PDA

View Full Version : Hey Everyone!

Jack Tar
06-19-2014, 10:48
Hi Everyone, my name is Jack Tar and I am a shipoholic......

Well at any rate love reading Napoleonic Era naval fiction (Patrick O'Brian & C.S. Forester so far). I love to play board games of all shapes and sizes but had never found an age of sail game that really peaked my interest, that is until I ran across SOG. Unfortunately when I found out about this game I had already missed the Kickstarter by less than a week, a sad day indeed. I spent a while trying to find a copy that I didn't have to sell and organ to obtain when it was all sold out and finally did that a while ago. I am still getting the rules under my belt but I have enjoyed it so far. At any rate I wanted to say hi to the community here at large and I'll try to post some good stuff when I can.

7eat51
06-19-2014, 11:00
Marc, it is good having you aboard. :salute:

I, too, have missed a couple of KS by short time periods, only to kick myself afterwards. Now I check KS each week, searching for new games.

Join us in the solo campaign. A couple of folks have been working through the maneuvers, and we'll solidify the rest of the rules by month's end. The first solo campaign kicks off on 1 July. It should be a fun time.

Jack Tar
06-19-2014, 11:24
I'll have to look into that! I was planning on setting up a little solo 1v1 match today to go through the rules on my kitchen table.

Nightmoss
06-19-2014, 11:36
Hello Marc and welcome to the Anchorage! :salute:

Jack Tar
06-19-2014, 11:49
Thanks Jim!
I am a little jealous of your location. Both sides of my family are up in Wisconsin (Milwaukee, Sheboygan, Eagle River, and Rhinelander)....a wonderful and beautiful state. I try to make it up there every summer if I can. My wife and I have always said if we relocate anywhere in the states it will be CO or WI. I have always enjoyed getting up there and doing a little Friday night fish fry (not sure if that is something you do) at some small out of the way bar, good stuff. On a side note if you like cheese...and you are in WI, so I assume you do, this is a dairy we discovered a few years ago that makes killer gouda.
https://www.hollandsfamilycheese.com/about.html

7eat51
06-19-2014, 11:53
Hey Marc, when you travel to Wisconsin, and if you're there for a bit, we could organize a get together. We have members throughout southern Wisconsin and northern Illinois that meet every other month or so.

Sue and I love the Friday night fish fry at a bar in Milwaukee. I will have to contact friends there to find the name. Their chicken is awesome, too.

Jack Tar
06-19-2014, 12:03
Nice! if we get any plans in the works to head North I'll throw something on here if we may have time to meet up.

Nightmoss
06-19-2014, 12:06
Thanks Jim!
I am a little jealous of your location. Both sides of my family are up in Wisconsin (Milwaukee, Sheboygan, Eagle River, and Rhinelander)....a wonderful and beautiful state. I try to make it up there every summer if I can. My wife and I have always said if we relocate anywhere in the states it will be CO or WI. I have always enjoyed getting up there and doing a little Friday night fish-fry (not sure if that is something you do) at some small out of the way bar, good stuff. On a side note if you like cheese...and you are in WI, so I assume you do, this is a dairy we discovered a few years ago that makes killer gouda.
https://www.hollandsfamilycheese.com/about.html

Thanks for the cheese link. I do like cheese, and there are so many great places to go sample and/or purchase cheese here. Just in Madison we have several spots and my latest discovery at the local Carr Valley Cheese Co. is Cranberry Cheddar and Cranberry Chipotle Cheddar. It sounds crazy but tastes great. http://www.carrvalleycheese.com/
I've lived in Wisconsin my entire life so if I were looking to relocate I expect the mountains of CO would be an attraction. Keith (our leader) lives there and has posted some photos in his blog that confirm the beauty of that state. Yes, the Friday Fish fry is ubiquitous throughout the state and while I'm not a big fish person you'll have to go a long way to beat my grandmothers beer battered perch. :happy:

Jack Tar
06-19-2014, 13:41
Jim,
Cranberry chipotle cheddar doesn't sound crazy at all, it sounds AMAZING! I love anything with a little heat or smokey flavor. We have been to CO many times and I can attest that the views are pretty awesome, mountains are a beautiful thing. Plus CO has a good micro brewery around every corner and fantastic beer in general. As far as fish fry goes I'll agree with you 100% that perch is the way to go. I can only imagine that grandma's recipe is the bomb!

Naharaht
06-19-2014, 16:29
Welcome to the Anchorage, Marc.

Cmmdre
06-19-2014, 19:03
Welcome to Anchorage Marc, from another relocated Wisconsoner. :salute:

Coog
06-19-2014, 19:11
Welcome aboard Marc!

Diamondback
06-19-2014, 22:36
Welcome aboard!

Capn Duff
06-20-2014, 11:29
Hi Marc, hello to you, from Bristol, UK

Gunner
06-21-2014, 02:25
Welcome from Arizona, Marc.:beer:

Berthier
06-24-2014, 23:33
Belated welcome to the Anchorage Marc, glad you were able to source the KS ships, they are only going to become more difficult to find in future.

Comte de Brueys
06-26-2014, 10:54
Bonjour, Marc.

Welcome on board. :beer:

Jack Aubrey
06-26-2014, 12:17
Willkommen, Marc, welcome :thumbsup:

Jack Tar
06-28-2014, 18:27
Thanks for the welcome replies everyone.

CSherrange
06-29-2014, 12:34
Welcome aboard!!