PDA

View Full Version : Weather Effects

ChyronDave
07-15-2014, 00:41
This may have been asked and answered elsewhere but...

Has anyone worked out weather effects beyond the wind for the game? I was thinking it would be interesting to see how the game would be affected by heavy rains or fog since combat does not always wait for perfect weather.

Nightmoss
07-15-2014, 09:32
This may have been asked and answered elsewhere but...

Has anyone worked out weather effects beyond the wind for the game? I was thinking it would be interesting to see how the game would be affected by heavy rains or fog since combat does not always wait for perfect weather.

Fog is definitely something that's going to be used (if it hasn't been already). Andy B. has a system he's working on and so does Kipp and Eric (7eat51).

See here: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?2440-The-fog-bank&highlight=scenario

Naharaht
07-15-2014, 17:29
Bad weather would mean using minimum sails.

Diamondback
07-15-2014, 21:10
And if the seas are high enough losing the use of your lower gun-deck.

7eat51
07-16-2014, 05:34
Reduced musketry effectiveness. This could be simulated by changing the chit composition to have a higher ratio of "0"s.

Diamondback
07-19-2014, 18:31
Or just simply say "All drawn Musket chits are -1 to face value." 1s become more 0s, 2s become 1s, etc...

Hobbes
07-21-2014, 02:16
I would like to have rule dealing with diplacement due to wind and/or current. This would make fighting near a shore much more challanging.

Generalizing weather effects seems to be a difficult task. The gap between "SoL cannot open lower gun ports" and "Weather too bad to fight" might be very small and there are other situations where SoLs seems to be favoured due to a higher stability in rough water (I cannot recall the battle, some french trying to evade a british blockading squadron. In addition to having the worse sailors, french also seem to be unlucky with weather).