PDA

View Full Version : Ahoy all!

CSherrange
06-20-2014, 20:52
Hello all!

I was just recently introduced to this game and I enjoy it very much. Looking forward to talking with all of you and learning more about the game. I'm from and reside in Pittsburgh, PA, and love sailing ships. I hope Ares makes a Niagra/ Lawrence brig ship pack, because I spent a lot of summers in Erie, PA, and a lot of time aboard the Niagra.

7eat51
06-20-2014, 21:18
Welcome aboard, Charles. :salute:

You've joined at a wonderful time. We are about to kick off our first solo campaign on 1 July. Hope you can join us.

Nightmoss
06-20-2014, 21:26
Hello Charles and welcome to the Anchorage!

Berthier
06-20-2014, 23:28
Welcome to the anchorage Charles :drinks:

Cmmdre
06-20-2014, 23:51
Welcome aboard Charles from the Great Northwest. :salute:

Capn Duff
06-21-2014, 01:28
Welcome Charles, from Bristol UK

Gunner
06-21-2014, 02:15
Welcome from Arizona, Charles.:beer:

CSherrange
06-21-2014, 06:01
Not quite sure what it means, but I would love to join in on the solo campaign. My normal wargaming group and I, who play Napoleonic minatures, aare going to start using this game with our armies to fight in an ahistorical island hping campaign. Should be fun..

7eat51
06-21-2014, 21:08
Charles, here are the two threads you want to look at:

Campaign: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?2449-Solo-Campaign-July-to-Sept-2014&highlight=solo

Rules: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?1018-Solo-Play-rule-development-thread&highlight=solo

Each month, someone will post a scenario that we all play utilizing the solo rules, and write an After Action Report.

CSherrange
06-21-2014, 21:31
Nice, look forward to joining in on the campaign....

Naharaht
06-21-2014, 21:50
Welcome to the Anchorage, Charles.

Coog
06-22-2014, 16:46
Welcome aboard Charles!

Comte de Brueys
06-26-2014, 10:56
Bonjour, Charles.

Welcome on board. :beer:

Jack Aubrey
06-26-2014, 12:15
Willkommen, welcome Charles :thumbsup:

Jack Tar
06-28-2014, 18:55
Welcome aboard Charles!
I have never spent time aboard a sailing ship but I have always been fascinated with them...I am jealous of your time aboard the Niagra. When I studied abroad in Sweden back in college I'd walk by Halmstad castle every morning on the way to class. There was a sailing ship that was always moored in the nissan river right next to it. From my understanding most of the cities that have a castle of sorts have an arrangement like this....maybe it is a tradition type thing (you can see part of the ship in one of the pictures here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halmstad_Castle). Anyway over the spring there some traditional woodworkers came in and over the course of a week or two carved out a new yard for one of the masts out of a big solid log right in front of the castle....super cool to watch. Well I think I talked at length about my tangent. Again, welcome aboard!

Jack Tar
06-28-2014, 19:06
Here is a better picture of the ship(s) that I took from the bridge crossing the river. The smaller ship was actually used and occasionally not tied up.

CSherrange
06-28-2014, 19:56
I was lucky, I worked as a deckhand on barges in Pittsburgh for a while after school and spent three weeks aboard the Niagra receiving my sailing certificate. (basically just for fun, never served aboard a sailing vessel). Although it has changed greatly over the years (such as the additional of twin engines and running with only 40 crew), it was still an incredibly great experience to serve abaord a vessel. I learned how to steer by compass and how to properly take in and let out sail, and do many other things expected of seamen. Even though I ony took a three week session, I wish at the time I had the money and time to go longer. Thank you to everyone who has welcomed me, and hopefully it would be possible to meet up with some folks to get some live games in. I've taken the game to my local gaming group and it has caught on, so hopefully I can help gain this fun game some more followers.