PDA

View Full Version : The Nelson Exhibit in Norwich

Naharaht
08-18-2014, 07:18
Last Monday and Friday (11th & 15th August) I went to demonstrate 'Sails of Glory' at the Nelson Exhibit in The Forum of The Millennium Library in Norwich. The Forum had contacted Ares Games and asked for a demonstration. Roberto Di Meglio from Ares contacted me because I live near Norwich and I had taken part in the Kickstarter campaign. Ares promised to send a banner, some demonstration materials and some prizes.

The second photograph is of a sculpture produced using some actual wood from H.M.S. Victory. The third shows a computer game, the fourth the Battle of the Nile, the fifth posters advertising the Nelson Museum in Great Yarmouth. On the previous Saturday that table was staffed and a group of Napoleonic re-enactors dressed as infantry soldiers in red uniforms and their ladies were present. There was also a video wall in an adjoining room showing videos about Nelson and some lunchtime talks were arranged.

The remaining pictures are of the Sails of Glory display. The cardboard 'coffee cups' had counters in them. What we did not have were dozens of interested people wanting to play. People came in small numbers, who looked at it and I outlined the game mechanics to some. They were generally impressed and they liked the quality of the models. Some thought that I had invented it, so I had to correct that idea. A few sounded interested in buying the game but the disappointing thing is that no shops in Norwich currently have any stock, so I had to cautiously refer them to the internet. On the Monday I was able to play a 'Breakout scenario' against one of the Forum staff, who had helped me to set up. The French took more damage but they managed to slip past the British and escape off the top end of the mat. Then he had to go do other work. Later in the day a young boy came and played for a while whilst his mother had a cup of coffee. We has a 1 v 1 ship encounter and he was winning until he sailed off the mat into entrance of the French port.

The last photograph shows the beginning of an encounter I started by myself. The British were attacking some French ships at anchor. Then two young boys came along and I let them take over the British ships. One was very young and his grandma took him to the cafe for a drink. The older one sailed his three-decker along the line of French ships exchanging fire and eventually collide with the French three-decker. He had the good sense not to try to board it because of crew losses and eventually had to surrender it because of crew casualties. He also managed to run his frigate aground on an island. Afterwards his grandmother came over and thanked me because he had enjoyed himself.

I was glad that Ares had sent some materials because I was wary of losing any of my equipment, if I had to put on the whole display by myself. I was also a little disappointed with what they sent because they apparently had not thought it out. They sent the banner and a starter set, which was good. They sent four more ships - two three-deckers with broken masts and two French frigates - not an even split. They sent an extra counters pack, a coastal fort pack and a shoals pack, which were good but they did not send any extra ship boards, so I had to photocopy some. I did take some ships of my own to balance out the frigates and in case more people wanted to play but they were not needed because people did not have the time to stay. The rubber 'Sails of Glory' mats were mine.

Was it worth doing? Yes, because some more people were introduced to the game; there may be some sales in the long run and we have gained some 'good will' with the Forum staff in Norwich. Also I enjoyed it although there were times when I was just standing around. There may be an opportunity to put on another display around next Easter when the Forum is holding a 'Games Week'.

Cmmdre
08-18-2014, 07:57
Awesome looking event David! You'll be Admiral of the fleet soon. :hatsoff:

Naharaht
08-18-2014, 08:35
Thank you for your kindness, Paul, but I think 'awesome' is a bit 'over the top'. The exhibit was not that big a thing.

Arakus
08-18-2014, 09:02
But its good to see that SGN is used in a historical event, i think this IS great! :thumbsup:

Nightmoss
08-18-2014, 09:04
Very cool! Great way to spread the word on Sails of Glory and some history of the Age of Sail at the same time. :hatsoff:

fredmiracle
08-18-2014, 10:32
It's great to have the opportunity to play and evangelize in an evocative and educational setting

Our local air museum does a gaming day every year, and although I don't generally do aerial gaming myself, I can attest that even the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal is more fun when played under the wing of an SR-71 :happy:

Good job! :salute:

Berthier
08-19-2014, 01:26
Looked like a very impressive set up David, great of you to step up and exhibit. There may be a medal for that :medal:

Diamondback
08-19-2014, 13:32
Too bad they couldn't send you an advance copy of Victory... that would have been THE time to show her off.

Naharaht
08-19-2014, 18:30
Too bad they couldn't send you an advance copy of Victory... that would have been THE time to show her off.

Yes, I was secretly hoping that Ares might send a pre-release copy of the Victory but it did not happen.

I do not think that I did enough to merit a medal, Daniel. It is not as though I ran games for dozens of school children or people at a convention, as some members have done.

Diamondback
08-19-2014, 18:33
True, but since the SGN108 sculpt IS Victory herself, any SGN108 product and a "pre-production" paper copy of the log would have done just as well. :)

Comte de Brueys
08-20-2014, 06:16
Thanks for your engagement David, to show the people SOG in a shopping mall. :thumbsup:

Naharaht
08-20-2014, 11:12
It is not actually a shopping mall. The building contains the public lending library, the 2nd American Air Division Memorial Library, a tourist information centre and gift shop, The Forum Heritage centre, an information centre for our local Further Education college, a Business Services Centre, a cafe and the local studios of the B.B.C. (British Broadcasting Corporation). It was built to commemorate the Millenium, which is why it is called The Millenium Library.

7eat51
08-21-2014, 16:24
David, cheers to you for taking the time and putting forth the effort to set up and run this exhibit. :hatsoff:

In terms of numbers, it might have been a bit disappointing to you, but as you said, those who engaged with you enjoyed themselves, and you created goodwill, something that could pay dividends in the future. If you choose to participate again in the spring, please let us know how things go.

7eat51
09-14-2014, 12:27
I was just on the Ares site, and David's work here is covered in a news story: http://www.aresgames.eu/13201

Nightmoss
09-14-2014, 18:55
I was just on the Ares site, and David's work here is covered in a news story: http://www.aresgames.eu/13201

Great work, David! :thumbsup:

Jack Tar
09-14-2014, 19:34
Nice job David! :thumbsup:
Very cool of you to do that. I think the coolest part of the whole setup is that you may have sparked an interest in this subject with some very young men.

well done!