PDA

View Full Version : Hello all

Sirius
06-17-2014, 23:33
I have just been introduced to SOG by my local game store here in New Zealand. and from what I have seen I really like the game.

However I'm not that keen on the models. I have seen a few modifications on here that make them look ok but the thick chunk of material between the mast and the sails is just too much for me.

I'm wondering if I could get away with buying the game including ships and then swapping the ships for 1/1200 ships from Langton? My biggest concern is whether the scale differences is to great so the ships won't move / behave correctly for the rules.

7eat51
06-18-2014, 08:00
Welcome aboard, Keith. :salute:

Ah, the models. What can one say? It seems there is no sitting on the fence with these ships. Either folks are impressed, or want to see them sunk. :wink:

As far as game play, it pretty much centers on the base. You could play the game without the ship if you treat the hole in the center of the base as the main mast. Range is calculated from the red dot on the firing arcs to the base of the opposing ship; the arcs are printed on the base; attitude to the wind is determined by the color of the base's edge; movement is done using the base; collisions are based on overlapping bases. Basically, it is a base game. :wink:

Cmmdre
06-18-2014, 08:06
Welcome aboard Keith. :salute:

The Royal Hajj
06-18-2014, 11:35
Welcome aboard mate. As Eric pointed out, you really don't even need any ships to play, just the bases. You could easily swap your 1/1200 ships on to the bases and play until you happily sink them all.

That said, after running about 15-16 convention games, I've never once had anyone mention the bit of plastic between the sails. It's been brought up quite a bit around here and by people eyeballing the ships in profile though.

7eat51
06-18-2014, 11:48
after running about 15-16 convention games, I've never once had anyone mention the bit of plastic between the sails

At Origins, I don't think anyone noticed, or if they did, they didn't say anything. Folks expressed how much they liked the ships, and were happy they didn't have to do anything other than unpack them. Once the games started, the players focused on what they were going to do. Sometimes, it was hard to tell one nation's ships from another, let alone details on the minis. Of course, if someone didn't forget to bring the colored pennants ...

I appreciate the eye for detail and standard for quality that modelers bring, and truly appreciate the enhancements folks here have shared. I can only imagine that playing on Rory's setup or with Jim's or Vol's ships would be something beautiful to behold.

Keith (Sirius), please share some of your work. All of us thoroughly enjoy looking at others' talent or attempts thereof.

Nightmoss
06-18-2014, 12:29
Greetings Keith. Welcome to the Anchorage!

Coog
06-18-2014, 13:01
Welcome aboard Keith!

Naharaht
06-18-2014, 22:49
Welcome to the Anchorage, Keith.

Capn Duff
06-19-2014, 06:01
Welcome Keith, enjoy your time here.
As has already been pointed out, during play you don't really notice the plastic between sail and mast.
However what has got my back up a tad is the wave to just seem to have had paint put on the back of the mast, the sides are clear white plastic. so this really means not only do the spars need painting, but now two sides of the masts.
Didn't really notice this as much in the first wave but now going back to check, but wave two look to have had minimal paint on the masts

Berthier
06-20-2014, 06:45
Welcome Keith, there was great debate here about the plastic between the mast and sails when SOG was first announced and as Eric said it was either indifference or hatred towards it. Strangely after playing around with them for a while you dont notice it anymore plus there are a lot of "improvements" you can make to make the models more individual and attractive. The target audience was always to get new gamers more than grognards I think, but 1/1200 langtons shouldn't be a problem on the bases.

Sirius
06-20-2014, 16:47
Thank you all for your hearty welcome.

I think I fit in that space between grognards and casual gamers I like games more then full on simulations but I like the best models I can get

This will be my first foray into AOS gaming so I have little to share at this point
After playing various other historical wargames I know I will want to use the very nicest ships I can afford
so thank you for assuring me that I can comfortably swap the ships.

7eat51
06-20-2014, 18:24
Keith, I think that whatever would increase your enjoyment of the game is acceptable to use. I have seen some innovative things on the 'Drome regarding rules, planes, scenery, etc., all used to good use. We're already seeing repaints and house rule discussions here, and Andrzej has made some beautiful islands.

Let us see what you'll be using; we enjoy looking.

Gunner
06-21-2014, 02:12
I'm a little late but, Welcome:beer: Keith.

Comte de Brueys
06-26-2014, 10:57
Bonjour, Keith.

Welcome on board. :beer:

Jack Aubrey
06-26-2014, 12:13
Willkommen, welcome Keith :thumbsup: