PDA

View Full Version : USS CONSTITUTION and HMS VICTORY

Nexusflex
06-04-2014, 09:20
Hey I can not remember when we get the USS CONSTITUTION and HMS VICTORY, are ther some who can say the date then I will be happy thank you.

sincerely,
Rene Flex

7eat51
06-04-2014, 09:27
Estimated release date is August. Given the recent issues with Wave 2 ships, I wouldn't be surprised if that date is pushed back.

Naharaht
06-04-2014, 11:03
Let us hope that there are no problems with the masts.

Jack Aubrey
06-04-2014, 12:42
Let us hope that there are no problems with the masts.

I hope so; think the release will be later in September/October

Nightmoss
06-04-2014, 12:49
It probably depends on whether the second production of the Wave 2 ships was preplanned before issues concerning the damaged masts came up? If the Constitution and Victory were in production on another line or place of manufacture their release may not be impacted at all? Although I still guessed a later date in Ed's contest because of the damage problem.

7eat51
06-04-2014, 13:16
As David stated, I hope the mast issue is not a problem on these ships. Hopefully, this problem was discovered and corrected prior to any degree of manufacturing on these special ships.

I received a couple of ships today, and broken masts were among them. The ones that were intact seemed a bit flimsy, but I will compare this evening with the first wave ships.

Nexusflex
06-04-2014, 13:44
thanks for the quick reply

sincerely,
Rene Flex

The Royal Hajj
06-05-2014, 09:29
Roberto says the impact on these two ships is not known yet. If a packaging change fixes the issue for the Wave 2 ships, then it should not impact them. If they have to redesign the molds for the Wave 2 ships to fix it, then a delay would happen for C&V.

Nexusflex
06-05-2014, 10:33
hey all have received an email from Ares about my question about USS CONSTITUTION and HMS VICTORY here is what they wrote.

we still do not have a final release date, as the recent problems with the production of Wave 2 slowed us in the next ships we were making, to be sure they don't have the same problems.
We'll make an update as soon as we have an accurate date.

sincerely,
Rene Flex

7eat51
06-05-2014, 15:36
Better late but intact. If these two arrive with broken masts, I think we would witness some form of mutiny.

Diamondback
06-05-2014, 16:03
Mutiny, hell, more like...

We got a Burn Notice on you--you're Blacklisted.

Nightmoss
06-05-2014, 17:34
Certainly seems like a delay is now inevitable? That's really unfortunate for the USS Constitution, as we have some British 1st Rates in hand already (well parts in hand for some). Outside of my KS purchase I'll certainly buy some more of each whenever they come out. No doubt this pushes back anything else Ares might be working on too.

7eat51
06-05-2014, 19:16
I am wanting 1812 desperately, so any delay on the Constitution is a bit saddening.

Oh well, there are pirate ships awaiting a fresh coat of paint.

Coog
06-05-2014, 20:35
I am wanting 1812 desperately, so any delay on the Constitution is a bit saddening.

It doesn't sound like we shall see Constitution any sooner than around the end of the year...maybe not even then. But even more frustrating for me is that if we don't see other ships in wave 3 suitable for the War of 1812, other than doing repaints for Hebe look-a-likes ourselves, we will probably won't see them until 2016 at the earliest.

Nightmoss
06-05-2014, 23:05

Oh well, there are pirate ships awaiting a fresh coat of paint.

Agreed. . . and Pirates ships you say? :wink:

It doesn't sound like we shall see Constitution any sooner than around the end of the year...maybe not even then. But even more frustrating for me is that if we don't see other ships in wave 3 suitable for the War of 1812, other than doing repaints for Hebe look-a-likes ourselves, we will probably won't see them until 2016 at the earliest.

While I'm definitely enjoying the big 1st rates I suspect the Constitution and any other 1812 ships would sell really well here in the States and elsewhere too. I sure hope Wave 3 includes a number of ships that could be used more universally, even if that means the Spanish and Pirates ships get moved to 2016?

Berthier
06-06-2014, 04:38
Disappointing delay but not entirely surprising. They better be very "special" to justify the delays :wink:

csadn
06-06-2014, 14:03
But even more frustrating for me is that if we don't see other ships in wave 3 suitable for the War of 1812,

Given the absolute botch Wave 2 has turned into, I'll be surprised if we see a Wave 3 *at all*.

fredmiracle
06-06-2014, 15:07
Given the absolute botch Wave 2 has turned into, I'll be surprised if we see a Wave 3 *at all*.

Let's not get TOO pessimistic. Ares still seems excited about Sails. They are putting their best foot forward with the replacement policy (which they might not be so inclined to do if they were about to bail on it). The demand for the product has been high all along, and I get the sense that the Ares' good response has limited any reputational damage. Obviously wave 2 has revealed some of the risks of a product like this, but from wave 1, they (and we) know it's POSSIBLE to ship these minis without inordinate breakage. My guess is that it will slow things down for a while, as Ares will probably be extra careful until they are sure the problem is understood and won't reoccur. But I doubt they would give up on new ship development...

Nightmoss
06-06-2014, 15:12
Let's not get TOO pessimistic. Ares still seems excited about Sails. They are putting their best foot forward with the replacement policy (which they might not be so inclined to do if they were about to bail on it). The demand for the product has been high all along, and I get the sense that the Ares' good response has limited any reputational damage. Obviously wave 2 has revealed some of the risks of a product like this, but from wave 1, they (and we) know it's POSSIBLE to ship these minis without inordinate breakage. My guess is that it will slow things down for a while, as Ares will probably be extra careful until they are sure the problem is understood and won't reoccur. But I doubt they would give up on new ship development...

And they just announced on their Facebook page that the Starter Set is restocked and soon to hit distributors: https://www.facebook.com/SailsOfGlory?ref=stream

The Royal Hajj
06-06-2014, 16:58

csadn
06-07-2014, 15:21

"I always hope for the best; experience has taught me to expect the worst." [Garek, _Star Trek: Deep Space 9_] >;)

Berthier
06-07-2014, 18:21
Well if you expect the worse you will never be disappointed, probably makes you an optimist then :wink:

7eat51
06-07-2014, 21:54
And they just announced on their Facebook page that the Starter Set is restocked and soon to hit distributors: https://www.facebook.com/SailsOfGlory?ref=stream

This is good news. I ran through a Sails game today with Sue and some friends, one of whom expressed no interest in the game but was doing me a favor in play testing. After we played, he looked all over for a Starter Set, but came up empty. He enjoyed the game more than he thought he would. He is contemplating teaching SoG to his Jr. High group at his church. He said he won't join the Anchorage, but little does he know today's game was just the opening salvo (insert evil laugh).

csadn
06-08-2014, 16:23
Well if you expect the worse you will never be disappointed, probably makes you an optimist then :wink:

"A Pessimist is just an Optimist with Experience." >:)

Naharaht
06-16-2014, 18:15
A reply I received from Ares yesterday about my damaged Wave 2 ships implied that H.M.S. Victory and the U.S.S. Constitution will be released after the reprinted Wave 2 ships but not how long after.

Nightmoss
06-16-2014, 18:33
A reply I received from Ares yesterday about my damaged Wave 2 ships implied that H.M.S. Victory and the U.S.S. Constitution will be released after the reprinted Wave 2 ships but not how long after.

That would make sense because of the damage issue they're facing in the first place. If the second printing of Wave 2 ships aren't protected against damage (whether through packaging, glue or other changes) I'd expect the same issues would carry forward to the British 1st Rate (Victory) and possibly the Constitution too?

I just hope the fix is in now for Wave 2 and future waves along with the Victory and Constitution? Any redesign of ships and/or packaging would probably move everything back several months or more?

7eat51
06-17-2014, 14:17
I hope the Constitution and Victory have the same mast strength as the first wave ships. I had complete confidence in raising them out of the storage bins by their masts, having folks play with them in the games, and transporting them. The second wave first rates seemed more fragile. I question, therefore, if the breakage is primarily a packaging issue. Given that the Constitution and Victory are specially designed ships, I hope they will be the best released, thus far.

David Manley
06-17-2014, 14:51
I think you can take it as read that they will have substantially strengthened masts. I would be amazed if there were any problems.

Diamondback
06-17-2014, 17:00
I hope the Constitution and Victory have the same mast strength as the first wave ships. I had complete confidence in raising them out of the storage bins by their masts, having folks play with them in the games, and transporting them. The second wave first rates seemed more fragile. I question, therefore, if the breakage is primarily a packaging issue. Given that the Constitution and Victory are specially designed ships, I hope they will be the best released, thus far.
Frankly, I'd hope that if these are supposed to be top-tier collectible Premium Product, that they'll come complete with factory-applied ratlines, which might also add some structural strength. (Well, as much as two very thin sheets of metallic Swiss cheese can do so, anyway... LOL)

Coog
06-17-2014, 17:09
I doubt we will see factory ratlines. They might use a more flexible plastic for the masts that will not snap so easily. I would expect the two ships will have more detail to the mold and paint jobs. I would expect that Constitution would come with white masts and black spars already painted.

Diamondback
06-17-2014, 17:13
Hopefully not that Delrin crap though... Delrin's extremely flexible, but it's slick, it's unpaintable, and if it breaks... there is NO bonding the pieces back together. I've lost more than one set of model locomotive grab-irons to that problem... and these were engines I plunked down serious change for.

Coog
06-17-2014, 17:37
Hopefully not that Delrin crap though...

I guess you referring to that wonder of the western world: Polyoxymethylene (POM), also known as acetal, polyacetal and polyformaldehyde, and is heavily used in the firearm industry.

Diamondback
06-17-2014, 19:14
and is heavily used in the firearm industry.
Not on MY guns it's not! Old School 4340 Ordnance Steel, as God and His Prophet John Moses Browning intended. :p