PDA

View Full Version : "Avoiding Confrontations" From the historical scenario book

DeRuyter
06-02-2014, 14:39
We played this scenario Friday night. 4 players using all the Advanced Rules.

The Duguay-Trouin and Guerriere were returning from Haiti and attempting to run into the Spanish port of Corunna when they were intercepted by part of a patrolling British Squadron. Two 74s in the scenario. The French objective is to exit on the British side of the Board. The British need to eliminate one of the two French ships to win. The British start in the center but the wind is in the favor of the French.

I used one of the Hebe class frigates for the Guerriere since she was a 36 gun frigate anyway. In the first game the French out maneuvered the British and only several broadsides were fired before they got away. The second game was very close with the British concentrating on one French ship. The French SOL took a broken mast hit at one point and then with several moves left to exit the board she caught fire! (the only fire chit drawn the game). I used Andy's fire fighting rules and while she only took one damage. One last broadside finished her off a turn before exiting. The Hebe class withstood a couple of long range shots, but found it hard to get in close for a raking shot loaded with chain. One British player adroitly remained in irons for several turns drifting backwards until the right moment and he turned to present his broadsides to both French ships.

Several photos:

First shot - not quite a rake on the Guerriere

The French trying to sail through. You can see the one British 74 in irons to the left - waiting for the right moment to turn.

Last French Broadside before the end. The other British ship is out of the picture astern.

Ducky
06-02-2014, 14:46
Nice pics ! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun:drinks:

Nightmoss
06-02-2014, 18:11
How much replay value is there for this particular scenario? It sounds like once the British coordinate and concentrate fire on a single French ship there are limited options for them getting two ships off the map?

7eat51
06-02-2014, 21:08
Thank you for sharing, Eric.

How was it playing with all the Advanced Rules? Did it noticeable lengthen the playing time? Any issues with using them?

Comte de Brueys
06-02-2014, 23:12
Thank you for this detailed AAR, Eric.

.. One British player adroitly remained in irons for several turns drifting backwards until the right moment and he turned to present his broadsides to both French ships.

If you get into the right position towards the wind and plan always maneuvers with a veer value of 5, you can be straight pushed back over the whole gaming aera for the rest of the game. :bleh:

DeRuyter
06-03-2014, 09:06
How much replay value is there for this particular scenario? It sounds like once the British coordinate and concentrate fire on a single French ship there are limited options for them getting two ships off the map?

More than you might think, it is not easy for the British to keep oriented to prevent the escape. You definitely must have 4 players though. The other scenario which I think is called the Blockade of San Domingo?, is from the same campaign and involved 3 French ships with reduced armament to simulate the effect of yellow fever on the crews. That may be more interesting.

Thank you for sharing, Eric.

How was it playing with all the Advanced Rules? Did it noticeable lengthen the playing time? Any issues with using them?

We came to the conclusion that it did not lengthen playing time, but it did add tactical decision points for the players, especially after taking some damage. We did not use the optional continuous fire rule, which may have a big impact on this type of scenario.

Thank you for this detailed AAR, Eric.

If you get into the right position towards the wind and plan always maneuvers with a veer value of 5, you can be straight pushed back over the whole gaming aera for the rest of the game. :bleh:

Yes I know it seems "gamey" but square rigged ships could "back sails" and remain relatively stationary or "hove to" into the wind and even drift backwards.

Bligh
06-01-2015, 09:18
Just starting to read up on all the AARs I have missed over the last 20 months or so Eric.
The idea of using the "In Irons" situation is not new to me, having been raked myself in the very first game I ever played by the use of this ploy.
Rob.

John Paul
06-02-2015, 02:08
Outstanding AAR, Eric!!

Being "In Irons" is as much of a tactic that a good Captain can use if it gives him the advantage over his adversary! Of course, his opposite number can just as well overcome it should he choose to in order to regain his advantage!!

DeRuyter
06-02-2015, 14:15
Outstanding AAR, Eric!!

Being "In Irons" is as much of a tactic that a good Captain can use if it gives him the advantage over his adversary! Of course, his opposite number can just as well overcome it should he choose to in order to regain his advantage!!

Thanks!

Or that Captain can be raked if the maneuver is mistimed!