PDA

View Full Version : Gen Con Sails of Glory Record Breaking Battle--2014

Nightmoss
08-14-2014, 16:30
Just a few photos of the record breaking event at Gen Con this morning. I believe we had at least 50 players maybe even 52. We were also very lucky in that the keeper ships were 1st Rates!! Lots of nice prizes for participation as well!!

Extra photos are not SoG, but there has been some discussion of this subject here.

Cheers!

7eat51
08-14-2014, 22:30
Congratulations on your participation, Jim. :salute:

Thanks for posting some pics.

Diamondback
08-14-2014, 23:11
OT: Jim, how big was that Victory-class Star Destroyer? FFG and SW are dead to me between the whole End of Nexus debacle, Jar Jar Binks and Jar Jar Abrams, but if I can find a deal on it I may have to pick up the Vic for my Star Destroyer collection.

Angiolillo
08-15-2014, 00:19
Hello and thanks a lot for the photos! So you took part in the battle? How long did it last?
Thanks again,

Andrea

Nightmoss
08-15-2014, 05:50
OT: Jim, how big was that Victory-class Star Destroyer? FFG and SW are dead to me between the whole End of Nexus debacle, Jar Jar Binks and Jar Jar Abrams, but if I can find a deal on it I may have to pick up the Vic for my Star Destroyer collection.

I'll get you some better measurement today. Trying for demo today.

Nightmoss
08-15-2014, 05:55
Hello and thanks a lot for the photos! So you took part in the battle? How long did it last?
Thanks again,

Andrea

We filled up the full two hour slot. Volunteers were great as always! We played with modified rules and I believe it was 14 turns. Thanks for all you do for us. Everyone also received a very nice certificate of participation.

Angiolillo
08-15-2014, 07:35
If anybody is waiting for a Victory class something, We just finished Captains Cards to be attached to Nelson's ship at Trafalgar. Coming soon.

Arakus
08-15-2014, 07:58
If anybody is waiting for a Victory class something, We just finished Captains Cards to be attached to Nelson's ship at Trafalgar. Coming soon.

I hope the HMS Victory and the USS Constitution are not only for kickstarter backers because i missed it.
So pls let this ships be buyable to all fans of the game.

Angiolillo
08-15-2014, 08:07
They will be available to everybody!

7eat51
08-15-2014, 09:49

This is good news.

Arakus
08-15-2014, 13:30

Wonderful info, thank you! :thumbsup:

Nightmoss
08-15-2014, 16:20

Very good news! Thanks.

Nightmoss
08-15-2014, 16:27
When passing by the Ares Booth today I overheard someone who was just sitting down to demo SoG ask, "Where's my pirate ship?" They were joking, but not entirely. That's when I'd wished I'd had the Black Pearl!! :sly:

Naharaht
08-17-2014, 12:16
Congratulations to all those who established the record.

Nightmoss
08-17-2014, 22:44
Having returned home now I can post up a few more photos with access to a faster computer and internet connection. I didn't record enough personal action on the ship I used to post this as an AAR, but I will try to share some additional detail about the big event.

First off as I mentioned above we used the 1st Rates and not the frigates. We all lined up to get a ship and were allowed to choose either French or British. Not surprisingly most of the first picks were for British and I was lucky enough to get the HMS Hibernia. As it finally worked out though there might have been more French than British once we started? Everyone got to keep the ship they were handed and fought with. We also learned that each 'captain' would receive a certificate indicating their participation in this event.

First was the set up; British on the right and French on the left. The wind was blowing towards me, straight down the length of the table.

To speed up the game the initial premise for every ship on the mat was that we all had been in a horrible storm taking major damage. Consequently we were told to block off the first four hull boxes.

We also learned at this point that we would not be drawing chits in the normal manner, but using a method to streamline and speed up the battles and resulting carnage.

Here is what I recall from the event (and I may have it partially wrong as I'm still recovering for four days of gaming):

Basically at Long Range A, a full broadside would automatically hit for one hull box of damage. A front or stern broadside would hit for 1/2 hull box damage. At short Range B a full broadside would hit for 2 hull damage boxes of damage and a front or stern arc broadside would hit for 1 hull box of damage. Needless to say this made for very fast and deadly confrontations between ships. But returning to the game was a free option if you wanted to and I know some folks even returned at different spots on the table, but still on their appropriate sides.

Here's Jim (standing on a chair) outlining some of what I've already mentioned above and that's Misdomingo in the foreground right side I believe?

We only used ball ammo, basic rules for all movement, although I think standard rules might have been used in some cases of folks being taken aback? Collision damage an automatic one hull damage if I recall correctly? And I don't think musketry fire was done, but I was so focused on my French counterpart and we never closed to that range in any case?

Here's another shot after the first turn? Ares volunteers were a great help in set up and rules explanation.

Personally I set up the Hibernia to take advantage of the wind and proceeded to move towards the left or downwind.

While I scored first blood on my French opponent my actual demise was an ignominious one, death by collision.

However, I had my revenge when I came back on the mat to return the favor on the very same French captain who had defeated me. We both enjoyed the exchange and then he started playing horrible French accented banter from Monty Python on his cell phone. Lots of fun in this game.

Ares handed out many cash coupons that could be used at their booth. I know there was one for first sinking/striking of colors, one for most defeats and one for most victories. Probably some others as well?
As I stated earlier we all got certificates with our names and the name of our ship printed by one of the Ares volunteers.

Finally after 14 turns the event was called and we all packed up our fancy 1st Rates and headed off to spend the rest of Gen Con gaming.

Thank you Ares and Ares volunteers for a great time and the opportunity to take part in a first Sails of Glory Record Breaker. I hope we see many more in the future, wherever that might occur?

Cheers!

Graver
09-16-2014, 18:58
I participated in the world record event at Gen Con and really enjoyed myself, much to my pocketbook's chagrin. I swore off buying SOG after collecting 60+ planes for WOG. The awarded coupons were my undoing. A starter set and 4 additional boats later....

kenji
09-16-2014, 19:03
Thank you for sharing Jim!

That was one long table! Did the players find it too narrow to effectively maneuver their ships.

Graver
09-16-2014, 19:10
As packed in as we were you did not have room for fancy maneuvering. You could not move more than a couple of inches before engaging an opponent. A handful of British ships held off a French armada on my end of the table. Plenty of action to go around!!

Nightmoss
09-16-2014, 19:19
With the modified rules and the close quarters it was very combat heavy and lots of fun!! If you were sunk/struck you just came back and had another go at someone else.

William, were you up at the top end where they initially handed out the ships or down at the end where most of these photos were taken? I hear from Jim (one of the Ares volunteers) that they'll be doing this every year at Gen Con. Looking forward to next year, which is a long time off.

Graver
09-16-2014, 19:32
On the end where the photos were taken. You can see my hand in one of the photos. It was a blast! Yeah, Ares is wanting to have a greater presence for SOG and WOG at Gen Con in the future. In fact, my friends and I were approached by the Ares reps, whom we have gotten to know from WOG events, about helping run games next year. I hope that opportunity comes to fruition! I love their games and would love the opportunity to introduce others to them.

Nightmoss
09-16-2014, 20:14
On the end where the photos were taken. You can see my hand in one of the photos. It was a blast! Yeah, Ares is wanting to have a greater presence for SOG and WOG at Gen Con in the future. In fact, my friends and I were approached by the Ares reps, whom we have gotten to know from WOG events, about helping run games next year. I hope that opportunity comes to fruition! I love their games and would love the opportunity to introduce others to them.

Yes, that's where I was too. Lots of carnage and fun at the very end of the table as I recall. I stayed focused on the two French right across from me. Great time for everyone.