PDA

View Full Version : Arizona: Permission to come aboard

Kentop
09-10-2014, 10:15
Tucson Arizona is my home port and my slip is at Isle of Games, which just opened on Broadway here. You can check them out on Facebook. It was those good gentlemen who first showed me Sails of Glory, and they are setting up a SOG night on Thursdays. I'm a war gamer from way back and I still have my Avalon Hill, SPI, and S&T games and magazines. I really enjoyed playing Battle of Jutland back in the day on my living room floor, and SOG reminds me of that game. I'm very glad to have found this forum. You folks are really talented, inventive, and supportive. I recon I'll be sailing by regularly.

Gunner
09-10-2014, 10:44
Welcome:beer: from Maricopa, Ken. I get down your way a few times a year. Maybe we can set up a meet.

Kentop
09-10-2014, 10:58
That would be great.

Tommy Z
09-10-2014, 11:28
Welcome from Ohio, Ken! :beer:

Coog
09-10-2014, 11:35
Welcome aboard Kenneth!

DeRuyter
09-10-2014, 11:49
Welcome aboard Kenneth! Looks like you need more wind by the looks of your photo! What are you sailing there?

Kentop
09-10-2014, 11:59
Thats a little Catalina 18 in a very light breeze. I go to San Diego and day sail from time to time. In the next year or two, I'm planning on getting my ASA sailing certificate so I can rent 50 footers and do some serious sailing.

Nightmoss
09-10-2014, 14:23
Greetings Kenneth. Welcome aboard the Anchorage. :salute:

Naharaht
09-10-2014, 16:41
Welcome to the Anchorage, Kenneth.

Diamondback
09-10-2014, 18:50
Mildly late to the party Welcome Aboard from Seattle. :)

7eat51
09-10-2014, 22:52
Welcome aboard, Kenneth. :salute:

You are in good company in Arizona - some great members there, even if one of them is a Cubs fan.

Gunner
09-11-2014, 02:22
Let's not forget DA Bears Eric. Even though they were robbed in overtime last Sunday.:drinks:

Kentop
09-11-2014, 07:14
I'd like to see a SOG NFL edition with ships painted in team colors, although the Bears might only be a 5th rater! Tampa Bay already has a ship! 11569

Cmmdre
09-11-2014, 07:19
Welcome aboard Kenneth. :salute:

7eat51
09-11-2014, 08:32
Let's not forget DA Bears Eric. Even though they were robbed in overtime last Sunday.:drinks:

Unfortunately, we were with friends from Philadelphia on Sunday. They seemed to enjoy the travesty.

I'd like to see a SOG NFL edition with ships painted in team colors

We have members capable of such a feat.

I am not sure if this is fortunate or not, but I can imagine having two sides, each painted in NFL colors, being a draw at our FLGS.

although the Bears might only be a 5th rater!

:swordright: :pistole: :shootright: :cannonboom:

Diamondback
09-11-2014, 10:27
Hey, still better than my Seahawks... we WIN THE FRICKIN' SUPER BOWL and STILL get the shaft on merchandising...

Gunner
09-11-2014, 11:06
although the Bears might only be a 5th rater!

For a moment, I thought we might get along.:shootleft:

Eric, would you see what you can do about adding a swab walking the plank icon?:beer:

DeRuyter
09-11-2014, 11:32
Thats a little Catalina 18 in a very light breeze. I go to San Diego and day sail from time to time. In the next year or two, I'm planning on getting my ASA sailing certificate so I can rent 50 footers and do some serious sailing.

Nice! I am in a club that has Flying Scots and Thistles (for racing). The club had a Hunter 21.5 but sold it. I understand that Baja is great for chartering. Good luck with the certification.

Gunner
09-11-2014, 11:41
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Edit
What happened to Bob's picture?

Coog
09-11-2014, 11:59
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Edit
What happened to Bob's picture?

Is it showing? I'm only seeing an icon.

Jack Aubrey
09-11-2014, 12:41
Welcome, willkommen Kenneth :thumbsup:

Kentop
09-11-2014, 12:44
San Diego Bay is a great place to go day sailing. Bad weather almost never happens. Most days, you can rent a small single hander up to 25' without any kind of certification. I usually pack a lunch and head out onto the bay around 1 pm (my avatar shows me doing just that), the westerly wind usually stays around 5 knots in the early afternoon and by sunset is up to 10 - 15 knots. It's ridiculous how steady and constant the winds are almost all year round. Tons of traffic on the bay, lots of US Navy ships coming and going, but still plenty of room for a little cat. AS for Baja, Cabo San Lucas at the southern tip is almost indistinguishable from San Diego, but the "federales" make it much harder to simply daysail. They're suspicious and will board you if they've never seen you before. Are you racing J boats?

Gunner
09-11-2014, 12:55

Is it showing? I'm only seeing an icon.

It is now. Your whole post disappeared for a while. Probably by a Packers fan.:drinks:

fredmiracle
09-11-2014, 13:17
San Diego Bay is a great place to go day sailing. Bad weather almost never happens. Most days, you can rent a small single hander up to 25' without any kind of certification.

I grew up in the desert, but my dad knew a bit about boats, so every few years when I was a kid we'd go to SD for beaching and sailing. The family would all cram into the rental boat--I'm sure just like what you mentioned--and tried to stay out of dad's way. The one thing any of the rest of us knew was that when he yelled "prepare to tack" we all ducked fast to avoid getting beaned by the boom. Good memories.

Coog
09-11-2014, 14:23
It is now. Your whole post disappeared for a while. Probably by a Packers fan.:drinks:

I did post it then deleted the post when all I saw for the photo was the little black box with a white x in it icon. Still, that is all I am seeing after re-posting it while everyone else can see the photo. Strange.:question:

Gunner
09-11-2014, 14:29
I did post it then deleted the post when all I saw for the photo was the little black box with a white x in it icon. Still, that is all I am seeing after re-posting it while everyone else can see the photo. Strange.:question:

Can you see the photo with my last reply?

Coog
09-11-2014, 14:35
Can you see the photo with my last reply?

No. There is also a photo in post #13 by Kenneth which is doing the same now. Just seems to be on this thread.

Just posted a different one. All I see is the same icon, no photo.

Edited an old post attaching an old photo, works fine. Something with the photo must be corrupting the files in this thread for me.

Kentop
09-11-2014, 15:24
For a moment, I thought we might get along.:shootleft:

Eric, would you see what you can do about adding a swab walking the plank icon?:beer:

Don't get me wrong, I like the Bears, but I just can't put them on a pedestal like a die-hard fan. They didn't even make the playoffs last year (thanks GB). I married a girl from Rhode Island who is a die-hard Patriots/Red Sox/Celtics/Bruins fan long before Arizona had a single professional team, so I root for those guys. Please don't make me walk the plank, my son is a Bears fan, and even though he's 38, no Bears fan should be an orphan!

Gunner
09-11-2014, 15:53
Hi Ken, I do hope you know 99.5% of all rubs on this site is done in jest.:drinks: Still looking forward to meeting you and trying to talk you into checking out Cowboy Fast Draw. There are two clubs in Tucson, the "Old pueblo Gunfighters" which is a great place to shoot and, the "Cactus Patch Posse" which is a new club that I haven't been to yet.
The plank is withdrawn, but it would make a great icon for this site.:beer:

Kentop
09-11-2014, 19:17
Hi Ken, I do hope you know 99.5% of all rubs on this site is done in jest.:drinks: Still looking forward to meeting you and trying to talk you into checking out Cowboy Fast Draw. There are two clubs in Tucson, the "Old pueblo Gunfighters" which is a great place to shoot and, the "Cactus Patch Posse" which is a new club that I haven't been to yet.
The plank is withdrawn, but it would make a great icon for this site.:beer:

Darn! I can't tell threat from joke without inflection. Oh, the limitations of the printed word! Let me introduce myself before you decide to come on down and visit. I am a libtard Obama loving Marxist. I own an AK-47, an AR-15 (M-16 A1 configuration) various pistols, rifles, shotguns, and even a 50 caliber flintlock pistol. I am very good with each and every one of my weapons. I drink like a fish and my preferred libation is ale. The last time I drank a Budweiser, I thought I missed my mouth because I tasted nothing! So, come on down, lets play a drunken game of SOG (I think thats the way it probably should be played), go shoot guns, and wind up in a bar somewhere. Just don't come down here to preach to me about gun control, border issues, Nancy Pelosi, or any other prejudices you may harbor. I mean it, I really am a Marxist, but Marxism doesn't matter when you are shouting, "Fire as your guns come to bear! All hands abaft, cut away that mizzen. Step lively." Real men follow their passions, SOG and guns and beer are all passions. We have a lot in common. I have a guest room with it's own en suite bathroom. If you have to stay at a hotel when you come down, I can save you lots of money. Anybody else there who wants to come to Tucson and play SOG in my home and stay in my guest room is welcome. Pool season is almost over here in Tucson, come visit.

Gunner
09-11-2014, 20:59
Darn! I can't tell threat from joke without inflection. Oh, the limitations of the printed word! Let me introduce myself before you decide to come on down and visit. I am a libtard Obama loving Marxist. I own an AK-47, an AR-15 (M-16 A1 configuration) various pistols, rifles, shotguns, and even a 50 caliber flintlock pistol. I am very good with each and every one of my weapons. I drink like a fish and my preferred libation is ale. The last time I drank a Budweiser, I thought I missed my mouth because I tasted nothing! So, come on down, lets play a drunken game of SOG (I think thats the way it probably should be played), go shoot guns, and wind up in a bar somewhere. Just don't come down here to preach to me about gun control, border issues, Nancy Pelosi, or any other prejudices you may harbor. I mean it, I really am a Marxist, but Marxism doesn't matter when you are shouting, "Fire as your guns come to bear! All hands abaft, cut away that mizzen. Step lively." Real men follow their passions, SOG and guns and beer are all passions. We have a lot in common. I have a guest room with it's own en suite bathroom. If you have to stay at a hotel when you come down, I can save you lots of money. Anybody else there who wants to come to Tucson and play SOG in my home and stay in my guest room is welcome. Pool season is almost over here in Tucson, come visit.

Seems like we do have some things in common, I also have a Colt AR-15 SP1 series (M-16 A1 configuration), Colt 1911, Thompson Contender w/ many barrels & calibers, Colt SAA 45 LC. Remington & Ruger 45 LC & 38, Winchester 76 & 94 lever action, double barrel shotguns and a gun safe full of other guns plus a Hoyt target bow. Favorite beer is Sam Adams Boston Lager:beer:, and Bud tastes like seltzer water. I see that you like pool, I have a full size table in the front room. and a guest room that you are welcome to use when you're in the Phoenix area. The only problem we might have is me watching my tongue when Obama, Hillary, Pelosi & their gang is mentioned. In my house bashing them and complaining about the lack of border agents is encouraged. But after three or four beers I could care less about politics.:drinks:

PS And have MANY SGN ships.

Kentop
09-11-2014, 21:50
It's a match made in heaven. Let's get together and P A R T Y ! I can't play pool to save my ass. But I have a pool. The water's delicious right now. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a government issue Colt 1911 when I was in the Air Force back during Vietnam. But I qualified marksman with an M-16. Sam Adams is too hoppy. I'm a Guiness man. Again, winter is quickly descending. Anybody stuck up north who wants to come visit in the dead of winter can PM me and set a date. My only requirement is that you play Sails of Glory with me, once during your visit. Book your vacation now! Really! No Kidding!

Kentop
09-11-2014, 22:53
Here is where you will be staying, hardwood flooring throughout, Cable TV HBO, Wireless network, AND Sails of Glory. What more could you want?: 115831158411585