PDA

View Full Version : Where do I go from here?

Danath
11-25-2014, 09:16
Greeetings all,

I have recently acquired the starter set as well as HMS Impetueux and Orient (whose broken foremast I was able to repair thanks to discussions on this site), and I am wondering where to go from here. If you have recommendations on which ships and/or what order makes more sense than another, I am certainly open to them. Also, is it worth investing the in shoals and coastal batteries packs?

Kentop
11-25-2014, 09:36
A good way to start is to pick up two of each class that you don't have so you can see how each class behaves during the game. It will allow you to run many different scenarios, too. You will find out quickly what types of scenarios you like best and what ttype of ships you like best.

Nightmoss
11-25-2014, 12:35
I would add that you should look into the solo rules and discussions we've got going on here. Solo play can actually be rather challenging and fun.

While the big ships look very impressive on the game table, the frigates like HMS Sybille are a lot of fun to play with. Cheers!

csadn
11-25-2014, 23:49
Greeetings all,

I have recently acquired the starter set as well as HMS Impetueux and Orient (whose broken foremast I was able to repair thanks to discussions on this site), and I am wondering where to go from here.

Deeply, *DEEPLY* into debt.... ;)

Comte de Brueys
11-26-2014, 04:22
The costal waters of Abukir bay aren't that deep.

Danath
11-26-2014, 05:06
Hopefully not too deeply into debt. As I said, I also play X-wing and wave 5 is finally out, and wave 6 is coming soon.

:shock: Oh, dear. Maybe I can find a way for the Navy to pay for this habit and call it professional development?

Naharaht
11-26-2014, 14:20
Perhaps you could call it 'Historical Research', Scott?

7eat51
11-27-2014, 10:53
Scott, I like the batteries packs. The batteries make for interesting and varied scenarios. They can substitute for coastlines by simply ignoring the batteries during play. The shoals and additional coastlines are nice as well - great obstacles, etc. If this is a game you plan on playing, and if you desire something other than open sea battles, the land packs are worth the investment.

Mabinogian
11-05-2015, 09:12
Good to hear *phew* as I just ordered the coastal batteries and coastlines. I was worried I may have wasted money better spent on buying more ships. I also purchased a set of Additional Ship Mats, again I figured this was a good idea (while they`re still available). Now all I have to do is wait for all my lovely goodies... including the starter set, to arrive in the post.

Union Jack
11-05-2015, 09:31
Keep an eye out for the 2016 solo campaign. Mean while play some of the 2014/2015 games to get yourself up to speed. Well a higher sail setting anyway.

Mabinogian
11-05-2015, 09:43
Thank you so much for the advice Union Jack. I`m still waiting for my starter (and my growing `can`t live without` additional purchases) to arrive in the post.

Am I prematurely addicted for a game, I`ve not even played yet? No, I have been looking for a game like this for some time and am absolutely thrilled and delighted I discovered Sails of Glory now and didn't miss out on it entirely... though discovering it sooner would have been nice.

Meanwhile I`ve lapping up as much information as I can on this whole subject and genre. Suffice to say my Christmas `wish list` is now all things nautical ^^

Bligh
11-05-2015, 13:37
Good man Stephen.
Although a founder member of this site, I have neglected it for three years, and consequently am also in the get the Naval Christmas list organized. As far as being addicted goes, just remember if it was not this it would be something else draining your cash. I just look on it as the money I used to spend on smoking, then I feel much better about it.
Rob.

Mabinogian
11-05-2015, 14:37
Hi Rob.... Bligh.... "ah-haaaar mi harties"

A founder member huh?

hmmmm. Rob, in all my gaming history, and all my time spent in online blogs and sites; I don`t think I have ever seen a better than this one - Anchorage. Do we ever truly neglect our passion? Yes we move on to divergent themes, as our interests expand and grow and we find new things to captivate us (that's the skill isnt it, adding to our knowledge without getting so snowed under and lost by new shiny things, that we totally loose our way... kickstarters are a prime example of that. I know guys who back everything that`s going, until they reach a stage where they can`t possibly enjoy what they have, and become merely seduced by all the new goodies and stretch goals of their massive haul of `totally un-played` things).

But owning a wonderful site like this, can it be neglected? Naaaaaa, its like a faithful hound, always there for you when you return, refreshed and charged with new energy.

Excellent site, sir.