PDA

View Full Version : Historicon (July 17-20) 2014--SGN

Nightmoss
07-15-2014, 09:42
While this is listed in the "Preliminary Events" catalog it does look like SoG is making an appearance at Historicon? I wont make it, but others may be closer so this is a friendly fyi.

T-332 Battle of Cape Ortegal
(Strachan’s Action) 4 November 1805
Napoleonic; 7 PM; Length: 4 hrs; Hosted by: Eric Boyle; Scale: 1:1000; Rules:
Sails of Glory; No. of Players: 8.
A squadron of British ships of the line under Captain Sir
Richard Strachan chases down a squadron of French ships,
the van squadron under Rear Admiral le Pelley, fleeing from
Trafalgar. Can the French change history and defeat their
pursuers? Try out the new Sails of Glory rules from Ares
Games. Advanced and optional rules will be used. Children
under 13 with playing adult please.

DeRuyter
07-15-2014, 11:17
Yep that's my game. Going up against Battle of Camperdown (Kamperduin) on the same time slot (Fire As She Bears! rules).

I am using a highly modified version of the scenario in the Ares booklet (mainly to keep it at one ship per player). Still debating using pencil logs or the ship mats. (I am also preparing figures for other games so my time has been limited.) I think I'll stick with the standard mats and chits, but I will poll the players to see whether logs would be better received, some gamers do think that writing is too much work!

Nightmoss
07-15-2014, 12:12
Yep that's my game. Going up against Battle of Camperdown (Kamperduin) on the same time slot (Fire As She Bears! rules).

I am using a highly modified version of the scenario in the Ares booklet (mainly to keep it at one ship per player). Still debating using pencil logs or the ship mats. (I am also preparing figures for other games so my time has been limited.) I think I'll stick with the standard mats and chits, but I will poll the players to see whether logs would be better received, some gamers do think that writing is too much work!

Eric, i thought it might be you, but wasn't 100% sure. I hope you don't mind my posting this? If I was close by I'd certainly try to attend and try this out. It sounds like a blast. Also, can't wait to hear the feedback on the mats/chits vs. pencil logs. I know Eric really preferred the laminated logs at Origins.

7eat51
07-16-2014, 05:49
Eric, if you let me know which ships you are using, and if I have the laminated versions for those ships, I could send you a file. The only problem I foresee is that we modified the log due to using a simpler rule set.

Looking forward to hearing about your experience.

DeRuyter
07-16-2014, 08:34
Thanks. I looked at the spreadsheet/log maker in the files section; however at this point I am going with the ship mats. I have printed name tags for the bases and mats with the historical names and any stat changes. Kind of old school but it will work for now.