PDA

View Full Version : AAR: Battle of Cape Ortegal (Strachan's Action) Historicon

DeRuyter
07-30-2014, 14:53
I ran this scenario at Historicon in Fredericksburg Va on 7/17/14. I modified the one in Ares historical scenario book, using Wiki and a scenario from "Fire As She Bears". Basically I abstracted the frigates and had 8 SOL in action for 8 players. I initially had 7 show up and then added another later, which worked out because the last British ship in line was delayed by 3+ turns. Additionally all of the British had Captain/Crew abilities and the French flagship had the poor gunners rule. I used all the Advanced rules. I'll upload the scenario to the files section. The scenario starts when the French admiral realizes that he can't escape and forms line of battle. The British squadron approaches from windward. Here is some background:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cape_Ortegal

Unfortunately for the British a gap developed in their line, which was brilliantly exploited by the lead French captain (who has posted his SoG experience in a separate thread). In anticipation he double shotted both broadsides and then cut the British line firing both as he went by. This was not without risk as I was playing a house rule that DB shot range is the same as grape/chain. The lead British ship (Hero), which had taken some damage already struck, followed shortly afterwards by the second one after taking more hits from other French broadsides.

I was given prizes by Cotton Jim's Flags (http://cottonjim.mybigcommerce.com/) a vendor who sells SOG/WOG at the HMGS conventions - a sloop model for each player.

After the game I polled some of the players about the use of the ship mats and chits versus using a written log. Most liked the chit damage system, however the crew action chits were hard to keep track of, especially because of the small drawings. Also there was a comment about tracking damage, in that it would be easier to have a check box for each point of damage a ship took. So the results were mixed on the use of the ship mats vs. a log.

Here are the photos:

The French on the left sail to cut the range to the British fleet bearing down from windward.
The first shots (no initial broadside rule)

More broadsides as the fleet converge. One of the French ships is caught in irons and gets raked. Things are looking good for the British for now.....

The devastating double shotted broadside. The French ship had to time this perfectly because she is also taken aback at this point. I only had time to paint the spars and wash the sails on 2 of the British ships, of course the two that get plastered.

More shots on the same turn.

And now the collisions! The second British ship strikes before the Boarding action.
Final fleet positions
The prizes

Eric

Coog
07-30-2014, 15:03
Looks like you ran a very good game with great prizes. How many experienced and new players were there and did any of the new players say anything about getting into the game. I'm sure everyone getting ships as a prize to start them out couldn't have hurt.

7eat51
07-30-2014, 22:21
Well done, Eric. :hatsoff:

How long of a game slot did you have? Did you have to do much teaching?

Nightmoss
07-30-2014, 22:54
Thanks Eric for the enjoyable AAR. It was incredibly nice of Cotton Jim's Flags to donate sloops as prizes too! :hatsoff:

DeRuyter
07-31-2014, 12:05
Looks like you ran a very good game with great prizes. How many experienced and new players were there and did any of the new players say anything about getting into the game. I'm sure everyone getting ships as a prize to start them out couldn't have hurt.

I had 1 player who had a starter set and played before, other than that all new to SoG. At least one player went and bought a starter set after the game. He has also joined the forum and posted about his experience in a separate thread (I can't recall his name at the moment). He was the captain who pulled off the double shotted broadside.

I had another gentleman, Don Smith, who stopped by with his scratch built Santissima Trinidad (He used 2 74s I believe). I should have taken pictures, but he does visit the Anchorage so maybe he'll post them!

DeRuyter
07-31-2014, 12:09
Well done, Eric. :hatsoff:

How long of a game slot did you have? Did you have to do much teaching?

Game slot was 4 hours. I did spend a fair amount of time teaching since I was using advanced rules, maybe 30-40 minutes. Game time was a little over 3 hours because we finished just before the 11 PM time slot ending.

7eat51
07-31-2014, 23:00
Eric, I am impressed you pulled off such a game with new players. Do you know if they had much experience with AoS? I ask because I am wondering how easy SoG is for people without any AoS gaming experience, especially when using some of the more advanced rules.

At Origins, we had 2- and 3-hour slots. Next year, we'll have to explore to what extent we can use advanced rules in 3 hours, and effectively play through the story. I have played some con games in which we only got through a couple of turns, so we never realized the scenario, if you will; that is something I want to avoid.

Cmmdre
08-01-2014, 06:42
Excellent AAR Eric. Cool prizes too.

DeRuyter
08-01-2014, 11:33
Eric, I am impressed you pulled off such a game with new players. Do you know if they had much experience with AoS? I ask because I am wondering how easy SoG is for people without any AoS gaming experience, especially when using some of the more advanced rules.

At Origins, we had 2- and 3-hour slots. Next year, we'll have to explore to what extent we can use advanced rules in 3 hours, and effectively play through the story. I have played some con games in which we only got through a couple of turns, so we never realized the scenario, if you will; that is something I want to avoid.

If I recall some had AoS experience. Keep in mind that Historicon is primarily a historical miniatures convention, so most players have that background vs. a more boardgame or sci-fi oriented crowd.

Hamiton
08-04-2014, 16:43
Hello Eric: My Spainish 130 was made from 2 French 118, I've Just posted some pictures on SOG yahoo group. Did you get anything on damage dice for SOG still not sure which game system to use a modified SOG or a modified Trafalgar rules maybe both. I noticed you didn't mention your gun fire smoke with led lights which was very interesting. Don
Ps Just added some photo's on my Album

Nightmoss
08-04-2014, 19:00
Hello Eric: My Spainish 130 was made from 2 French 118, I've Just posted some pictures on SOG yahoo group. Did you get anything on damage dice for SOG still not sure which game system to use a modified SOG or a modified Trafalgar rules maybe both. I noticed you didn't mention your gun fire smoke with led lights which was very interesting. Don

Donald I just saw your Santisima Trinidad. I like! Did you actually cut down one of the 118's and then stack the two decks? Pretty slick idea! :hatsoff:

Gunner
08-05-2014, 00:42

I think you have the honor of having the first SoG custom Santissima Trinidad.:beer:

7eat51
08-05-2014, 05:00

Donald, she is very impressive. :salute:

DeRuyter
08-05-2014, 13:10

Hi Don glad to see you joined up. I think there is a thread on a dice damage system in the house rules forum. I forgot you used the 1st rates for your Santissima Trinidad model. Something good came from the broken masts after all!

Bligh
08-15-2015, 08:18
At risk of being accused of being a resurrectionist, I intend to continue to comment upon these old AAR's unless any of you take exception, in which case I will cease, and simply read the older ones.
However, I am finding them extremely useful.
Getting this one from another Officer's perspective of the same game is also very interesting.
Thank you for your insight as to how the battle progressed Eric.
That double shot can be devastating as I discovered on using it for the first time in my latest exploit.
Rob.

Salem Vendari
09-06-2015, 23:21
The red flare from the camera against the cotton ball in the fourth image makes it look like the cannons are really going off.

DeRuyter
10-08-2015, 14:29
The red flare from the camera against the cotton ball in the fourth image makes it look like the cannons are really going off.

Actually those are LED blinky lights glued inside the cotton to get exactly that effect. Like these:

http://www.flashingblinkylights.com/red-yellow-blinking-led-clip-on-pins-sku-no-11554.html

Union Jack
10-11-2015, 15:42
Superb action and I do like the blinky lights idea. Adds to the atmosphere.