PDA

View Full Version : British Warships in the Age of Sail 1714-1792: Design, Construction, Careers & Fates

Diamondback
08-24-2014, 22:52
Book Title:
British Warships in the Age of Sail 1714-1792: Design, Construction, Careers & Fates Author:
Rif Winfield ISBN:
978-1-78346-925-3 Category:
Reference Format:
Multiple Summary:
In tandem with its companion volume BWAS 1793-1817, this book is a veritable Bible of the Royal Navy during the time of SGN. Winfield is basically the heir to noted naval historian David Lyon after having been invited to complete Lyon's last unfinished masterpiece The Sail & Steam Navy List, and has continued to use that experience and the Lyon archive to expand and deepen his coverage of the ships that flew the Red, White or Blue Ensigns. The magic word here is "exhaustive coverage"--it covers virtually every ship commissioned into the RN during the time discussed, including the veritable swarm of brigs, ketches and other "little guys" that give me fits trying to group into potential sculpts, but in almost all classes it's very good with the design data about how these ships were related to one another.

Hardcover is usually $50ish, Nook digital edition (which I bought) is $30--worth every penny, my only complaint being the lagging availability of its companion volumes in digital form.

7eat51
08-25-2014, 12:19
Does this read like a book or like an encyclopedia (short entries)?

I see these referenced quite often.

Thanks for the review, DB.

David Manley
08-25-2014, 12:49
It (and its companion volumes) are more encyclopedic in nature

Diamondback
08-25-2014, 16:06
Thanks for hitting cleanup, David. :)

7eat51
08-25-2014, 20:57
Thanks, David.

I just ordered the later years edition through interlibrary loan.

Diamondback
08-25-2014, 21:12
More exciting, the same author has a volume in the pipe to kick off the same coverage of the French fleet, due out late next year if all goes according to plan.

Bligh
10-29-2016, 08:46
Working backwards, I got the French Fleet first, early this year, and the two British ones this week.
I can vouch for them being every bit as good as DB stated. They are between them the Naval equivalent of Jane's Aircraft books with bells and whistles added. If the information on a certain ship is not here, it is probably unobtainable. Well worth the money in my opinion.
Rob.