PDA

View Full Version : Broken Mast into the wind

Capn Duff
06-20-2014, 11:44
Need some help chaps as had a situation in a game today

Ship sailing along takes damage which happened to include a broken mast.
Next move has to be a broken mast card
Next planning phase wind change and now ship is sailing into the wind.
Which card takes precedence, the broken mast card or the into the wind card and which into the wind card is used as the broken mast card has no veer number so you see which red border card is to be used ?

David Manley
06-20-2014, 11:56
page 33 - planned manoeuvres are executed normally when a Broken Mast occurs so when the wind changes (assuming you are using 2 card movement) the card previously laid down is in effect and the red card is thus based on that.

if the wind changes whilst a ship has a broken mast and is taken aback then the red card is based on the turn that is planned. There's nothing in the rules that modifies the normal first / second red card progression so stick with that.

I think :happy:

Capn Duff
06-20-2014, 12:14
Thanks Dave, but the situation was the broken mast is already in play and so the next planned move was a broken mast card, but the wind change meant the ship was now sailing into the wind, so which card should be played
The planned broken mast card, or the into the wind card?

If into the wind card which as the broken mast has no veer rating

fredmiracle
06-20-2014, 12:18
I don't have the rulebook handy, but what I recall is that in this situation you have to pick one of the three red cards at random

Capn Duff
06-20-2014, 13:05
Thanks Ill check this

David Manley
06-20-2014, 13:17
I think the random taken aback card applies when a ship suffers a damaged mast whilst taken aback (page 33)

If you have a broken mast card in play and you need to swap it for a red card use the one that is pointing in the same direction as the broke mast card would have taken you.

Ducky
06-20-2014, 13:35
Sounds logical :wink:

Capn Duff
06-20-2014, 16:27
I'll buy that also, cheers Dave

fredmiracle
06-20-2014, 18:16
I think the random taken aback card applies when a ship suffers a damaged mast whilst taken aback (page 33)

If you have a broken mast card in play and you need to swap it for a red card use the one that is pointing in the same direction as the broke mast card would have taken you.

That seems logical. On the other hand, the random choice seemed reasonable to me too, given the challenges of steering a ship with a mast down.

For reference the text is:

Starting with the next turn, the ship [with the broken mast] can only plan gray-border maneuver cards with broken mast symbols. Any maneuver already planned is executed normally.

Use the appropriate movement arrow (green or orange) depending on the attitude of the ship. If the ship is taken aback, the card is replaced randomly by one of the three red border cards.

the way I read that was that any gray-border broken mast card is replaced by a random red card when the ship is taken aback. But I guess it could be interpreted various ways.

Ducky
06-20-2014, 18:31
I didnt read the Rules in my earlier answer;
Fred's interpretation of the rule from the rulebook is the right one.
In my opinion it leaves no space for other interpretations;
Random is random and it sounds more logical as the ship is struggling to move in the direction intended....

So in my (2nd) opinion random it is ( I would roll a dice to determine the card)