experience in future?

7eat51
01-23-2015, 13:06
Speaking of KS, have you seen the craziness regarding Exploding Kittens (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elanlee/exploding-kittens)? Within a couple of days, they raised over $3 million, and all for a basic card game. Unbelievable.

Nightmoss
01-23-2015, 13:14
Speaking of KS, have you seen the craziness regarding Exploding Kittens (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elanlee/exploding-kittens)? Within a couple of days, they raised over $3 million, and all for a basic card game. Unbelievable.

Insanity! I blame the 'cat people' for this. :takecover:

7eat51
01-23-2015, 13:31
Yes. My Buddy, George (CelticCat), is one of them.

fredmiracle
01-23-2015, 13:57

The world is a very strange place. Gotta think that at that scale the COGS will be < $10 per. Those guys are probably closing in on $1mil profit each.

7eat51
01-23-2015, 14:06
The world is a very strange place. Gotta think that at that scale the COGS will be < $10 per. Those guys are probably closing in on $1mil profit each.

I thought about that. What one marketable idea can do. Remember Beanie Babies, Pet Rocks, Disco. All things that should not have happened, but did and did in a big way.

Gunner
01-23-2015, 14:32
They're not at the warehouse yet (as far as we know), which means anything is possible. :sly:

More to your point though; never add on exclusives or perks to a Kickstarter project that aren't in hand. It's just courting frustration. I do hope Ares and other KS entrepreneur's will profit by this learning experience in future?

And I get mad at myself if I'm not at least five minutes early for an appointment. It's a changing world:sad:

CelticCat
01-23-2015, 15:08
Vive les félins! Boom!

Gunner
01-23-2015, 15:43
Vive les félins! Boom!

Welcome:beer: to the Anchorage, George.

Nightmoss
01-23-2015, 18:28
And I get mad at myself if I'm not at least five minutes early for an appointment. It's a changing world:sad:

I'm with you on this. Early or on time, never late. :drinks:

Vive les félins! Boom!

Oh boy, now we're doomed. :wink: Welcome George. :beer:

Bligh
01-24-2015, 02:47
Insanity! I blame the 'cat people' for this. :takecover:

:shock: My cat and I are in no way to blame. It has never exploded and here it is to prove it.

Bligh.:hmmm:

David Manley
01-24-2015, 05:06

I was very tempted by it, but the price with postage was a killer

Gunner
01-24-2015, 06:24
:shock: My cat and I are in no way to blame. It has never exploded and here it is to prove it.

Bligh.:hmmm:

Are you sure it never exploded? I heard your cat was in one piece at one time, now it's in nine pieces.:beer:

Bligh
01-24-2015, 06:41
Are you sure it never exploded? I heard your cat was in one piece at one time, now it's in nine pieces.:beer:

Nah Ed.
That's just a tail.
Fetch me the cat Mister Christian.
Bligh.

Nightmoss
01-26-2015, 18:13
After taking some time this afternoon to put maneuver numbers on Richards solo rule charts a question came to mind concerning what maneuver deck(s) the Victory and Constitution will have? Can anyone confirm the 'new' decks and whether or not they'll match the current numbering system?

See Fred's #8 post above regarding an I and L deck. You can see an "I" deck indication for both the Victory and Constitution in some Kickstarter closeup photos, but we still don't know the actual maneuvers or the numbering system.

OK. Looking more closely I can see that Constitution has the "L" deck while Victory has the "I" deck.

And from SoG Facebook the Spanish ship Sirena is an "A" deck while the Argonauta is a "B" deck.

fredmiracle
01-26-2015, 23:22
Can anyone confirm the 'new' decks and whether or not they'll match the current numbering system?

I think it's a very safe assumption. The Victory teaser suggested it's similar to the other British 1st rates, but just a bit better. Ironsides will probably be similar to Sybille.

Nightmoss
01-27-2015, 08:48
I think it's a very safe assumption. The Victory teaser suggested it's similar to the other British 1st rates, but just a bit better. Ironsides will probably be similar to Sybille.

Thanks Fred. I was interested in how it might impact our solo rules grids/charts; both yours and the one from Richard. If the Victory falls in with the 100 gun chart and Constitution with the frigates we should be fine. Same goes for the original solo rules without adding any new maneuver 'numbers'.

Herkybird
01-27-2015, 11:15
Thanks Fred. I was interested in how it might impact our solo rules grids/charts; both yours and the one from Richard. If the Victory falls in with the 100 gun chart and Constitution with the frigates we should be fine. Same goes for the original solo rules without adding any new maneuver 'numbers'.

I will be sure to do a special chart for Powder Monkey if either of these ships has a new mix of manoeuvre cards. I doubt they will be much different myself!

Famous last words.... :fixit:

Diamondback
01-27-2015, 19:17
Hopefully NOT, the Humphreys 44's were frequently as much "only 44's on paper" one way as Chesapeake was the other; I'd venture to say they should throw a similar punch to a 50-gun two-decker, so should probably be somewhere between Sybille and the Wave 3 Portlands, closer to the latter.

Gunner
01-27-2015, 19:58
Hopefully NOT, the Humphreys 44's were frequently as much "only 44's on paper" one way as Chesapeake was the other; I'd venture to say they should throw a similar punch to a 50-gun two-decker, so should probably be somewhere between Sybille and the Wave 3 Portlands, closer to the latter.

Wave 3? Like 1774 HMS Isis?:beer:

fredmiracle
01-27-2015, 19:59

Well yes of course "similar to" should not be construed as "exactly alike."

We can guess Constitution is between Sybille and the 3rd rates. As you suggest, we also know that within that narrow band Ares needs to fit smaller 50-64 gun 2-deckers as well. Also Constitution has, from my understanding, the reputation of being a good sailer. Also it's unique ship and one of the "specials." So my hunch was Constitution would be on the Sybille side of the midpoint between Sybille and Berwick.

We already know Constitution has less veer than Sybille (5 vs. 6). Presumably its arrows will be a bit shorter. The big question is whether it will lose the 1/9 turn cards. I guess it could go either way. My hunch has been that it will still have them (with the reduced veer making them a touch less potent); if it loses them it would be a bit of a blow...

7eat51
01-28-2015, 05:39
I'm curious, as well, what differences there will be with the captain cards.