PDA

View Full Version : About to dive into SOG and I would like some advice first.

Sternchaser
11-01-2014, 00:24
Hi guys.

I am about to sink some cash into this game with the purchase of a starter set!

Q. What is the best way to expand upon the initial purchase?

I have assembled painted and comprehensibly rigged a dozen odd GHQ ships years ago and played many games using various Napoleonic naval rules so I'm not a newby to the period.

Q. Is there much difference between ships of the same rating in this game. ie Has each named ship got something unique in its game play besides its name?

Q. Is there a difference in the way ships of different nationalities behave in the game.

Thanks
Trevor

Naharaht
11-01-2014, 07:28
I would say:

1) Buy some more ships but then if you wish to use more than four at once you will need more ship control mats and counters. As ship numbers increase you will need another pack of damage counters. For more variety in scenarios you may eventually want to buy the forts and/or shoals pack.

2) Ships of the same rating and nationality use the same movement card deck but they have different armaments and crew numbers. Even ships using the same model can have different armament and crew statistics.

3) Ships behave the way their controllers make them behave.

Nightmoss
11-01-2014, 09:06
I think David has answered your questions pretty well. I would only add that if you lack for local folks to play the game you would benefit from checking out the solo rules development/discussion on this site. I've had some interesting and fun engagements just fighting against the AI. Cheers!