PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Cádiz

jmkinki
08-06-2014, 15:25
Grretings,

I'm Jose Manuel, from Cádiz, Spain.

I'm a Sails of Glory fan, and I like other similar game series like Wings of War/Wings of Glory.

However I'm a definitively fan of solitaire wargames. I can play general strategy games with my wife and friends but I can't play wargames with them, so I used to play wargames in solitaire.

I've just registered becuase I have found at BGG game web page information about solo rules. I'm very interested in them so I have downloaded and I hope I can try them soon.

I hope I can continue writting here for many time and I can give something to this community.

Thank you!!

Best regards,

Jose Manuel

7eat51
08-07-2014, 08:56
Welcome aboard, Jose Manuel. :salute:

Let us know if you would like to join our solo campaign. We started last month, and many of us are behind in completing that scenario and starting this month's, so if you would like to be a part, your arrival would be timely. Contact me and we can take care of your captain roster.

Nightmoss
08-07-2014, 09:19
Greetings Jose Manuel. Welcome aboard the Anchorage! I think you'll find the solo rules are very good. As Eric suggested you should definitely join in the fun. :hatsoff:

Arakus
08-07-2014, 10:29
Welcome aboard, have fun!

When i see a spain SGN player i have a warm feeling, maybe because of Redcoat aka Julián and his awesome work!

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?2604-HMS-Spartiate-SOG-conversion

Coog
08-07-2014, 11:01
Welcome aboard Jose!

Naharaht
08-07-2014, 12:49
Welcome to the Anchorage, Jose Manuel. We are hoping that Ares Games will soon produce some Spanish ships.

David Manley
08-07-2014, 13:11
Welcome aboard :happy:

Arakus
08-07-2014, 13:23
Welcome to the Anchorage, Jose Manuel. We are hoping that Ares Games will soon produce some Spanish ships.

Yes, spanish ships for napoleonic naval warfare are a must!

jmkinki
08-07-2014, 16:06
Welcome aboard, Jose Manuel. :salute:

Let us know if you would like to join our solo campaign. We started last month, and many of us are behind in completing that scenario and starting this month's, so if you would like to be a part, your arrival would be timely. Contact me and we can take care of your captain roster.

Thank you captain for your offer. However I'm a newbie with SoG, and now I have at my table the classic Avalon Hill's Raid on St.Nazaire, and I'm learning Paths of Glory in solitaire following solo rules made by a spanish partner. I hope in 1-2 months, when I receive my Wave 2 ships, I'm ready to sail!!

However I'm very interested in all solo rules so, I probably have a look to your rules, and whether you give permission I'll probably translated them into Spanish language.

Thank you!

jmkinki
08-07-2014, 16:19
Thank you for all your wellcome messages.

As you said I found very interesting your solo rules, and I hope Ares Games take in account our wishes and soon we can get Spanish ships at SoG.

I have received a message from Redcoat too. I'm going to answer him as soon as possible.

David, what a surprise! Nice to meet you here too.

Diamondback
08-07-2014, 16:43
Welcome aboard!

Pappy Liam
08-08-2014, 16:11
Ahoy, I'm new as of today as well. I am in San Francisco. Just tried out the game last weekend .
We had a blast. I have been waiting for this for some time and so glad to see it.
Looking forward to the American Frigates!
Fair winds and a following sea.

Gunner
08-08-2014, 21:12
Welcome:beer: from Arizona, Jose.

Berthier
08-09-2014, 05:31
Welcome Jose Manuel. Paths of Glory is a wonderful game, some say it doesn't model history well but the thematic feel of WW1 is excellent and the agony of decision making each turn makes it very tense. Raid on St Nazaire I played maybe 25 years ago, nice solitaire game from AH. If you play predominently solitaire then other wargames that are perfect for this are RAF, most of the Standard Combat Seres from MMP and in naval battles some of the Ironclads scenarios work well especially where the US fleet must pass fortified positions. Victory Point Games do a whole series of compact solo games as well.

Have a look at Jim's (Nightmoss) remodelling of L'Orient into Santisima Trinidad, it is awesome.
http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?2631-My-Latest-Project

Comte de Brueys
08-09-2014, 06:19
Bonjour, Jose Manuel.

Welcome on board. :beer:

Jack Aubrey
08-09-2014, 08:03
welcome, wilkommen Jose Manuel :salute:

Cmmdre
08-09-2014, 08:14
Welcome to Anchorage Jose Manuel. :salute:

jmkinki
08-09-2014, 12:14
Thank you all for your messages.

Welcome Jose Manuel. Paths of Glory is a wonderful game, some say it doesn't model history well but the thematic feel of WW1 is excellent and the agony of decision making each turn makes it very tense. Raid on St Nazaire I played maybe 25 years ago, nice solitaire game from AH. If you play predominently solitaire then other wargames that are perfect for this are RAF, most of the Standard Combat Seres from MMP and in naval battles some of the Ironclads scenarios work well especially where the US fleet must pass fortified positions. Victory Point Games do a whole series of compact solo games as well.

Have a look at Jim's (Nightmoss) remodelling of L'Orient into Santisima Trinidad, it is awesome.
http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?2631-My-Latest-Project

Thank you Daniel.

I'm a fan of solitaire wargames. I love classic Ambush, B-17, and Carrier solo wargames. I have played RAF too. I have made a redesign and translation into spanish of Carrier (complete game) and RAF only counters.

I wish Ares Games doesn't forget Spanish navy, and perhaps any day we can find a special pack called Santíssima Trinidad. I think it was an special ship in that time. It wasn't a good design or an excelent ship but it was so famous and important, as for example at WW2 was british HMS Hood.

Arakus
08-09-2014, 12:33
I am sure they will add the Santíssima Trinidad as a special ship, there was no other ship in this type, same as for victory so it should be this way.

There are interesting ships in the spanish navy of this time, the 112 gun ships like the Santa Ana Class for example.
Then they could/should add more of the american ships, the russian would also be fine.
Denmark and sweden will also be great to simulate the baltic see battles.

Also they can also expend the game with the Anglo Dutch war ships, the ships of this time will look different ( more galeon like with much more gold etc. ) but the game mechanic can be the same.
Here are some pictures from langton ships of this time made by "Model J" / Redcoat / Julián: ( http://modeljship.com/en/ )

I am awed every time i see how good his models are!

So there are much options for the future of the game.
But i think its important they don't wait to long to add stuff so player move to another game when no addons came in descent time.

7eat51
08-09-2014, 23:00
Thank you captain for your offer. However I'm a newbie with SoG, and now I have at my table the classic Avalon Hill's Raid on St.Nazaire, and I'm learning Paths of Glory in solitaire following solo rules made by a spanish partner. I hope in 1-2 months, when I receive my Wave 2 ships, I'm ready to sail!!

However I'm very interested in all solo rules so, I probably have a look to your rules, and whether you give permission I'll probably translated them into Spanish language.

Thank you!

Every time I went for St. Nazaire, I have been outbid. One day I'll win on the ebay battlefield.

GMT is coming out with several solitaire games. I highly suggest checking out their website.

We will be working on a second set of solo rules, adding to the basic set. We will start a three-month play testing campaign in October.

If you translate any of the rulesets we develop (i.e. not Ares' officials rules but our home-brewed ones) into Spanish, please upload them here as a file. They would be great resources for folks.

jmkinki
08-10-2014, 02:51
I am sure they will add the Santíssima Trinidad as a special ship, there was no other ship in this type, same as for victory so it should be this way.

There are interesting ships in the spanish navy of this time, the 112 gun ships like the Santa Ana Class for example.
Then they could/should add more of the american ships, the russian would also be fine.
Denmark and sweden will also be great to simulate the baltic see battles.

Also they can also expend the game with the Anglo Dutch war ships, the ships of this time will look different ( more galeon like with much more gold etc. ) but the game mechanic can be the same.
Here are some pictures from langton ships of this time made by "Model J" / Redcoat / Julián: ( http://modeljship.com/en/ )

I am awed every time i see how good his models are!

So there are much options for the future of the game.
But i think its important they don't wait to long to add stuff so player move to another game when no addons came in descent time.

:shock:

What wonderfull models!!

I think that expand the game to XVII centery and first half of XVIII century could have very beatiful ships...

jmkinki
08-10-2014, 02:59
Every time I went for St. Nazaire, I have been outbid. One day I'll win on the ebay battlefield.

GMT is coming out with several solitaire games. I highly suggest checking out their website.

We will be working on a second set of solo rules, adding to the basic set. We will start a three-month play testing campaign in October.

If you translate any of the rulesets we develop (i.e. not Ares' officials rules but our home-brewed ones) into Spanish, please upload them here as a file. They would be great resources for folks.

Thank you Eric. I'm very interested in that rules. Several years ago, I developed a solo rules for WoW using as base an existing solo game rules. I have added more options to AI (different tables according to plane attitude (aggresive-defensive)), and making tables for almost all deck manoeuvres. It is in Spanish language, but whether you are interested I can share it with you. In fact I have written to Fred (fredmiracle) regarding to these subjects. I'm still have to write him to give more details about some ideas. I'm very interested in take part at that play testing campaign. I hope that at that time I'm ready for it.

Now I'm taking part in play test of other solitaire game from Legion Wargames. I hope I can finish soon. I'm usually check GMT games web page becuase they make good solitaires... almost as good as John Butterfield's games :happy:

7eat51
08-10-2014, 08:27
Jose Manuel, we will have a forum for discussing the next round of rules, so anytime you desire, feel free to chime in.

I would very much like to see your AI rules. Between friends, my rusty Spanish, and translation tools, getting the gist of them is not too difficult.

One thing I have read often lately is how some planes behaved differently at different altitudes. I have thought about house rules that would provide a simple bonus/penalty mechanism for various altitude bands - nothing too complex, but something that would provide a little flavor. There might be some such rules already, so it would probably be beneficial to explore the 'Drome's files first.

I will PM you my email address. Thanks.

Pappy Liam
08-10-2014, 11:50
From my old Ground school texts: The breaks for elevation are ground to 3k feet and 3k to 10k (above which you need supplemental air) , 10k to 30k Pressurized cabins or significant breathing and clothing requirement) and 30k and above (pressurization is pretty much a must). This complicates the aircraft and more of the weight and interior are required for keeping the crew alive. Airliners us above 30k since it is generally smoother and their engines are more efficient at cruize. Also it is above most flack or SAMs for combat, but that ,as we saw recently is not always the case.

David Manley
08-10-2014, 12:43

I hope you are successful one day. It is an awesomely brilliant game.

Did you know there was also a Pegasus Bridge game using the same mechanics published in S&T many years ago? I've had as much playing that as the original :)

7eat51
08-10-2014, 13:28

Did you know there was also a Pegasus Bridge game using the same mechanics published in S&T many years ago? I've had as much playing that as the original :)

Thank you, David. Whenever I secure a copy, I will let you know how my first play goes.

I am not familiar with the Pegasus Bridge game. I do know of Storm Over Arnhem (AH).

As much as I appreciate the new designs in GMT games and the like, there is something comforting/comfortable about playing the AH/SPI games. They are like old friends.

Berthier
08-11-2014, 06:34
As much as I appreciate the new designs in GMT games and the like, there is something comforting/comfortable about playing the AH/SPI games. They are like old friends.

Absolutely agree, their entry barrier was minimal in complexity and even cost but the playability was excellent and the history "often"not bad as well. I have a complete collection of SPI unpunched games missing only two items, one of which I do have punched. Anyone have a copy of "Conflicts in American History" by SPI, PM me and I'll make a generous offer :wink:

7eat51
08-11-2014, 07:50
Absolutely agree, their entry barrier was minimal in complexity and even cost but the playability was excellent and the history "often"not bad as well. I have a complete collection of SPI unpunched games missing only two items, one of which I do have punched. Anyone have a copy of "Conflicts in American History" by SPI, PM me and I'll make a generous offer :wink:

That is quite the collection. How have you kept these unpunched throughout the years?

One of my favorite SPI games was The Battle for Cassino. I need to dig that out again. It was one of the games I gave away when I parted with my war-game collection, only to purchase again on ebay when I started gaming a couple of years ago. How I wish I kept my original collection. Live and learn.

Pappy Liam
08-11-2014, 09:10
Here is you chance:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/item/613253

Berthier
08-12-2014, 04:33
That is quite the collection. How have you kept these unpunched throughout the years?

No I started wargaming with SPI in 1973 (40 years....) sold many off but later started rebuying many of my favourites, then started "collecting" unpunched copies and things got a bit out of hand :happy: So there's around 450 items of wargames and various SPI magazine publications with just the missing game listed above and an unpunched copy of Napoleon at Waterloo first edition of all things. There's lots of second editions published the same year (1971) but getting a first is proving tricky. What I didn't get into was collecting one of every format they published games in. SPI would publish some games as folios, then in a box and or a flat tray, then as a designer's edition with mounted mapboard etc...I wouldn't even know how many variants of packaging they used as they also published different boxes in te UK under their SIMPUB banner and even had some foreign language editions.

The "Conflicts in American History" is so difficult to find as it was produced to be used as a teaching aide in classrooms. It came in a large soapbox style box, had six copies of two of the Blue and Grey quad games in (Antietam and another I forget which) plus a bunch of teaching guides for classroom use. So the majority have long since been discarded to recycling probably thirty+ years ago and I've never seen a complete copy on ebay in 15 years and only 1 incomplete copy.

7eat51
08-12-2014, 07:59
Wow - that is quite the collection.

I hope you can find the remaining games you desire.

With the latest series of WoG planes, I thought I had turned a corner on having to have one of each plane. Though now that I am transferring planes from their boxes to the plastic storage containers I picked up from Jo-Ann's, I feel the temptation to grab the remaining planes a bit more - much easier to store, retrieve, and transport, and less storage space is required. The question I am wrestling with as well, though, is how probable is it that the planes will actually see the table. Now that I am contemplating picking up X-Wing (I think it could be easier getting new folks to the table given the theme), I am facing the tradeoff question on game purchases.

jmkinki
08-12-2014, 15:45
I started at this hobby about 1990 with 15-18 years, and I started with Avalon Hill games: Third Reich, War and Peace or Civilization. So I lose SPI games and their time period.

I started to play wargames in solitaire in 2006, and after that I try both new games and classic solitaire Avalon Hilll and Victory Games.

Regarding to WoW/WoG, I have collected WoW WW1 planes series. I have almost 1 reference for each model... and it's enoguh for me. However regarding to WW2 planes series, I've just start my collection, and I'm going to have a lot of problems to get old references like Hurricane, Stuka, Wildcat,.... It's the same for me that Axis&Allies War at sea... I started my collection late, and although I have a good European Navys collection, I wanted to start a Japanese theater collection but they are too expensive!!

Best regards,

Jose Manuel

Capn Duff
08-15-2014, 02:35
A belated welcome to you Jose, from Bristol UK

jmkinki
08-15-2014, 02:51
Thank you Chris!

jmkinki
08-19-2014, 15:18
A nice day at an historic place: Trafalgar lighthouse, at only 40 minutes from home.

Nightmoss
08-19-2014, 15:23
Nice photo! Thanks. :thumbsup:

Pappy Liam
08-19-2014, 15:32
I think there has been an increase in the interest of table top games. I am glad to see the quality has gotten so much better. I hope some day we will be 3d printing or using some kind of 3d table projection. I started with Oger by Steve Jackson and a few Avilon Hill games back in the 70's I loved playing Mustangs and Messerschmitts at Cons for years but never bought the models. I move into RPGs and computer games and now I am back to table tops.

7eat51
08-21-2014, 16:42
Lovely scenery, Jose Manuel.

I don't want to think about the food you have available there. I hope one day Sue and I can take a little culinary tour of Spain. We have enjoyed all our dining at a Spanish restaurant back home in Chicago, but I know it in no way compares.

Pappy Liam
08-21-2014, 22:10
I too want to visit Espania! I was very sad when El Bullli closed. But there is still hope...
http://www.pri.org/stories/2013-05-10/famed-spanish-restaurant-el-bulli-reopens-foundation-and-food-lab

jmkinki
08-22-2014, 02:35
Spain is a nice place to visit :beer:

And food is very good here.

Recently I have bought a Ferran Adria book for my wife as a present.

I hope you can visit us. Whether you can visit Spain, do not hesitate to ask for me. I can suggest best places you can visit!

7eat51
08-22-2014, 12:34
I too want to visit Espania! I was very sad when El Bullli closed. But there is still hope...
http://www.pri.org/stories/2013-05-10/famed-spanish-restaurant-el-bulli-reopens-foundation-and-food-lab

Having just read the article, I weep with you.

I hope you can visit us. Whether you can visit Spain, do not hesitate to ask for me. I can suggest best places you can visit!

If we have the pleasure of visiting Spain, it would be a greater pleasure to dine with you.

jmkinki
08-23-2014, 02:45
Thank you!

And don't worry, you always can eat at El Celler de Can Roca the best restaurant in 2013 and the 2nd best restaurant in 2014.

http://cellercanroca.com/index.htm

7eat51
08-23-2014, 07:14
Thank you!

And don't worry, you always can eat at El Celler de Can Roca the best restaurant in 2013 and the 2nd best restaurant in 2014.

http://cellercanroca.com/index.htm

Beautiful!

A year ago last spring, Sue and I took several students back home for a week trip to explore beauty through food, film, architecture, and art. Part of the trip focused on gaining a better perspective toward food and dining. For a generation and culture that views food simply as food and eating as simply as filling up the tank, our time together was quite revolutionary for them. Our first experience was sitting at a Spanish restaurant for hours eating tapas, bread, etc. No cell phones, no text messaging, no iPods - just eating and talking. For them, it was a religious experience. They never tasted the flavors, never ate slowly and deliberately, never sat at a dining table for hours sharing time together in which everyone was fully present. That was how each day was structured - a whole week of being unplugged and being together, deliberately. At the end of the week, we were sitting having our last meal together, one which we prepared together. One of the students mentioned how much sitting at a table experiencing what we were experiencing would be missed. I said it doesn't have to be.

I hope one day we regain the belief that quality is not synonymous with quantity.

Thank you for the link, Jose Manuel. It was a nice way to start the morning.

Pappy Liam
08-23-2014, 18:18
That would be wonderful.

7eat51
12-09-2014, 00:28

I finally got Raid on St. Nazaire. A gentleman on Boardgamegeek was willing to do a trade. It should be here by week's end.

I promptly ordered a few books on the raid from amazon an hour ago.

Broadsword56
12-09-2014, 10:18
In this salty company I'm surprised to see no mention of Tokyo Express (Victory Games, 1986), the solo naval wargame par excellence. Its AI battle map mechanism for maneuvering the enemy ships is so good that some AoS gamers have adapted it and still use it with games like SPI's Frigate.
The map is similar in nature to the SGN solo maneuver die chart that some here are using -- except imagine that the enemy heading, speed, and maneuver on given dieolls are printed on various hexes of the map, in relation to your "reference ship" at the center.

7eat51
12-09-2014, 10:38
I picked up Tokyo Express not too long ago; it is in queue to be played. I will let you know how it goes.

Pappy Liam
12-09-2014, 12:33
Let us know what you think.

7eat51
12-09-2014, 18:25
Let us know what you think.

Will do. I will play Raid on St. Nazaire first, though. I have been waiting for that one for quite awhile. During the past month, a friend and I have been outbid on ebay every time the game was offered. Again, I am grateful to the gentleman on BGG who was willing to make a trade. I sent him a new copy of 1944: Race to the Rhine. It has an interesting premise - maybe some fodder for our solo campaign scenario generation.

1944 Race to the Rhine - http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/148601/1944-race-rhine

From the product description on BGG:

Not enough gas, not enough ammo or not enough time. Not enough to cross the Rhine before the enemy closes all the gaps. You need to form the bridgehead before others do. That’s the only way to Victory and your personal glory.

1944 Race to the Rhine is a new game experience. You can’t win this game without proper planning. Your tanks need gas to move and ammo to fight. But don’t forget to feed your GIs. So what would be your transport priority?

Will you follow General Patton’s strategy to discard ammo in order to bring additional fuel barrels along to move boldly forward? Would you risk your prestige and gamble on Market-Garden as Field Marshal Montgomery did? Would you cross the Rhine more quickly than General Bradley did, with the help of your hard work and a little luck?

“In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable” (General Dwight D. Eisenhower, Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces in Europe).

So, how are you planning your Victory?

The game is based on historical events of the year 1944. Players, in the roles of Allied commanders, take part in a true race to the Rhine. Whoever reaches the river first, wins the game and ends World War II before Christmas. But time is short, since the Axis defense is getting stronger and stronger, and the window of opportunity may not be opened for long.

Each player controls three or four Corps, and players move in turns. During each turn, players may take two actions: move their Corps (and fight a battle, if they encounter Axis troops!), get supplies, get transport trucks, and make use of their air supremacy. Cross the Rhine river first, and you win. Each of these Corps needs:
gas, to move,
ammo, to fight Axis units met along the way,
food, to prevent soldiers from starving.
Players must not only play the role of commander, but also of quartermaster in order to reach the Rhine before the others. During their march, players' Corps gain help from the French Resistance movement, find abandoned Axis supplies, and meet crowds of civilians who may be celebrating the liberation — or might just demand food to feed the hungry.

Will you use your transport capacity to send fuel to make your Corps move faster, or will you transport ammo to help them win against Axis troops met along the way? Will you lead like Patton and bend all the safety rules, or like Monty to make slow but certain progress? And don't forget about food for your soldiers, because if the supply check comes, it will be too late... Keep in mind that your situation will only get worse as the Axis defense will become stronger with each mile you advance toward the Rhine.

7eat51
12-10-2014, 14:18
My Precious has arrived - Raid on St. Nazaire.

To read along with the game, I ordered:

St. Nazaire Commando by Stuart Chant-Sempill

Storming St. Nazaire: The Dock Busting Raid of 1942 by James Dorrian (Author)

St Nazaire Raid: Operation CHARIOT - 1942 French Coast (Battleground Europe) by James Dorrian - Kindle edition

amazon.com is wonderful.