PDA

View Full Version : TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Sternchaser
08-22-2014, 22:05
Ahoy thar!

Hi my names Trevor, I'm from Victoria in Australia.

I haven't yet taken the plunge and bought the game yet as I where I live, historical gaming is near to non existant apart from a couple of FoW players. GW and similar Fast Food games have too strong a grip on would be gamers.

Most of my gaming is solo which is fine, but nothing beats playing head to head against a real player.

I play mostly WoG, (I'm Roger Wilco on the Aerodrome site), X-Wing and some of the THW Solo games like Nuts in 28mm and All Things Zombie in 15mm / HO scale. Being a solo gamer I tend to spend more time painting figures and making terrain and buildings to play with. I just love a cluttered wargaming table, the gaming has taken a bit of a back seat.

I saw this game go through the Kick starter but I wasn't sure what I thought so I didn't take the leap of faith, but have been lurking around here on and off and I am liking what I see. I used to play Napoleonic Naval using a miniatures version of Wooden Ships & Iron Men by Avalon Hill that I rewrote myself. I used to play using GHQ ships and used to painstackingly rig the models, spending way too much time on each. I still have those ships but they are slowly getting damaged when handled by others. I imagine the SoG models are fairly robust and with some PE ratlines and some rigging I'm sure they will be a tougher still. I hope to buy a couple of ships in a couple of weeks to rebuild and repaint and later I'll buy the starter set if I can find one that doesn't require a kings ransom in postage.

The Avatar I have chosen is of HMVS Nelson 120 guns entering the newly opened Alfred Graving Dock at Williamstown, where I was born and raised. There are remnants of the Nelson all over Williamstown and rural Victoria, ie figurehead, anchors and cannon. The Nelson was sent to protect Port Phillip under the Defence of Colonies Act. Upon arrival she was turned into a reformatory and a sail training ship. Over the years The Nelson was slowly modernised by being eventually stripped of two gun decks and becoming a single masted Steam Frigate. She ended her life as a coal hulk in Tasmania and then chopped up for building materials. It was said her timbers were found to be in condition. The last of her remains were set on fire in !924.

My Profile photo is of me in 1988 at the helm of HMS Warrior at Portsmouth. I'm dressed in wet weather gear because the day I was there it was drizzle through thick fog and I could only see things at 100 feet or closer. It was a very eerie experience but its an amazing place to visit.

Enough for the moment and If you need me I'll down in the bilge fattening up some rats I caught last night.

Trevor

7eat51
08-23-2014, 07:38
Welcome aboard, Trevor. :salute:

It will be nice sailing waters, as well as flying in the sky, with you. :beer:

Nightmoss
08-23-2014, 09:43
Greetings Trevor. Welcome aboard the Anchorage! :salute:

Cmmdre
08-23-2014, 10:32
Salute and welcome Trevor. It's great to have another Aussie on board. Cheers! :salute: :beer: :thumbsup:

Jack Aubrey
08-23-2014, 13:40
Welcome, Trevor, willkommen :thumbsup:

Coog
08-23-2014, 14:45
Welcome aboard Trevor!

Gunner
08-23-2014, 15:04
Welcome:beer: from Arizona, Trevor. I like your Alias. I chased a few trim sterns in the day.

Sternchaser
08-23-2014, 20:45
Hi guys and thanks for the welcoming party.

I have been totally inspired looking at some of the repaints and rigs here overnight. Me thinks I had best jump onto the bandwagon sooner rather than later.

Oh and fattened rat kebabs are on me, just close your eyes and quickly chase it down with your rum ration neat! The strange after taste will go away after a day or so.

Arakus
08-24-2014, 09:21
Welcome!

Capn Duff
08-24-2014, 09:43
Welcome Trevor, see you in the Wardroom :) From Bristol UK

7eat51
08-24-2014, 13:03
Oh and fattened rat kebabs are on me, just close your eyes and quickly chase it down with your rum ration neat! The strange after taste will go away after a day or so.

Sue and I had some excellent smoked field rat "kabobs" in Ghana. Folks slit them along the stomach side, stretch the critter out with sticks, and smoke them over a fire - truly awesome taste. Our friends made soup and stew using the meat.

I will ask Sue if she can transfer our pictures into a digital format and post them for you.

Sternchaser
08-24-2014, 16:09
Err thanks Eric, I could use some more recipes for rat, only problem is that us stowaways can't read in the dark, if I go topside someone will see me and I will get pressed into the crew, and I don't like much what I hear about the Capt'n of this ship.

Comte de Brueys
09-07-2014, 10:20
Bonjour Trevor.

Welcome on board. :beer:

kenji
09-11-2014, 08:02
Hi Trevor.

Welcome aboard from a fellow newbie!

At this point I anticipate that I won't be able to find any fellow players in my local area until the game gets more established. In the meantime I am keeping my eye out for the developing Solo Rules to get some "game time" in.

Good luck to us all.
:beer:

7eat51
09-11-2014, 08:08
Kenji, if you want to join our current solo campaign, or the one starting in October, let me know and you and I can create a roster of captains for you.

kenji
09-11-2014, 08:22
Kenji, if you want to join our current solo campaign, or the one starting in October, let me know and you and I can create a roster of captains for you.

Thank you for the offer Eric!

At this point I still need to make my way down to my retailer to pickup my SoG order. Therefore I am not able to play yet but I am aware of your group's Solo Rules development project. Thank you for the work, I will be keeping an eye on it.

7eat51
09-11-2014, 08:26
If you ever want to jump in, just let us know.

Our goal is to have rules ready for a year-long campaign between the French and British starting in January. These little campaigns have disparate scenarios, mixed navies, etc. - primarily for rule testing, practice writing AARs, etc. Once you have the opportunity to play, any thoughts you have on the rules would be appreciated.

Naharaht
10-31-2014, 19:36
Welcome to the Anchorage, Trevor. It is good to see you over here from the Aerodrome.

Sternchaser
11-01-2014, 00:12
Thanks for the welcome David, I still haven't taken the plunge but have noticed a local store has a couple of starters in stock, so I might dive in once a few sets have sold. I have to spena bit of money at Xens place next week, so maybe after that.