PDA

View Full Version : August Scenario for Solo Campaign: Treasure Islands

Nightmoss
07-31-2014, 14:05
Watch this space for the August Solo Scenario. . . coming soon! :cannonboom:

CSherrange
07-31-2014, 20:42
Nice, will there be a Carlton heston playing Long John Silver......????

Berthier
08-02-2014, 06:29
Looking forward to this Jim, a chance for some regaining of pride perhaps by my French!

Nightmoss
08-02-2014, 09:02
Looking forward to this Jim, a chance for some regaining of pride perhaps by my French!

Still working on a couple of aspects of the scenario. Hopefully it will be out in the next few days? Cheers and best of luck for the French!

Jack Aubrey
08-04-2014, 02:40
Arrgh, that`s a scenario my me n( Vitalienbrüder) like most.... :happy:

Nightmoss
08-04-2014, 20:11
First off I'd like to extend a big thank you to Eric (7eat51) and Fred (fredmiracle) for their assistance in working on this scenario. Their advice really helped a great deal!

I can't recall ever writing a game scenario before and I've learned that doing one well is not that easy?! I've probably play tested this one at least a dozen times now and each game has been different. So, it's time for the real test, which is going to be when you all take it for a spin.

I wanted to try something that wasn't just a straight up ship to ship battle and with some last minute suggestions I think you'll find it fast, maybe furious and hopefully fun?

So my last thought (or disclaimer), is I'm more comfortable as a modeler not a game designer. :wink:

Cheers!

Nightmoss
08-04-2014, 20:12
[Reserved for clarifications, etc.]

1. All the slides, including a larger one with the specific mat dimensions have been uploaded to an album on my profile page.
2. When the AI captain is focused on recovering a treasure that chit/counter and spot on the map becomes the player ship for plotting the AI maneuver cards.
3. From my notes: If at the end of any turn the player captain and the AI captain are competing to 'search' the same uncovered counter the player wins the tie.
4. If a treasure marker is the AIs target, how do you determine it's facing towards the AI ship? A: The treasure markers 'as a ship' should be facing away from you.
5. If you roll for the AI Frigate to go for a treasure it will always head for the closest treasure and it will stay on that target until it searches it (or it is denied the treasure if you search it first).
6. What happens if the player flips a treasure marker currently targeted for by the AI? Does it roll again for intent? A: Yes, you would re-roll intent if you're denied the treasure target while heading towards it.
7. Ability Point Award Clarification: If you recover 1 to 3 treasures and get off the mat by the end of Turn 15 you will get One Ability Point.

7eat51
08-05-2014, 04:54
Thank you for all your effort in this, Jim. It will make for some interesting and enjoyable plays. :hatsoff:

Berthier
08-05-2014, 07:06
Wow Jim looks like a challenging scenario. My French captains remain in port shaking from their last performance but a new captain will sail to seek fame and fortune and hopefully avoid too much shame this time!

Uthoroc
08-05-2014, 08:22
Sounds really intriguing, I'm looking forward to trying it.

Quick question: When the rules say the AI sails towards the nearest treasure point, that means they treat the counter as the "enemy ship" in the maneuver selection? Or do they detemine their manuever differently?

Nightmoss
08-05-2014, 08:49
Sounds really intriguing, I'm looking forward to trying it.

Quick question: When the rules say the AI sails towards the nearest treasure point, that means they treat the counter as the "enemy ship" in the maneuver selection? Or do they detemine their manuever differently?

Yes, Ralf. The nearest treasure becomes the "enemy ship" for plotting movement. Good point, which I'll put up in the clarification section.

Oh, and by the way, congrats your Facebook recognition from Ares on your excellent AAR. https://www.facebook.com/SailsOfGlory

spiessbuerger
08-05-2014, 18:53
Very interesting scenario and nice story tie to the previous scenario. Thanks Jim.

And good luck for you and your french captains, Daniel :wink:

fredmiracle
08-12-2014, 17:55
I FINALLY got around to playing my July scenario :drinks: so after getting that AAR prepared I'll be ready to ship out for the treasure islands. Thanks for the hard work Jim!

Nightmoss
08-12-2014, 18:36
I FINALLY got around to playing my July scenario :drinks: so after getting that AAR prepared I'll be ready to ship out for the treasure islands. Thanks for the hard work Jim!

We can play our own scenario!?! I just took everything down and put it away as I'm leaving for Gen Con tomorrow! Damn! That's OK after playing it as many times as I have I can maybe wait or pass on it.

I hope you find it mildly entertaining. Writing scenarios is an art I've learned.

fredmiracle
08-13-2014, 00:30
We can play our own scenario!?!

Um, well... I hope so! :wink:

actually I was pretty bored of mine on July 1, but after 6 weeks it was fun to dust it off again. Maybe you should play yours in mid September...

Nightmoss
08-13-2014, 13:56
Um, well... I hope so! :wink:

actually I was pretty bored of mine on July 1, but after 6 weeks it was fun to dust it off again. Maybe you should play yours in mid September...

Good idea.

fredmiracle
08-14-2014, 01:47
quick question--I haven't layed out the map yet to see if this can actually happen, but what if a ship is within range of two sites--can it search both in the same turn, or does it have to pick one or the other?

spiessbuerger
08-14-2014, 10:45
quick question--I haven't layed out the map yet to see if this can actually happen, but what if a ship is within range of two sites--can it search both in the same turn, or does it have to pick one or the other?

don't know if that ever happen...
In advanced rules I would use it as an action. (so if you have enough crew men you can search for more than one treasure)
But it's recommended to play this scenario with basic rules and I think both ways are discussable then. But I would prefer to pick only one treasure per turn.

7eat51
08-14-2014, 22:38
I am not speaking for Jim, but I think the spirit of the scenario would be to explore each site one-at-a-time. If I find myself in this situation, that is how I will play it.

Jim has the final say, though, so if he intended more than one in a given turn, then I will follow orders accordingly.

Nightmoss
08-15-2014, 07:15
don't know if that ever happen...
In advanced rules I would use it as an action. (so if you have enough crew men you can search for more than one treasure)
But it's recommended to play this scenario with basic rules and I think both ways are discussable then. But I would prefer to pick only one treasure per turn.

You are allowed to search one site per turn. The main idea is to increase the tension and competition with the other ship.

Nightmoss
08-15-2014, 07:16
I am not speaking for Jim, but I think the spirit of the scenario would be to explore each site one-at-a-time. If I find myself in this situation, that is how I will play it.

Jim has the final say, though, so if he intended more than one in a given turn, then I will follow orders accordingly.

Exactly so, Eric.

Comte de Brueys
08-17-2014, 05:41
I bought the "Terrain Pack: Coasts and Shoals" for this sceanrio yesterday (12,99 €).

Sometimes you need a little reason to spend money on the SoG stuff.

:cheezy:

Nightmoss
08-17-2014, 05:57
I bought the "Terrain Pack: Coasts and Shoals" for this sceanrio yesterday (12,99 €).

Sometimes you need a little reason to spend money on the SoG stuff.

:cheezy:

Yes, l've used that excuse before myself. :happy: I wish you luck in the scenario.

Union Jack
11-23-2014, 10:30
Planning to have a bash at this tomorrow.

Union Jack
11-29-2014, 17:23
Bit of a delay, a little thing called work has gotten in the way, and swmbo, and the kids are all coming home for Christmas so I know what I'm painting for the next couple of weeks.

Nightmoss
11-29-2014, 23:46
Bit of a delay, a little thing called work has gotten in the way, and swmbo, and the kids are all coming home for Christmas so I know what I'm painting for the next couple of weeks.

Not to worry. I expect everyone is delayed by real life this time of year. It seems likely that future solo scenarios and maybe the new campaign will be moved further into 2015 as well? That could be an advantage if we do in fact get some Spanish ships in the Wave 1 reprint or the Victory and Constitution show up early?

Union Jack
11-30-2014, 03:44
I'll get the game in before xmas, I have 1, yes 1, day for myself between now and then.