PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Looking for Info on 2 Venetian Frigates

HMS Lydia
06-07-2014, 09:53
Need information on the two 32 gun Venetian frigates that fought in the 1811 Battle of Lissa; the ships are Carolina and Bellona.

Would like the following information:

Length at Gun Deck
Beam
Tons Burthen
Gun Outfit
Crew
Year Launched

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

7eat51
06-07-2014, 10:55
Need information on the two 32 gun Venetian frigates that fought in the 1811 Battle of Lissa; the ships are Carolina and Bellona.

Would like the following information:

Length at Gun Deck
Beam
Tons Burthen
Gun Outfit
Crew
Year Launched

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

I'll through my books this evening, Bob. I am checking on some stuff this evening for DB as well.

HMS Lydia
06-07-2014, 11:18
Eric,

Appriciate it very much. I need to invest in some books. I could not find data anywhere online for these ships.:salute:

Bob

Naharaht
06-07-2014, 19:43
There is a detailed account of the Battle of Lissa at http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/Naval_History/Vol_V/P_351.html
but no data about the ships of the type you requested.

7eat51
06-07-2014, 21:09
Hi Bob,

I drew a blank as far as my library. I did not realize before this the gap I have in my collection. I have titles leading up to and including Trafalgar, and quite a few titles regarding the War of 1812. The intervening years are practically absent.

I will look at interlibrary loan tomorrow. I have access to most of the academic libraries in Illinois, and several fine journal databases.

I'm sorry I could not have been more help today. Maybe tomorrow, something promising will show up.

HMS Lydia
06-08-2014, 08:32
Eric,

Thanks for trying, its the attempt and willingness to assist that counts. I found there isn't a lot of info on the Venetian, Neopolotan and Kingdon of Italy Navies from that period.

Bob

HMS Lydia
06-08-2014, 08:36
There is a detailed account of the Battle of Lissa at http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/Naval_History/Vol_V/P_351.html
but no data about the ships of the type you requested.

David,

Thanks, that site has a very nice write up on the battle, almost blow by blow.

Bob

haway
06-08-2014, 18:52
by searching on some Italian websites i found just that Bellona was captured by the English fleet and used with the name HMS Dover.

the only thing i found by the battle descriptions is that the two were both equipped with 32 cannons, 16 by each side on just one deck.
nothing else, even on some archives :(
(another interesting thing that may be of use is that in some italian storical documents, those ships were referred to as light frigates or corvettes which translates "fregate leggere" and "corvette")

Diamondback
06-08-2014, 19:36
Jacopo, that's an interesting design twist... most 32's had 26 heavy guns (mainly 12 or 18#) on the "Upper Gundeck" (main deck was below waterline, carrying no guns) and 6 lighter ones (typically 6# or 8#) on the quarterdeck and forecastle (as the French collectively called the two sections, "Gaillards").

Volunteer
06-08-2014, 19:50
David,

Thanks, that site has a very nice write up on the battle, almost blow by blow.

Bob

That is from William James' Naval History of Great Britain. A fantastic resource, except when he talks about Americans.

DeRuyter
06-08-2014, 20:18
Bob: My understanding was that the Venetian frigates were French built, so maybe you should look at French 32s to see if any were sold to the Venetians?

Eric

David Manley
06-08-2014, 23:13
From Winfield's "British Warships in the Age of Sail"

Both ships built in Venice, 1808-08
Built as "large corvettes" to a design by Jean Tupinier
Length on the gundeck 131' 6" (keel length110' 4" WL), beam 34' 4", draught 8' 11"
692 tons displacement

Data for the vessel as HMS Dover so the armament information in the book isn't relevant here. It notes that her sister ship was taken by the Austrians in 1814.

HMS Lydia
06-09-2014, 07:30
From Winfield's "British Warships in the Age of Sail"

Both ships built in Venice, 1808-08
Built as "large corvettes" to a design by Jean Tupinier
Length on the gundeck 131' 6" (keel length110' 4" WL), beam 34' 4", draught 8' 11"
692 tons displacement

Data for the vessel as HMS Dover so the armament information in the book isn't relevant here. It notes that her sister ship was taken by the Austrians in 1814.

David,

Thanks for this. Looks like I'll want to use the French Amazon captures as substitutions for these.

Bob