PDA

View Full Version : Sails of Glory Record Breaker at GenCon 2014

Nightmoss
05-29-2014, 08:59
Ares is going to attempt a record breaking number of ships in action at GenCon 2014. While Thursday at 10:00 am is not the most opportune time (first opening of the Vendor Hall is also at this time) I signed up right away as it's the only open SoG event left for GenCon this year. See their website for details.

http://www.aresgames.eu/12288

If this belongs elsewhere please feel free to kill the thread. I didn't want to clutter up the Convention listings anymore. Thanks!

kippryon
05-29-2014, 09:53

That WILL be fun... and, IMHO - where the 'Quarterdeck' with different colored bases would really come in handy.
Will be interesting how they run it.

Keep us updated!

Andy Blozinski
05-29-2014, 19:22
Duuuude..bring the Black Pearl with you and see if they let you run your own ship.

Nightmoss
05-29-2014, 21:01
Duuuude..bring the Black Pearl with you and see if they let you run your own ship.

That would be funny. There's a guy who costumes up like Captain Jack Sparrow every year; a very convincing outfit. Now if I could have him standing by when I put the ship down on the table that would be awesome! :happy:

Naharaht
05-29-2014, 21:55
Do we know what the current record is, please?

Nightmoss
05-29-2014, 22:19
Do we know what the current record is, please?

I don't really know if anyone had established one as the game hasn't been out officially all that long? Maybe they did something at Spiel Essen in 2013 with the ships they had on hand?

I suppose you could ask them on Facebook.

7eat51
05-30-2014, 07:41
Last year, the folks in Italy broke the record for WoG with 100 or so players. I imagine Ares is using GenCon as the event to kick off such a record for SoG. I am a little surprised that they have an upper limit of 52 (I believe) players. I would think that such a record event would be open to as many as possible, unless Ares wants a string of record breaking, each marginally larger than the previous event. Or maybe some type of national conspiracy is going on in which Italy will beat the U.S. by having 53 players. :wink:

Nightmoss
05-30-2014, 08:29
Last year, the folks in Italy broke the record for WoG with 100 or so players. I imagine Ares is using GenCon as the event to kick off such a record for SoG. I am a little surprised that they have an upper limit of 52 (I believe) players. I would think that such a record event would be open to as many as possible, unless Ares wants a string of record breaking, each marginally larger than the previous event. Or maybe some type of national conspiracy is going on in which Italy will beat the U.S. by having 53 players. :wink:

I think they've cut it off at 52 because they only have so many staff or volunteers to help with the players? The catalog description says you don't have to know the rules or anything about the game; all will be taught.

When I emailed Ares (at your suggestion) about adding additional events for GenCon it was clear from their reply that having enough staff or volunteers was a major reason why they didn't have more in the initial listing. I offered to volunteer, but also made it clear my actual play time was limited, and frankly I'd rather play in this event anyway. :happy:

7eat51
05-30-2014, 08:44
Maybe Ares should request volunteer help and GMs from the Anchorage next year. Had I known, I would have made arrangements to run a couple games during a given day. I'll email Ares accordingly.

We're thinking about taking a day trip with a friend and his son, probably spending most of the day walking around and taking in the sights.

Nightmoss
05-30-2014, 11:30
Maybe Ares should request volunteer help and GMs from the Anchorage next year. Had I known, I would have made arrangements to run a couple games during a given day. I'll email Ares accordingly.

We're thinking about taking a day trip with a friend and his son, probably spending most of the day walking around and taking in the sights.

I agree 100%. GM's and volunteers would help promote the game immeasurably.

I certainly hope the Starter Set is available for sale at GenCon, whether it's via Ares or other vendors? Outside of demos in their vendor booth nothing promotes a game better than seeing it played in pick up games around the convention hall, the hotels and other public spaces.

Sure hope you can make it to GenCon. It's pretty amazing.

7eat51
05-30-2014, 13:27
Maybe next year, we could look at running a couple of games together.

Not having been to GenCon since the late '70s, I imagine it is quite the show now. I am not sure how much larger it is than Origins, but I believe it to be substantial. Origins is a great venue, especially for the members of the Aerodrome and Anchorage to spend time together. Last year was Sue's and my first trip there, and I hope it will be an annual event for us. It is large enough to have significant variety, vendors, etc., yet small enough to not be a hassle in any real way. I hope you can join us there sometime.

Nightmoss
05-30-2014, 15:33
Maybe next year, we could look at running a couple of games together.

Not having been to GenCon since the late '70s, I imagine it is quite the show now. I am not sure how much larger it is than Origins, but I believe it to be substantial. Origins is a great venue, especially for the members of the Aerodrome and Anchorage to spend time together. Last year was Sue's and my first trip there, and I hope it will be an annual event for us. It is large enough to have significant variety, vendors, etc., yet small enough to not be a hassle in any real way. I hope you can join us there sometime.

GenCon has gotten quite large and I'm sure some folks would say that's it's too big to be manageable even with four days of gaming. I've seen comparisons between GenCon and Origins, with Origins generally being seen as 1/3 to 1/2 the size. I think Origins focuses on boardgames and GenCon on RPG's, but you're still going to find both at each convention. Lots of Cosplay at GenCon, maybe none at Origins? Hotels, food and parking is cheaper at Origins. Never having been to Columbus I can't comment on how the city reacts to Origins, but Indy certainly seems to go above and beyond in welcoming all the attendees to GenCon. There are always rumors that GenCon will move to a more populous city, but for now they've committed to Indianapolis through 2020.

I definitely would like to attend Origins some day. I think there's a more relaxed atmosphere there?

P.S. I think it would be great fun to have some Anchorage folks run an event or two at GenCon.

Tommy Z
05-30-2014, 19:48
Much bigger and a more frantic and frenzied atmosphere (IMHO). Alot more walking as well. Unfortunately as busy as we are at GenCon, I have absolutely NO playing time while the vendor hall is open. Our booth is in the same spot as last year, Jim!

Nightmoss
05-30-2014, 20:11
Much bigger and a more frantic and frenzied atmosphere (IMHO). Alot more walking as well. Unfortunately as busy as we are at GenCon, I have absolutely NO playing time while the vendor hall is open. Our booth is in the same spot as last year, Jim!

I'll definitely swing by and say hello again this year. Yes, it's frantic and frenzied, and I think it's gotten worse just in the last few years? The vendor hall even more so. With so many publishers releasing new titles at this particular show it's guaranteed to be nuts on Thursday!!

7eat51
05-30-2014, 20:12
Origins was definitely relaxed, at least around our tables. Very open space, every convention area easy to get to - I was quite impressed. Jim, you really need to join us if you can. There is a group dinner to a great place by the airport, a lot of time for visiting with folks, a trip to the Air Force Museum, and most of all, our fearless leader Keith. It is hard to believe last year was our first year because all of the WoG players, especially Keith and the folks from Ohio who oversee the area, made everyone feel part of the group. It was one of the most pleasant gaming experiences Sue and I have had. Whenever you can join us in Rockford, you will experience a similar camaraderie.

Nightmoss
05-30-2014, 21:21
Origins was definitely relaxed, at least around our tables. Very open space, every convention area easy to get to - I was quite impressed. Jim, you really need to join us if you can. There is a group dinner to a great place by the airport, a lot of time for visiting with folks, a trip to the Air Force Museum, and most of all, our fearless leader Keith. It is hard to believe last year was our first year because all of the WoG players, especially Keith and the folks from Ohio who oversee the area, made everyone feel part of the group. It was one of the most pleasant gaming experiences Sue and I have had. Whenever you can join us in Rockford, you will experience a similar camaraderie.

Sounds exceptionally nice. Parts of GenCon really have grown too large to be enjoyable. Which reminds me that if you and Sue do make a day trip to GenCon you might want to choose any day but Saturday? Tommy might agree that for vendor hall shopping that is the craziest and most crowded day of the four.

7eat51
05-30-2014, 21:27
Which reminds me that if you and Sue do make a day trip to GenCon you might want to choose any day but Saturday? Tommy might agree that for vendor hall shopping that is the craziest and most crowded day of the four.

Thanks for the advice. I am not as concerned with the vendor hall, fortunately. I have more than enough to play now, with additional games on a want-list. If we come, we might do so the day of the big event. It would be nice to be a part of history. Ah, the glory of it all.

Do they by chance sell time at the vendor hall? I could use additional hours each day. :wink:

Tommy Z
05-31-2014, 16:34
Do they by chance sell time at the vendor hall? I could use additional hours each day. :wink:

I think you're looking for the tardis at the Dr. Who booth!

Nightmoss
05-31-2014, 21:07
I think you're looking for the tardis at the Dr. Who booth!

lol. Indeed, but you'll have to fight the crowds. One of the most photographed spots at GenCon. :wink:

Naharaht
05-31-2014, 21:16
Perhaps you could find a 'Time-Turner' on the 'Harry Potter' stand, if there is one.

Misdomingo
06-01-2014, 14:32
Ares is going to attempt a record breaking number of ships in action at GenCon 2014. While Thursday at 10:00 am is not the most opportune time (first opening of the Vendor Hall is also at this time) I signed up right away as it's the only open SoG event left for GenCon this year. See their website for details.

If this belongs elsewhere please feel free to kill the thread. I didn't want to clutter up the Convention listings anymore. Thanks!

I signed up too -- it should be fun, and I am definitely looking forward to playing Sails of Glory at GenCon.

Nightmoss
06-01-2014, 16:48
I signed up too -- it should be fun, and I am definitely looking forward to playing Sails of Glory at GenCon.

Hope to see you there. I may have asked this before, but were you also a player of Catalyst Game Labs Leviathans? I seem to recall someone with your name (or a very similar name) who wrote up reviews of the 'seminars' that Randall presented at GenCon.

Misdomingo
06-02-2014, 19:40
Hope to see you there. I may have asked this before, but were you also a player of Catalyst Game Labs Leviathans? I seem to recall someone with your name (or a very similar name) who wrote up reviews of the 'seminars' that Randall presented at GenCon.

Yes, indeed, that was me!

Nightmoss
06-02-2014, 22:14
Yes, indeed, that was me!

Cool. Nice to see you here in the Age of Sail. :salute: