PDA

View Full Version : New to the Wardroom

teacherdan
06-04-2014, 08:51
Dan here.

I retired from the Marines a few years ago, and have been teaching middle school and high school history since. My favorite conflicts to study and now game - the WW I air war and age of sail (Napoleonic times). I used to own and play a number of Avalon Hill games back in the 80s and 90s. I'm starting to get back into gaming.

Over the last few years I've taught my son (he's 12) and some of my students to play Wings of War (WW I), and now I'm planning to introduce them to Sails of Glory (next week in fact).

I bought five British and five French ships and have downloaded the Sails of Glory rules. I've also downloaded some different rule sets and bought a copy of The Clash of Arms Games' Close Action. Since all of my students are new to wargaming, I want to find the most accessible and enjoyable way to play.

I'm always open to ideas and suggestions to make the playing experience engaging and fun for my students.

7eat51
06-04-2014, 09:10
Welcome aboard, Dan. :salute:

We are currently working on a set of solo rules that will be available by month's end, and we are starting a three month solo campaign in July. We hope you can join us: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?2449-Basic-Solo-Rules-Campaign-July-to-Sept-2014&highlight=solo+campaign

Have you looked at GMT's Flying Colors series of AoS games? They are coming out with a new expansion, hopefully by year's end.

Thank you for your service. I had the pleasure of serving in the USAF from '89-'94 - five of the best years of my life.

Blake, on the Aerodrome, is running WoG classes for school-aged children this summer. I will get some info for you.

teacherdan
06-04-2014, 09:31
Thanks 7eat51. I'm familiar with the aerodrome site. I'm very comfortable with teaching kids WoG.

I looked at Flying Colors. The local gaming shop (Complete Strategist, Falls Church, VA) actually has a copy. It's also where I bought Close Action. I just felt that Flying Colors is a little too complex for my tastes, and for teaching kids.

What do you mean by a set of solo rules?

Thanks again.

7eat51
06-04-2014, 09:38
Check out this thread: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?1018-Solo-Play-rule-development-thread

The goal is to have sets of rules for solo play at different levels of complexity. Not only will these enable players to enjoy the game when unable to find players, but for us to run campaign similar to the ones on the Aerodrome, such as the Over The Trenches campaigns.

Nightmoss
06-04-2014, 10:44
Greetings Dan. Welcome aboard the Anchorage! :hatsoff:

Coog
06-04-2014, 11:42
Welcome aboard Dan!

Diamondback
06-04-2014, 14:09
SEMPER FI and Welcome Aboard!

Berthier
06-04-2014, 23:32
Welcome Dan. I think you will find the Close Action game more complex than GMT's Flying Colors. The former concentrates on single ship to ship action and is more challenging to manage than Flying Colors which covers actions involving single ships as well as small squadrons. You could do large battles with Flying Colors but you would need a lot of time and probbaly multiple players.

SOG is clearly much simpler and the design with all the play aides and minis make it very attractive to introduce new players, even non-wargamers.

Comte de Brueys
06-04-2014, 23:37
Bonjour, Dan.

Welcome on board. :beer:

Gunner
06-05-2014, 00:51
Welcome:beer: from Arizona, Dan.

David Manley
06-05-2014, 06:19
Welcome aboard. And as a Close Action player (and a close friend of the author) I can only say you've picked a damned fine game there :)

Cmmdre
06-05-2014, 07:27
Welcome aboard Dan. :salute:

Naharaht
06-06-2014, 19:09
Welcome to the Anchorage, Dan.

Capn Duff
06-08-2014, 09:04
Welcome Dan, from Bristol UK