PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Flag From Trafalgar

Nightmoss
08-02-2014, 11:22
Found this link while searching for information on naval painting schemes. This particular flag was a trophy from the Battle of Trafalgar. It was also displayed at Nelson's funeral. I knew the naval ensigns were large, but this really puts their size into perspective!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/booknews/9883106/Museums-hidden-treasures.html

Naharaht
08-02-2014, 14:31
That is amazingly large.

7eat51
08-03-2014, 06:18
She is quite large.

It's a bit strange to think she is stored in a cardboard box on a shelf. Makes one wonder what else is lying in storage at museums.

Nightmoss
08-03-2014, 09:51
She is quite large.

It's a bit strange to think she is stored in a cardboard box on a shelf. Makes one wonder what else is lying in storage at museums.

Having worked for libraries and archives for over 30 years you'd be amazed at just how much 'undiscovered' material is sitting in storage!

Cmmdre
08-03-2014, 10:32
Final scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark comes to mind. :smack:

7eat51
08-03-2014, 10:43
Having worked for libraries and archives for over 30 years you'd be amazed at just how much 'undiscovered' material is sitting in storage!

Or parents' basements.

I am amazed at how much stuff we tend to keep, thinking one day we'll …

At least with libraries and museums, there is a legitimate reason to store items. It is sad, though, that more do not go on display.

csadn
08-03-2014, 15:45
Final scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark comes to mind. :smack:

Or any _Call of Cthulhu_ adventure.

"THEY LEFT *WHAT* LYING AROUND IN A CLOSET FOR 200 YEARS!?"

Diamondback
08-03-2014, 21:06
She is quite large.

Ever watch Mysteries at the Museum on Travel Channel, Eric? Makes me wish Scripps Networks hadn't lodged their cranium deep up their rectum and pulled out of the DVD market... they ruined Good Eats that way too.

7eat51
08-03-2014, 21:44
Ever watch Mysteries at the Museum on Travel Channel, Eric? Makes me wish Scripps Networks hadn't lodged their cranium deep up their rectum and pulled out of the DVD market... they ruined Good Eats that way too.

Hey DB,

Not sure about the Good Eats comment. Did the company not put all of the episodes on disc?

Diamondback
08-03-2014, 21:46
Eric, they only got two seasons into the by-season-format release before pulling the plug. The old "Takeout Collection" organized-by-subject format, well, good LUCK finding 'em all... O.O

Berthier
08-04-2014, 05:15
Jim, your a wonder at finding the best stuff!!!