PDA

View Full Version : Ahoy from St. Louis

Tiberius
10-29-2014, 15:57
Hello All,

I was at the Miniatures Market warehouse in St. Louis about a week ago and I was able to get a copy of the base game and 4 extra ships for less than 65 dollars. So I figured I'd take the plunge and try it out! I had never heard of it before about a week ago, but now I love it!

I used to play a lot of Warhammer Fantasy, but I got tired of Games Workshop. Just not a good company for so many reasons. I was looking for another miniatures game that captured my interest, and this game just seemed to have what I was looking for.

Looks like you all have a pretty cool community here, I have really enjoyed perusing through the forum. I look forward to being a part of it!

Eric

PS, after playing two games I realized I don't really have any developed strategy. I haven't found any posts discussing general strategies, can anyone point me in the right direction?

7eat51
10-30-2014, 08:32
Welcome aboard, Eric. :salute:

We have a developing forum on solo play, in case you're interested: http://sailsofglory.org/forumdisplay.php?38-2014-Solo-Campaigns

Given the small-scale and tactical nature of the game, I imagine many questions would be best answered given specific setups. In general, there are typically advantageous maneuvers like raking shots. One thing I would recommend it becoming familiar with how the rules handle taken aback; I have seen players use the wind in this way to set up quite deadly firing positions; on the opposite side I have seen people not pay attention to taken aback and have found themselves dead in the water, effectively taken out of a battle for multiple rounds.

Nightmoss
10-30-2014, 09:23
Greetings Eric. Welcome to the Anchorage! :salute:

Naharaht
10-30-2014, 13:00
Welcome to the Anchorage, Eric.

Coog
10-30-2014, 13:04
Welcome aboard Eric!

Gunner
10-30-2014, 13:22
Welcome:beer: from Arizona, Eric.

Wow, The base game and four ships for $65. Was that an in store special?

Gunner
10-30-2014, 13:30
PS, after playing two games I realized I don't really have any developed strategy. I haven't found any posts discussing general strategies, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Best strategies for me is to study yours and your opponents cards and watch the wind.

Most importantly, be a good guesser.:drinks:

Berthier
10-31-2014, 03:33
Welcome Eric to the Anchorage :salute:

Tiberius
10-31-2014, 15:47
Welcome:beer: from Arizona, Eric.

Wow, The base game and four ships for $65. Was that an in store special?

It was in the "dinged and dented in shipping" specials. The only problem I could find with the base game was the French Frigate's front sail. The 4 extra ships all had the front sail also detached and I was able to talk them done to about 5 dollars a ship. I don't know how most people repair that, but I just took a very small drill bit and drilled a small divot into the ships deck right where it was attached and super glued it in. Now I think the front sail is the strongest sail on them. I'm really liking the paint jobs I have seen on the ship, especially the sails. How do most people do that? I was thinking a simple brown wash would bring out a lot.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

Gunner
10-31-2014, 16:00
Sometimes just fitting the broken mast to the base with super glue, wait a minute and then add a little bit more glue to the base with a tooth pick works well.

Most people I know (myself included) seem to like Citadel's shade Seraphim Sepia for the sails.:beer:

Diamondback
10-31-2014, 18:49
Welcome aboard from Seattle!