PDA

View Full Version : Taken Aback and Entanglement rules

Baxter
05-26-2014, 15:26
Ahoy shipmates,

We had our third game last night and a couple of questions came up. One was to do with entanglement. When our ships are entangled, can they still fire? I thought not but I am not sure.

The other one was where my opponent in HMS Vanguard moved into the taken aback position using a side slip card with the value of 5. In his next turn he used the red 5 card and it seemed that he would never get out of being taken aback because that card seemed to just make him go backwards and forwards on the same spot. Is there any way out of that or is the afflicted ship perpetually taken aback until the enemy comes up and finishes him off? I am assuming here that the movement card that moves you into the taken aback position is played first and then in the next move the red card to the same value is played as the next turn. Or, is the movement card that would put you into the aback position not played at all and the red card played INSTEAD of that card? The manual is a bit vague for me (or I am a bit vague for the manual).

fredmiracle
05-26-2014, 15:36
1) yes, you can still fire when entangled. It only affects movement.

2) this is a common mistake.

During the planning phase, you ALWAYS plan blue movement cards (or grey if you have mast damage)--never red ones

Then, during the movement phase, IF you are taken aback, you replace the planned movement card with the appropriate red card.

The upshot of this is that you are only stuck playing red-5 cards if you continue to plan blue-5 cards. If you plan a turn to one side or the other, then the appropriate red card will be triggered instead of the red-5.

In the example you give, the player may have been stuck going straight for a turn or two, but as soon as they realized the issue they could start planning turns to one side or the other, which would be converted to either the red-4 or red-6 card, which would eventually take them out of the wind

Baxter
05-27-2014, 06:46
Thank you