PDA

View Full Version : Hi all...

Popsical
08-24-2014, 04:45
New to Sails of Glory and looking forward to chatting about my new venture.
I've always been interested in Napoleonic naval warfare and my daughter has a passion for the Pirates of the carribean films, so this seems the best game for us to share in my wargames hobby and her interest in pirates. I love the look of the models and the simplicity yet effectiveness of the rules.
Hey its win, win for me as i must have offended the dice gods in a past life, NO dice in this game? YAY!

So, im going to paint up one of my starter ships as the Black pearl (inspired by a thread on this here forum), Whats the best approach to painting these models?

Being a regular visitor to Portsmouth to see my footie team (play up pompey!!!!), i am gagging to get myself a model of HMS Victory, is it likely to be available?
If Vicky is to be a kickstarter payee offer only, can someone get me one?

Also, ratlines for my little boaties, how best do i go about getting them? Us poor UK folk get fairly hammered by customs on items from the US.

So fire away shipmates!

7eat51
08-24-2014, 13:21
Welcome aboard, Steve. :salute:

SoG and WoG are great games in that they can be enjoyed by various levels or types of players. The nice thing about SoG is the different depths to which one can take the rules.

Best wishes with playing with your daughter.

The Victory should be available to anyone as a regular purchase sometime before the end of time. At this stage, I am not sure what benefit exists for those who added her on during the KS.

As for custom charges, etc., there doesn't seem to be a good way around them if you buy directly from a U.S. supplier. The only way I know of is if a U.S. member buys them for you as a gift.

Naharaht
08-24-2014, 14:06
Welcome to the Anchorage, Steve. If you search this site, you will find how another member painted a ship to look like the Black Pearl.

Nightmoss
08-24-2014, 15:46
Greetings Steve and welcome aboard. I replied to you inquiry on the ratlines in the other thread. Eric and David answered your other questions and yes there are pirates here about. :wink:

Diamondback
08-24-2014, 22:26
YARRR! Welcome aboard, matey...

Coog
08-24-2014, 22:28
Welcome aboard Steve!

Old Salt
08-25-2014, 06:16
Welcome from Alberta

Arakus
08-25-2014, 07:50
Welcome! :happy:

Popsical
08-25-2014, 13:23
Thanks for the great welcome folks!
Visited Portsmouth dockyards today (in the teeming rain) with my daughter, if youve never been, i can only say that youve got to go.
Victory is going thru its biggest restoration ever at the moment and is half dismasted, but still awe inspiring, a true work of art.
HMS Warrior, the ship that made the worlds navies obsolete at a stroke, is still afloat and looking as formidable as ever.
The Mary Rose now has a full museum and is no longer being sprayed 24 7 so is far better viewed, the recovered artifacts such as the ships dogs remains are wonderfully displayed.

If i can get my head round it i shall post some piccies. Forgive the quality, but they were taken on my phone in monsoon conditions!

Nightmoss
08-25-2014, 13:30
Super! Thanks for posting.

Popsical
08-25-2014, 13:31
Warrior above.
Interior below.

Popsical
08-25-2014, 13:39
As Rik Mayall would have said... "its a blooody cannon!!!!"

With my beautiful daughter.

Popsical
08-25-2014, 13:42
My Princess, me and my mum:

Popsical
08-25-2014, 13:47
Victory and her innards:

Popsical
08-25-2014, 14:20
Victory gun:

Popsical
08-25-2014, 14:23
The Mary Rose and her ships dog "Hatch":
Sorry about the ship pic, its thru thick glass and the air con obscures alot.
Rather than a scene from Alien movies it really is worth seeing.
The reason for her sinking and loss of 500 lives is rather pathetic in its simplicity. Very sad indeed.

Cmmdre
08-25-2014, 19:24
Welcome aboard Steve. :salute:

7eat51
08-25-2014, 20:49
She is a beautiful ship. Makes me even more desirous to receive her mini. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Popsical
08-26-2014, 13:59
Cheers paul.

I have to agree with you eric, i hope ares do Victory her due justice in mini form, and i am also eagerly awaiting her.
Have ares considered cards representing famous historical commanders such as Nelson?

Regarding my trip to pompey, the new Mary rose museum really brings home the history the ship well.
The original hull remains sit oppostite a mock up of the other side which has the guns and other finds on display.
Its well thought out and implemented and very informative.
An era which could also be done in SoG i think.

Mary Rose sank as water entered her lower gun ports in a turn, which allowed the swell to enter.
Only 30 of her crew survived from 500! All the more devastating for the lack of enemy action involved.

Nightmoss
08-26-2014, 15:01
Cheers paul.

I have to agree with you eric, i hope ares do Victory her due justice in mini form, and i am also eagerly awaiting her.
Have ares considered cards representing famous historical commanders such as Nelson?

Regarding my trip to pompey, the new Mary rose museum really brings home the history the ship well.
The original hull remains sit oppostite a mock up of the other side which has the guns and other finds on display.
Its well thought out and implemented and very informative.
An era which could also be done in SoG i think.

Mary Rose sank as water entered her lower gun ports in a turn, which allowed the swell to enter.
Only 30 of her crew survived from 500! All the more devastating for the lack of enemy action involved.

Steve, after your post I went searching for more information on the Mary Rose. I found this YouTube video to be interesting. How accurate it is I wont say (although David can probably comment)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eomi2--fLjo

Popsical
08-26-2014, 16:21
Thanks jim. That is pretty much the conclusion of all the experts of this time. I saw that documentary on channel 4 and its nice to be reminded of it.
She proved that more isnt neccessarily better.
Most appreciated jim.

7eat51
08-26-2014, 23:10
Thanks for the video link, Jim. Something to watch this holiday weekend.

Comte de Brueys
09-07-2014, 10:24
Bonjour Steve.

Welcome on board. :beer:

Thank you for those great pictures.

Capn Duff
09-10-2014, 04:33
Welcome Steve, from Brizzle

Berthier
10-27-2014, 22:39
Belated welcome Steve, love the photos. When I visited the Victory in 1985 (!) she was without her bowsprit and foremast, seems the work of keeping her in fine shape never ends.

Kentop
10-28-2014, 08:32
Great photos, thanks for posting them. SOG is great fun to play and the Anchorage is the best place to talk about it. Are you still in shock with what happened to Portland FC? I'm a tractor boy myself (that's a fan of Ipswich Town FC for the soccer challenged yanks among us). Welcome to the forum.

Gunner
10-28-2014, 11:08
Don't know how I missed your introduction but, welcome aboard Steve.
Looks like your daughter is enjoying the trip. Thanks for the well thought out photos.:beer:

DeRuyter
10-28-2014, 11:50
Welcome and thanks for the photos. The way I look at it the rain kept the crowds away! Next time I am on your side of the pond I am off to Portsmouth! Last time we scored club seats for an Arsenal game for my son, so no ships for me. Of course now I am a Gunner!

Popsical
10-30-2014, 02:01
Thanks for the welcome guys.
Portsmouth FC going pop was a big emotional drain on a great many of us that love our team, the only way is up for the future we hope.
My daughter loved the trip and now wants to go back repeatedly lol.
Rain NEVER keeps the crowds away in blighty, if it did we would all stay home all year!!! Actually you're right Eric it was quiter that day, which was pretty good really. We werent allowed on the top deck of Victory tho as it was deemed too slippery for health and safety issues.
Commiserations on your indoctrination to Gunnerhood, remember the key supporter action, BE QUIET while the game is being played, They dont like noisy fans SHHHHHHH.