PDA

View Full Version : Sea Monster rules

Andy Blozinski
09-12-2014, 21:41
I think I'm going to run a whacky game in Austin using these. This an incomplete work in progress and will require playtesting, but here's the start:

Coog
09-12-2014, 23:35
I think I'm going to run a whacky game in Austin using these. This an incomplete work in progress and will require playtesting, but here's the start:

Not sure if I'll make it to Millennium this year, breaking a long of chain of attendance. But if I do I'll have to get in on your game. Sounds like a lot fun.

ChyronDave
09-13-2014, 14:18
Interesting. These are the monsters from that old pirates game where you built the ships, right?

Diamondback
09-13-2014, 15:43
Right.

Nightmoss
09-13-2014, 18:28
Looks like great fun.

Kentop
09-13-2014, 20:02
Ye gods, you just created a D&D monster manual for SOG! What's next? Sirens and mermaids enchanting sailors to their doom?

Naharaht
09-13-2014, 21:34
Please give us an A.A.R. when you can, Andy. Something like this will make a change from normal battles.

Andy Blozinski
09-13-2014, 23:20
Please give us an A.A.R. when you can, Andy. Something like this will make a change from normal battles.
I'm probably going to set it up as the fog bank game with a pirate popping up in the middle and then have the pirate controlling the sea monsters as a distraction for him to escape. I still need to decide how many hull boxes for the monsters. I'll probably go with three. I'm thinking on maybe counting crew damage as 1 point of hull damage. If I do this, the crab would be immune to crew damage and I might need to lower his burden. I might need to give him entanglement. I'm also thinking on giving Nessie the ability to do a boarding action.

Nightmoss
09-14-2014, 09:46
Nice photo! is that from a recent event you ran? I knew you had developed the fog bank, but hadn't realized you'd used it yet? :thumbsup:

7eat51
09-14-2014, 11:31
Very cool idea, Andy. I will incorporate this during one of our fall games, one targeted at youngsters.

Please let us know how it goes, and any changes you suggest. I will share feedback with you as well.

7eat51
09-14-2014, 11:36
Ye gods, you just created a D&D monster manual for SOG! What's next? Sirens and mermaids enchanting sailors to their doom?

Kenneth, we have not lost our minds, or at least this is not an example of that; we still may have lost our minds, though. :wink:

We were discussing various alternatives not too long ago, ways in which we can draw others into the game, and, subsequently, introduce them to more historical scenarios. One member developed racing scenarios, a great way to teach basic mechanics that could have broader appeal, part of which employed sea monsters.

csadn
09-14-2014, 14:52
Well, if I'm ever at your table, and that first one appears... there may be "no such thing as 'overkill'", but I will definitely demonstrate the difference between "nope" and "*NOPE*".

Diamondback
09-14-2014, 15:03
*snickers* Which means you ever show up at my table I better bring a pack of my Fine Finny Friends to play...

Aren't they SOOO CUUTE with those big smiles? :D :p

Andy Blozinski
09-14-2014, 19:51
Nice photo! is that from a recent event you ran? I knew you had developed the fog bank, but hadn't realized you'd used it yet? :thumbsup:

Well...kinda. That was at a small sci-fi convention. The centerpiece of the convention was that pretty much the entire major cast of a small production movie called Star Trek: Axanar was there. They were giving a preview of what had been done so far with the cast present. It turns out my game started one hour before the big premier. Soooooo, I had two players show up, one of whom said he had to leave in 45 minutes to catch the big debut.
The end result is that the fog bank did not get used.

7eat51
09-14-2014, 20:40
The end result is that the fog bank did not get used.

That's a shame because it looks really good. The effect after lifting it could be great.

Nightmoss
09-14-2014, 23:47
Sorry to hear you got stood up! It looks great and would really facilitate the unknowns of sailing in fog. I hope you get a chance to use it to better effect soon.

csadn
09-15-2014, 15:25
*snickers* Which means you ever show up at my table I better bring a pack of my Fine Finny Friends to play...

Aren't they SOOO CUUTE with those big smiles? :D :p

"Smile, you sonofa--" <*BOOOOOOOOM*!>

Diamondback
09-15-2014, 15:38
I only do that because I know that if you could lay hands on Ill-Tempered Giant Mutant Shellfish you'd almost certainly try to head-screw me with them... :p

Walram can tell you I was REAL thrilled the first time somebody brought one of those to the table in our Pirates days. LOL

csadn
09-16-2014, 15:35
I only do that because I know that if you could lay hands on Ill-Tempered Giant Mutant Shellfish you'd almost certainly try to head-screw me with them...

Don't you mean "head-crab"? >;)

Diamondback
09-18-2014, 17:53
*smacks French with ill-tempered mutated sea bass*

csadn
09-19-2014, 14:51
*smacks French with ill-tempered mutated sea bass*

I didn't know you played slap-bass. :)