PDA

View Full Version : Northumberland and the north east

Union Jack
10-14-2014, 08:13
Any players in Northumberland or the north-east?

Union Jack
10-17-2014, 15:50
Ah, well solo it is then. Anchors aweigh.

7eat51
10-17-2014, 21:27
Neil, we need to get back to the solo rules and campaign set up. Hopefully, we'll provide some opportunity for community play here akin to OTT and the other campaigns on the 'Drome. It is good having you here, my Friend.

Union Jack
10-18-2014, 00:05
Planning my first solo foray as we speak.

Oceanswell
11-15-2014, 13:44
Hello Neil. There be a fleet o' 24 ships anchored south of Dunbar.

Union Jack
11-15-2014, 16:57
Hello Alan. Nice to have you on board. What ships do you have and are they Ares or other manufacturers?

Neil

Naharaht
11-16-2014, 09:42
Welcome to the Anchorage, Alan.

Nightmoss
11-16-2014, 10:29
Greetings Alan. Welcome to the Anchorage.

Union Jack
11-16-2014, 10:58
OK, don't know what happened to my other message so here goes again and apologies if its somewhere else:

Dec 4th
War & Piece (shop)
Ashington

SoG Demo game.

Oceanswell
11-16-2014, 12:46
Thank you, happy to be aboard.
I have played about 12 games of SoG since buying the game at Claymore in August; from single ship encounters to 5 ship squadron actions with shore batteries, harbours et al. What a fun game this is :happy:
The boat collection is almost all Ares. Apart from the ships in the starter box, all of the SOL are duplicated ( except for Royal Sovereign/Britannia ) along with 3 other sloops/frigates.
Inspired by the creativity of others, especially Nightmoss, I now also have a Langton Pickle and Santisma Trinidad ( being rigged ). The Flying Dutchman is on the workbench...

Gunner
11-16-2014, 13:05
Welcome:beer: from Arizona, Alan. Looks like you're off and running with SGN.

Nightmoss
11-16-2014, 13:35
Thank you, happy to be aboard.
I have played about 12 games of SoG since buying the game at Claymore in August; from single ship encounters to 5 ship squadron actions with shore batteries, harbours et al. What a fun game this is :happy:
The boat collection is almost all Ares. Apart from the ships in the starter box, all of the SOL are duplicated ( except for Royal Sovereign/Britannia ) along with 3 other sloops/frigates.
Inspired by the creativity of others, especially Nightmoss, I now also have a Langton Pickle and Santisma Trinidad ( being rigged ). The Flying Dutchman is on the workbench...

I'd love to see some photos if you're so inclined? It's always enjoyable seeing the work of others, especially when they take SoG to another level of entertainment. :thumbsup:

Capn Duff
11-17-2014, 07:10
Have the solo rules been finalised yet?

This past weekend I put on a SGN participation at Warfare in Reading, went quite well with a number of requests about starter sets, unfortunately there was only one set on sale the whole weekend

7eat51
11-17-2014, 09:05
I recently saw some Starter Sets at decent discounts on a few online sites. I am not sure about shipping costs to the U.K., but online retailers might be a possible avenue.

Union Jack
11-17-2014, 09:06
Well just played my first solo. Must say the solo rules work ok but I must try more games to get a better feel for them.

Union Jack
11-25-2014, 12:50
November 26th
War & Piece (shop)
Ashington

http://gcsya.shltt.servertrust.com/Default.asp

SoG Demo game.

Oceanswell
11-27-2014, 15:42
Here be the Pickle: constructed, painted and rigged using the paintbrush-method. All done in about 2 hours.
More mistakes than a cap'n can shake a ships cat at - but what a good learning experience that was.
On the right is the Hibernia with a very simple mast and yard arm paint.

This is the opening moment of an 'Invasion' scenario.

... and from a lower angle.

Here is the S. Trinidad in production.

Sometimes ships become 'trapped' by wind and shore, or are in harbour against the wind. This is, of course, to be expected.
However, in a scenario situation it became clear to the assembled captains that a rule should be brought in to allow escape.

Kentop
11-27-2014, 16:15
WOW! thanks for posting pics and custom cards! Green sails equal florescent lighting. There's a camera lens filter or photoshop plug in for that. I understand bow line, but I do no understand stern line, except for anchorage.

Nightmoss
11-27-2014, 20:41
Thanks for the photos, custom cards and the peek at the Santisima Trinidad. Looking most excellent!! :salute:

7eat51
11-27-2014, 22:17
Interesting cards - very cool.

It would be nice to have a small platform with such boats for shore parties, etc.

Oceanswell
11-28-2014, 11:32
The rules for the "Rowboats" card were:
Play as any other movement card;
The bow notch of the boat must be within the Bow Line triangle ( a bit of forward movement ).
The stern notch of the boat must Not cross the red Stern Line.

Therefore the boat is able to move directly ahead ( a little bit ); and is able to rotate up to 90 degrees;
Two of the Rowboats cards and one Recall the Boats is a "Set". I printed a couple of sets and thats been enough so far.

The Santisima Trinidad has been Sailed (sic), and the rigging is underway. My goodness is that fiddly! I am now in awe of all who rig their ships.
More photos when the sun returns.

Shore Parties is a great idea. I noticed that model rowboats are available, and some bases of them using, possibly, half size movement cards sounds fun.
Whaling!
Ok .. I will put the Rum down.

David Manley
11-28-2014, 11:57
Not sure if my house rules for shore parties is in the files section these days. If not and you were curious to see them drop me a PM

Union Jack
11-28-2014, 22:20
December 3rd (not 4th as previously mentioned)
War & Piece (shop)
Ashington

Pics from the SoG Demo game on November 26th.

Tony Martin quite kindly brought along the sails of glory game for us to use and off we went.
Our first game was the beginning game from the book 2 on 2. Quickly found that handling two ships was too much so our next game was 1 on 1. Two mighty juggernauts 100 gun Royal George v 118 gun Commerce de Marseilles.

The 2 ships approach.

'Ah you fool you' Tony exclaimed as I tacked into the wind and went all aback....(cunning plan thought I)

Well and soundly raked by that damned Frenchman! Teach me to go all aback. (plan still working well though).

Here's where the plan didn't work as the camera failed!

However as I sailed past Tony's rear end I let rip with a double shotted broadside at close range.....9 A's and 9 B's. Well if half of them weren't 0's!

I was on fire, had a leak (no puns please) and had mast damage.

Tony had 1 rudder, a leak, a fire, and 2 mast damage.

I caught up with him again and although he had mended most damage took another fire, a leak and 2 more mast damage. Crippled and with the last crew box gone he struck.

Things I learned from this, don't get too close, but being aback isn't always a bad thing! and he who gets in first doesn't always have the last laugh.

Herkybird
12-02-2014, 14:36
Well just played my first solo. Must say the solo rules work ok but I must try more games to get a better feel for them.

I am doing my own solo rules for this intriguing game. They are based loosely on the solo rules I made for Wings of Glory, template and all!
If you or anyone wants to try them before I playtest at the club next Saturday, please just E-Mail me at richardbradley5@gmail.com, and I will send the PDF of the charts I have done.
I have done charts for 1st and 2nd raters (100 gun+) and 74s so far. :question:

Union Jack
12-04-2014, 10:37
December 10th
War & Piece (shop)
Ashington

SoG Demo game.

Union Jack
12-04-2014, 10:39
Will you be posting them in the file section?

I am doing my own solo rules for this intriguing game. They are based loosely on the solo rules I made for Wings of Glory, template and all!
If you or anyone wants to try them before I playtest at the club next Saturday, please just E-Mail me at richardbradley5@gmail.com, and I will send the PDF of the charts I have done.
I have done charts for 1st and 2nd raters (100 gun+) and 74s so far. :question:

Union Jack
12-04-2014, 10:41
Played another game v Tony on 3rd December. Frigate v Frigate. More like a long waltz with occasional contact. The French (Tony) managed to sail off the board with more damage than the British frigate so a tactical victory.

I hope to camera fixed for next weeks game so I can post more pics.

Herkybird
12-04-2014, 11:28
Will you be posting them in the file section?

If they play ok, I will do so...if I can find out how!

I will put them on our club's download page as well.

I have now completed all the charts I will need. After looking at the decks of the ships I have, I realised (hopefully correctly) that there are 4 basic types of deck:
1st-2nd rates, 3rd-5th rate, Frigates and Unrated. The differences within these 4 main types are that as they get more manoeuverable, an extra turn card is included.
The differences in individual decks within these 4 groups are in the length of move.

As I mentioned above, if you want a sneak-peek at them as they are pre-playtest, just E-Mail me at richardbradley5@gmail.com! :takecover:

Union Jack
12-04-2014, 12:44
Done that if I can get them in time I'll give them a shot on Monday.

If they play ok, I will do so...if I can find out how!

I will put them on our club's download page as well.

I have now completed all the charts I will need. After looking at the decks of the ships I have, I realised (hopefully correctly) that there are 4 basic types of deck:
1st-2nd rates, 3rd-5th rate, Frigates and Unrated. The differences within these 4 main types are that as they get more manoeuverable, an extra turn card is included.
The differences in individual decks within these 4 groups are in the length of move.

As I mentioned above, if you want a sneak-peek at them as they are pre-playtest, just E-Mail me at richardbradley5@gmail.com! :takecover:

Herkybird
12-04-2014, 12:55
I have sent them on, I hope they are clear enough to play without a 'How to' guide on my blog.
I hope they work in a game, I have only done situational testing so far!!!- I think they are more compicated than my Wings rules, mainly as you have to get them side on to the enemy rather than 'on their tail', but also due to the need of a solo system that avoids running into the wind in order to get at the enemy!
This, I think, is what I have managed. Play testing will tell. I have looked at the solo rules already up on this site, I will be interested to see which set people prefer?

Kentop
12-04-2014, 15:37
Hey, it just dawned on me...Northumberland Fusiliers, Concord, Bunker Hill, and the massacre at Little Egg Harbor. Well done...and belated welcome.

Herkybird
12-04-2014, 16:08
Hey, it just dawned on me...Northumberland Fusiliers, Concord, Bunker Hill, and the massacre at Little Egg Harbor. Well done...and belated welcome.

Ah, if we are talking AWI/Revolutionary war, the NE also provided the 19th Light Dragoons, who fought in the New York campaign and in the Southern campaign, under a certain chap you may have heard of...Tarleton :Arrrr:

Kentop
12-04-2014, 16:48
I stand corrected.

Herkybird
12-05-2014, 03:37
I stand corrected.

Not corrected! :question: - I only added some info you might not know regarding the small ammount of Light Horse the British deployed in America. I only found this out 2 weeks ago in a display at the Discovery museum in Newcastle upon tyne!

Nuf sed! - I have to go rig some little ships! :salute:

Union Jack
12-07-2014, 15:52
Northumberland Fusiliers no longer.
Amalgamated with the good old 7th and 20th of foot (Royal Fusiliers and Lancashire Fusiliers) with the late addition of the 6th of Foot( Warwick's which became the Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers) on St Georges Day 1968.

So you could add Washington, 1812 to that list too.

Union Jack
12-07-2014, 16:01
Massacre at Little Egg harbour, out of 50 men (of a larger force comprising mainly deserters and foreign 'mercenaries', including cavalry and artillery) at an advanced outpost only 5 were taken alive.

Captain Patrick Ferguson: Scots Dragoons, 70th of foot, 71st of Foot. Nothing to do with the 5th of Foot. (Later to become the Northumberland Fusiliers.)

Union Jack
12-07-2014, 16:03
Apologies to all: The following demo has been cancelled.

December 10th
War & Piece (shop)
Ashington

SoG Demo game.

Union Jack
12-08-2014, 09:11
They worked very well. Will have to try more games. I used the frigate sheet for a 1 on 1 frigate game. AAR to be posted soon.

Neil

I have sent them on, I hope they are clear enough to play without a 'How to' guide on my blog.
I hope they work in a game, I have only done situational testing so far!!!- I think they are more compicated than my Wings rules, mainly as you have to get them side on to the enemy rather than 'on their tail', but also due to the need of a solo system that avoids running into the wind in order to get at the enemy!
This, I think, is what I have managed. Play testing will tell. I have looked at the solo rules already up on this site, I will be interested to see which set people prefer?

Herkybird
12-08-2014, 15:36
They worked very well. Will have to try more games. I used the frigate sheet for a 1 on 1 frigate game. AAR to be posted soon.

Neil

Thanks Neil! - I have put a composite file of the new solo rules in for moderation, and I hope they will be available in the Files section soon.
If anyone wants to try them, I have a 'How To' guide on my blog, with a link to the individual files at: http://herkybird-richardbradley.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/how-to-use-mysails-of-glory-solo-rules.html

Postscript! - Our kind Grand Admiral has now put the composite file of my 'Powder Monkey' rules in the files section. I hope people enjoy using them!

Union Jack
12-20-2014, 16:43
Possibilities of another SoG game:

January 7th
War & Piece (shop)
Ashington

Bligh
12-21-2014, 06:27
Can see I've got some catching up to do here.
First welcome Alan, and second I hope to actually get my third game underway during the Holiday period.
Rob.

Union Jack
12-24-2014, 12:16
Looking ahead, way ahead, and if we get two tables again.

SoG demo game idea to be developed for Border Reiver 2015. Watch this space.

Bligh
12-24-2014, 12:59
Wilco Neil.
Have a great Yuletide.
Rob.

Union Jack
12-25-2014, 05:36
Well it's time to blitz the sister in laws, who is quite kindly doing Christmas dinner for the family (17).

Hope everyone has a great day and all the best for 2015.

Herkybird
12-25-2014, 13:48
Yes, A Very Happy Christmas to all! :drinks:

Union Jack
01-03-2015, 17:39
Just a gentle reminder after New Year and that other day are now out of the way. Possibilities of another SoG game:

January 7th
War & Piece (shop)
Ashington

Union Jack
01-10-2015, 11:23
Great game 2 on 2 on 7th (managed to get 2 games in too): Next encounter

January 14th
War & Piece (shop)
Ashington

Union Jack
01-15-2015, 16:35
Managed to take some pics this time round. It wasn't pretty. I'll try and get them up by the weekend.

Union Jack
01-27-2015, 02:42
Apologies for delay in pictures, will post soon.

That's it for SoG for the moment at the shop. When we organise another round of games I'll post the details here.

Union Jack
07-14-2015, 07:30
Border Driver show, Saturday September 5th, Gateshead International Arena. We are including the opportunity to have a go at learning to play SoG.

Hope to see you there.

Neil

Herkybird
07-14-2015, 15:14
I will be at Border Reiver too! Looking forward to seeing you there! :beer:

Union Jack
07-14-2015, 15:55
Richard it will be an honour. We have 2 tables 1 for Wings and 1 for SoG.

Herkybird
07-15-2015, 12:28
Thanks Neil! - I promise to make sure you figure prominently in the blog report from this years show (If my camera behaves!) :salute:

Union Jack
12-01-2015, 15:19
OK, Richard (Herkybird) and I will be at War & Pieces shop on Thursday 3rd December at 11am for some SoG action. All are welcome if they can make it.

And yes I will take pictures. (Camera willing).

Neil

Herkybird
12-01-2015, 15:33
OK, Richard (Herkybird) and I will be at War & Pieces shop on Thursday 3rd December at 11am for some SoG action. All are welcome if they can make it.

And yes I will take pictures. (Camera willing).

Neil

My camera will be there too! - I am sure it will be a lot of fun! :minis::cannonboom::takecover::steer::swordright::swordleft:

Bligh
12-02-2015, 00:44
I look forward with relish to see the pictures of the daring exploits from both of you.
It will help to brighten this miserable winter we are having at present.:sad:
I hope that you will be sailing in the Caribbean.:happy:

Bligh.

Union Jack
12-02-2015, 02:01
I expect lots of:
:cannonboom::takecover:

and

:takecover::cannon:

with both trying to:

:steer:

a

:happy:

course and might end with a bit of:

:swordright::swordleft::shootright::shootleft:

before we both:

:surrender:

ourselves to a well earned:

:beer: and :drinks:

and a final:

:thanks:

before heading for home.

Herkybird
12-02-2015, 02:38
Sounds like a plan, Mon Capitan! :rum::singin:

Union Jack
12-03-2015, 11:38
A great set of games, 3 in all. Quick AAR's to follow on all the action.

Herkybird
12-03-2015, 12:29
A great set of games, 3 in all. Quick AAR's to follow on all the action.

I have already got the Franco-Spanish version of events up! http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?3756-3-games-in-Ashington!

Union Jack
12-03-2015, 12:37
Having done a quick math.......the worlds oceans have approximately 162,319,677,818.54 6x4 tables worth of area. We can now confirm that the Royal Navy control 3 of them after today.

Herkybird
12-03-2015, 13:30
Pas du chance! Vive la Republique, Vive la France!