PDA

View Full Version : Adriatic campaign of 1807–1814

Attila57
01-07-2012, 13:50
A Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adriatic_campaign_of_1807%E2%80%931814

Mark Barker
01-07-2012, 15:02
A good Wiki on the Battle of Lissa, an absolute classic action and one that will be great to fight when the system moves onto frigates.

Top level entry is incorrect that Hoste rebuffed the initial boarding attempt with a carronade, in fact he had somehow managed to mount a very unofficial 5.5 inch howitzer (as noted in the detail entry) and let fly with that.

Our group fought Lissa this summer at the Explosion museum in Gosport, UK (an event arranged by one Mr David Manley, well known to this Forum !).

In something of an experiment I've tried to attach a video tracking the positions of the various ships from our miniatures assist program Clear for Action during our first run-through. The Franco-Venetian Squadron appears from the top of the screen. We use this system on a projector, with 1/1200 Miniatures on the table-top.

Let's see if this works ....

http://www.inshore-squadron.co.uk/Lissa1.AVI

Best wishes,

Mark Barker
The Inshore Squadron

Attila57
01-08-2012, 02:09
A really nice video and a great experiment! Well done, sir!

I searched Clear of Action on Internet and I found it's a really old game (the interface suggests this). What operating system do you use to play this software?

Attilio

Mark Barker
01-08-2012, 13:39
A really nice video and a great experiment! Well done, sir!

I searched Clear of Action on Internet and I found it's a really old game (the interface suggests this). What operating system do you use to play this software?

Attilio

Attilio,

Thanks ! - it is a DOS-based game so it will run directly with all versions of Windows up to Windows XP.

For later versions of Windows you need a DOS Emulator such as DOSBOX - an excellent little programme and CFA runs from it with no problem.

CFA has not been sold commercially for several years, but is available (with the designer's full permission) as a free-of-charge download.

If anyone is interested they can drop me a message directly to my e-mail address markvbarker@aol.com and I will send the files (which include the scenario disks and documentation).

Best regards,

Mark Barker
The Inshore Squadron

csadn
01-08-2012, 17:14
http://www.inshore-squadron.co.uk/Lissa1.AVI

Especially enjoyable is watching the not one, but *two* collisions between Franco-Venetian units.... <tactical facepalm>

Attila57
01-08-2012, 22:24
Nice.

I read even Atari in an article!

I've my old XT in my loft. It could be a good circumstance to switch on! ;)

I 'll give consideratio to aks you kindly to send me this software in future.

Attilio

Attila57
01-09-2012, 00:44
Especially enjoyable is watching the not one, but *two* collisions between Franco-Venetian units.... <tactical facepalm>

Until in UK they drive on the left side and we, in France and Italy, drive on the right side, some collisions are unavoidable also in a software emulator! ;)

Mark Barker
01-09-2012, 16:23
Until in UK they drive on the left side and we, in France and Italy, drive on the right side, some collisions are unavoidable also in a software emulator! ;)

When I visited Naples I was not quite sure which side of the road they were using in preference !

Even my host (from Rome !) seemed shocked :-). When I took a taxi back to the airport it was short of time and took a shortcut through the Naval Base !

I've run CFA on a 486 (Windows 3.1), Laptop (Win 98), Pentium (Win XP) and now my i5 (Windows 7).

No reason it would not work on an Amiga emulator - first time I have heard of that !

Really impressed with DOSBOX, easy to set up and use and has given loads of my old games new life - even AH's computer Wooden Ships and Iron Men runs just fine.

Happy to supply CFA when you want to give it a try.

Best wishes,

Mark Barker
The Inshore Squadron

Attila57
01-10-2012, 00:40
When I visited Naples I was not quite sure which side of the road they were using in preference !

Even my host (from Rome !) seemed shocked :-). When I took a taxi back to the airport it was short of time and took a shortcut through the Naval Base !

:o

Naples have usually peculiar rules about traffic. More than other italian cities (but we have a mad traffic also in Rome).

I was shocked too....like at Cairo, where I saw a little farm wagon with a big load of fish win the priority in a crossroads at to two tracks, some coaches and a lot of cars. Really a car-to-car fight!

I'm interested in that vintage software I'll send you a PM when I'll be ready to play with it. Thanks, mate!

Attilio

Mark Barker
01-14-2012, 09:47

Also worth noting the shoals - land is the solid line bottom left, then progressively deeper water 5 metres, 10 metres etc.

With the exception of the land contour, the shoals are visible to the British player in this set up due to their extensive and recent local knowledge but invisible to the Franco-Venetian player when they come to enter their orders.

Mark Barker
The Inshore Squadron