PDA

View Full Version : Help me make fun and balanced Scenarios

Haddock
09-23-2014, 11:13
Hello

Im all new to this game. Havent got to play the game, its waiting for me at my other house.

This is what I got for now:
1 x Starter Set
1 x Extra Counter sets
1 x Addition Ship mats
2 x Game mat (Ares own with grids)
1 x HMS Impetueux
1 x Le Berwick 1795
1 x Proserpine 1785
1 x HMS Sybille 1794

My plans are to play the game using 1 ship for eachplayer, after what I have read and understand about the game is that people will have full time concering their own vessel =)
So 4 vs 4 on two game mats.
I tried to buy so that I will have about equal streanght for French and English sides.
As you can see I havent got the terrain packs yet, but will when they get in stores were I live.

First I was thinking just to line up the ships on one side each and let the battle start.
But even if that is good for our first games, maybe scenarios will be nice to have aswell?
So with this setup, I wonder if you guys have any fun and balanced scenarios that I can try with my freinds

Edit:
And wich ships should I get next to intergrate with my otherones?

Coog
09-23-2014, 11:29
Welcome aboard Viktor! Here is a link to a thread that has some historical battles that may help you create some scenarios by substituting similar ships.

http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?1975-Scenario-Ideas-From-quot-On-This-Day-quot

Nightmoss
09-23-2014, 18:52
Greetings Viktor! Welcome to the Anchorage. :salute:

Naharaht
09-27-2014, 21:23
Welcome to the Anchorage, Viktor. Ares Games have published a list of 'point values' for the different ships, which may help you design balance scenarios. You can download it from http://www.aresgames.eu/category/downloads+sails-of-glory-games

In real life, encounters were seldom balanced, of course.

Kentop
09-27-2014, 22:04
Scenarios are found at the end of the SOG booklet. Most involve shore batteries or running blockades. SOG battle and movement is not realistic. It wants everybody to sail into the middle of the table and slug it out with broadsides. Chasing a leeward frigate ends with the frigate sailing off the playing surface, which immediately makes the fleeing frigate captured. In real life, a frigate would chase an enemy for days, weather depending. So, just relax and invent goals your players can achieve. First to damage with a broadside. First to rake. First to take a prize.

Gunner
09-28-2014, 00:55
I don't know about anyone else but I don't want to "spend days" chasing an enemy. SOG is a fun beer:beer: and pretzel game which I really enjoy.

If I want more detail and spend all day reading rules and playing one game, there's always, Hoist the Signal for Close Action by Langton.

f3llini
09-28-2014, 02:34
I wonder that half of the scenarios at the end of the SOG booklet is recomended to be played with two mats, even if there are only 2 players.
IŽll give them a chance with only one mat, if not this hobby will be too expensive :shock:

David Manley
09-28-2014, 05:42
You don't really need two mats, not even one mat. A blue sheet works fine. Naval wargamers have coped with this simple approach for decades :)

Gunner
09-28-2014, 14:14
You don't really need two mats, not even one mat. A blue sheet works fine. Naval wargamers have coped with this simple approach for decades :)

I'm with Dave. A blue sheet lets the playing field be as big as you have room for. Even though I have three mats, when the game starts I rarely us the lines and think they distract from the game. I think they should be thinner and a much lighter shade.:beer: