PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Issues

kenji
09-10-2014, 04:15
Hi Mates.

As a new player I have been doing some background research into this great game. One issue that I was dismayed to find out about was that a number of ship models arrived with damaged parts (I.e. de-masted ships). I believe that Ares has taken steps to correct this problem as it seemed the packaging didn't protect the ships in transit.

Has anyone experienced this issue or know how things stand now?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Arakus
09-10-2014, 04:41
This problem ( broken Foremast ) was mostly on the british and french first rates, but could also occour on other ships when not good packed from retailer.
Happens because the ships can move to much in the box itself, ares investigated the problem and had a solution for the future.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1402889231/sails-of-glory-miniatures-ship-combat/posts

They will enhance the ship packages for the future releases/restock, should be easy to see if a ship has a old or new package.
In my collection where five first rates damaged ( out of 12 ), and three 40 gun frigates ( out of 6, hmm, all damaged ships are from second wave... ).

Here in forum are good threads where it is explained how to repair such damage and for me i will take this ships for conversion ( exchange masts and sails with langton ones ).

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?2419-Wave-2-Mast-Repair

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?2645-Broken-Mast-Repairs

Hope i could help you a bit. :salute:

kenji
09-10-2014, 06:37
Outstanding reply Jorge!

Thank you for your help!

kenji
09-10-2014, 08:42
I was in a recent discussion with another potential player that is thinking of taking the plunge into SoG. Although he likes the game (and its system) he was concerned about all the reports of the ship miniatures arriving with broken masts (which has now been addressed by Ares) and the ships themselves being delicate. For those of you who have had the game for awhile how have the ship miniatures held up to being handled during play?

Arakus
09-10-2014, 08:46
As far i know they are stable enough to play.
Its funny when you enhance the ships with rigging the will be much more stable then before.
So you make them looking better and protecting them from damage. :happy:

fredmiracle
09-10-2014, 11:40
I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with the durability of the ships in play. If they make it through shipping, they seem to be pretty tough.

To add to the shipping question:
1) There have been no problems with the original release of ships, some of which you may still be able to find around
2) The small ships (sloops) have not had problems
3) Ares and their retailers have been very proactive about replacing any broken ships. So it's annoying, but there's no out-of-pocket
4) As you've probably gathered, the new packaging has been produced and should be in the channel very shortly

in short, I would not see it as something to keep anyone from getting into the game

Diamondback
09-10-2014, 13:00
Just got a note from Roberto, re the Wave 2 fixed-packaging run: "We are receiving the ships now (they are in customs since last week)." How to tell 1st release from 2nd release: "They can be recognized by the presence of a transparent plastic lid on top of the ship (similar to the lid in the Starter Set) clearly visible through the window in the box."

So... the improved-packaging First Rates should start shipping from the warehouse within, call it another 2-3 weeks guesstimate just to be cautious.

kenji
09-10-2014, 14:24
Thanks to everyone for their feedback.

7eat51
09-10-2014, 23:09
I have not had any problems from playing, or even from transporting. I had a casualty at Origins due to dropping on the floor, and a couple due to the Wave 2 mast problems. The first is somewhat unavoidable; the second one has been addressed. Overall as game pieces, I am quite pleased.

ChyronDave
09-11-2014, 00:52
It looks like I've been real lucky with my ships, too. Out of all the ships I picked up, only one had a broken mast issue. That one was easily fixed with a little super glue.

Diamondback
09-11-2014, 06:38
The frigates and sloops were 12/12 no problems, I'll report on my first half-dozen First Rates when they arrive--which is scheduled for Friday at this point.

kenji
09-11-2014, 07:58
I am very encouraged by everyone's feedback. Hopefully as time moves forward the shipping de-masting problem will be eliminated with the new package design.