PDA

View Full Version : Letter of Marqusi: Pirate free for all Scenario

CPT Andy
09-15-2014, 16:35
I'm tossing around the idea for a pirate scenario. Each Captain would have a Letter of Marquis, giving them a license to sink any ships on the board.
I'm still in the process of collecting the fleets, but it would consist of:
3-4 French frigates
3-4 British frigates.
The fleets would start along the opposite long edge of a 5x8 table.
Across the table would be randomly scattered gold coins. The idea would be that as a ship passes over the coin they would collect the coin. If you sank any of the opposing fleet's ships, you would get all their collected gold, plus 3 gold coins. You could also sink ships in your own fleet, collecting all their gold, but alas, you would only get 2 gold coins (the 3rd gold piece would have to be used to pay off the local authorities, in order to avoid having the Captain hung for treason.

I don't know if anyone has run a scenario like this, but I'd be interested in feedback.

7eat51
09-15-2014, 17:26
Sounds interesting and fun.

Is the desire for team-play or for individual-play? If individual-play, I would let it be a free-for-all from the beginning. Maybe include some way to deposit coin so as not to carry all of it at once, creating some decision making as to when to head to an island for depositing and when to attack another ship.

Andy Blozinski
09-15-2014, 18:24
I had a similar idea last year. It specifically did NOT have a way to deposit coin. The more coin you had, the more juicier of a target you were for everyone around you. This concept also involved re-spawning as well.

Gunner
09-15-2014, 20:07
I'm tossing around the idea for a pirate scenario. Each Captain would have a Letter of Marquis, giving them a license to sink any ships on the board.
I'm still in the process of collecting the fleets, but it would consist of:
3-4 French frigates
3-4 British frigates.
The fleets would start along the opposite long edge of a 5x8 table.
Across the table would be randomly scattered gold coins. The idea would be that as a ship passes over the coin they would collect the coin. If you sank any of the opposing fleet's ships, you would get all their collected gold, plus 3 gold coins. You could also sink ships in your own fleet, collecting all their gold, but alas, you would only get 2 gold coins (the 3rd gold piece would have to be used to pay off the local authorities, in order to avoid having the Captain hung for treason.

I don't know if anyone has run a scenario like this, but I'd be interested in feedback.

Played a treasure collecting scenario many years ago. The gold was placed on small islands that your ship had to anchor next to for one turn to collect the treasure.
We used to put 25 cents each per Island. If you strike:surrender:, your treasure chest goes:moneygone: to the last ship that fired on you. Decide what game turn the game is over and pocket your booty. Any money still on any islands, split between the players by flipping a coin or rolling a die. You don't win or lose much, just the glory of depriving the other captains of the booty.:beer::beer:

Diamondback
09-15-2014, 20:55
Ed, sounds almost like the premise of WizKids Pirates, but "for real marbles."

Gunner
09-15-2014, 21:01
Maybe that's where we got the idea.:beer:

CPT Andy
09-16-2014, 14:58
I'm thinking that initially it would start out with alliances, but eventually, if you wanted to become the "King of Pirates", you'd eventually have to turn on your brethren.

Naharaht
11-08-2014, 16:06
A game like this might appeal to younger players, particularly if you used some of those chocolate coins covered with gold foil. You may, of course, have trouble preventing them from eating the coins before the game ended.

Gunner
11-08-2014, 18:19
Don't know about them young'uns but our 40 to 70 group sure enjoyed it.:beer:

Kentop
11-09-2014, 08:46
Alliances might get pretty confusing. If two or more ships decided to "gang up" on one ship, you could temporarily add a matching pennant (thin colored ribbon tied to the main top) of each ship that wanted to participate). Once the action was over, each pirate ship could strike their pennants and go after each other or form new alliances to finish off someone else.

Naharaht
11-09-2014, 09:24
To allow Alliances you would have to introduce some form of ship-to-ship communication rules.

Kentop
11-09-2014, 12:56
The ship to ship communication is by pennant. You can form an alliance with someone else whether they want you to or not. You can quit an alliance anytime you want whether they want you to or not. Everyone gets a ribbon of a different color. If you see one ship attack another, you simply tie the color ribbon of either the attacker or defender to your topmast and attack. Then, you can switch sides depending on how the battle is going and after it is over, stike their pennant and attack the victorious but damaged ship! We're talking about pirate alliances, which aren't worth a farthing. You have to engage your "enemy/ally" in combat no later than the next turn. If three pirates gang up on the fourth, then two should gang up on the "ally" in the worst condition. That's thinking like a pirate!

Lucky Jack
11-10-2014, 09:44
I think it's not so easy with changing the sides, even for pirates. All pirates had much to loose, and so they were ging only calculated risks. In this case it means that no one would do the first shot. Normally they would have sail away I think.
But when it shall be only a funny game, with no care about the own men..... then fire to the guns.
:takecover::takecover::takecover:

Union Jack
11-18-2014, 02:40
Nothing like a bit of backstabbing it 'aint Hollywood bit it's damn sight more fun. Love the idea of the chocolate coins unfortunately there might not be any left in 6 years time (news bulletin).