Ducky
05-25-2014, 14:56
@ Keith

What about a perspex 9966sector template for SoG solo gameplay,
Just like the one for WoG.

Cause the bases of the ships are bigger the WoG template cant be used for SoG

Nightmoss
05-25-2014, 16:37
That's pretty cool. Do lots of WoG folks do solo missions?

7eat51
05-26-2014, 06:46
Do lots of WoG folks do solo missions?

YES.

Jim, one of the great things occurring on the Aerodrome is solo campaigns with associated AARs. Here is a link to one we are wrapping up. It is based on the final year of the WWI. In post #3, there is a link to the solo charts based on maneuver decks. These campaigns go a long way toward building community, clarifying rules, developing tactical understanding, developing house rules, play testing such developments, etc. They are great fun. I truly believe that once we have created such a system for SoG, we'll see a lot more activity here on the Anchorage, and we'll attract more players as folks will not have to depend so heavily on group play.

The rules: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?13711-Final-Months-Campaign-Rules

Here is a link to the associated missions, with links to the associated AARs: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?13661-All-The-Final-Months-OTT-Campaign-Scenarios

7eat51
05-26-2014, 06:48
Here is a link we started here on the Anchorage regarding solo play: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?1018-Solo-Play-rule-development-thread&highlight=solo+rules

We need to resurrect this discussion.

Nightmoss
05-26-2014, 08:35
YES.

Jim, one of the great things occurring on the Aerodrome is solo campaigns with associated AARs. Here is a link to one we are wrapping up. It is based on the final year of the WWI. In post #3, there is a link to the solo charts based on maneuver decks. These campaigns go a long way toward building community, clarifying rules, developing tactical understanding, developing house rules, play testing such developments, etc. They are great fun. I truly believe that once we have created such a system for SoG, we'll see a lot more activity here on the Anchorage, and we'll attract more players as folks will not have to depend so heavily on group play.

The rules: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?13711-Final-Months-Campaign-Rules

Here is a link to the associated missions, with links to the associated AARs: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?13661-All-The-Final-Months-OTT-Campaign-Scenarios

Thanks for all the links. I'll check them out later this morning.

Nightmoss
05-26-2014, 12:03
Well I've been reading a number of these solo mission setups and the AAR's. They are very entertaining and well done. Eric, I am surprised you're flying for the Central Powers?! :wink:

And you can certainly see from the comments that follow an AAR that a great community of players is sharing in the fun. About how long does it take to setup and run an average solo mission?

Tommy Z
05-26-2014, 12:19
I do Solo SoG, but just randomly draw cards for the AI and use my best judgments on crew actions.

I also lose the the Ai more than I "win".

I always use the continuous fire rules, which seems to help.

Nightmoss
05-26-2014, 12:26
I do Solo SoG, but just randomly draw cards for the AI and use my best judgments on crew actions.

I also lose the the Ai more than I "win".

I always use the continuous fire rules, which seems to help.

Tommy, I remember you posting one of the first (if not THE first) solo AARs here. I'm not sure I'd enjoy losing to the AI that often though? lol.

Ducky
05-26-2014, 13:10
The attacks of a ship should be more random, otherwise the AI becomes to predictable.
So maybe trow a dice to see how it attacks?

I also lost more than few games of WoG to AI planes,
The damage chit Gods seem to prefer AI players :shock:

7eat51
05-26-2014, 22:04
Well I've been reading a number of these solo mission setups and the AAR's. They are very entertaining and well done. Eric, I am surprised you're flying for the Central Powers?! :wink:

And you can certainly see from the comments that follow an AAR that a great community of players is sharing in the fun. About how long does it take to setup and run an average solo mission?

Central Powers? It is all about the aesthetics. A pilot must fly in style, you know.

Setup is fairly quick, especially once you have a system in place. After a half-dozen games, I found a system that works well for managing the cards. Play actually does not take too long. What takes time is photographing the mission, especially for us given that neither Sue nor I are photographers, our camera is far less than desired, and lighting can be problematic; additionally, we have to take notes for the AARs. We have discussed getting a new camera, and I think that would make a lot of difference. Again, the WGF solo missions were part of a group campaign, so photos and the telling of a story via an AAR was the major concern. All of those missions could have been played in less than an hour if they were simply played. Additionally, the AI mechanism is such that two players could play against it, so for those wanting to introduce the game to others, or for those who prefer not to compete, it is a great alternative.

Playing OTT enabled me to develop friendships with a dozen folks, which was the most rewarding aspect of the campaign, by far.

The Royal Hajj
05-28-2014, 13:30
I'd be happy to make a solo template for SGN once some rules requiring one is worked out.

Ducky
05-28-2014, 13:50
Thats a deal matey!

Nightmoss
05-28-2014, 16:07
Central Powers? It is all about the aesthetics. A pilot must fly in style, you know.

Setup is fairly quick, especially once you have a system in place. After a half-dozen games, I found a system that works well for managing the cards. Play actually does not take too long. What takes time is photographing the mission, especially for us given that neither Sue nor I are photographers, our camera is far less than desired, and lighting can be problematic; additionally, we have to take notes for the AARs. We have discussed getting a new camera, and I think that would make a lot of difference. Again, the WGF solo missions were part of a group campaign, so photos and the telling of a story via an AAR was the major concern. All of those missions could have been played in less than an hour if they were simply played. Additionally, the AI mechanism is such that two players could play against it, so for those wanting to introduce the game to others, or for those who prefer not to compete, it is a great alternative.

Playing OTT enabled me to develop friendships with a dozen folks, which was the most rewarding aspect of the campaign, by far.

Yes, I suppose that's true. The Central Powers planes and uniforms do impress.

A group campaign here would be great fun, but that's a lot of work, even spread out over two years as the OTT campaign was. I'll be watching this thread closely for future developments.

Oh, and I do think a new camera would be something worth while. There's nothing wrong with the photos you took, but having a better camera (or tablet with a 2 megapixel camera built in) might be nice to have for Origins, GenCon, WoG Scrambles, etc.

7eat51
05-28-2014, 16:39
A group campaign here would be great fun, but that's a lot of work, even spread out over two years as the OTT campaign was. I'll be watching this thread closely for future developments.

Oh, and I do think a new camera would be something worth while. There's nothing wrong with the photos you took, but having a better camera (or tablet with a 2 megapixel camera built in) might be nice to have for Origins, GenCon, WoG Scrambles, etc.

As for campaigns, I would not want one that runs longer than 12 months. I will be setting up a three month campaign starting in July, figuring by then we'll have a basic set of solo rules hashed out. While playing, we can be discussing an intermediate set of rules with greater playing options - sail settings, etc. I am happy to organize the campaigns, and given that folks will volunteer to create the monthly scenarios, it won't be too much to handle. Cutting our teeth on a three-month basic rule set campaign will help with the learning curve.

We will definitely get a new camera. Sue also uses it to photo images for making greeting cards. I am afraid I won't be taking pictures at Origins - running seven games will keep me busy enough. I am hoping others will have cameras and take pictures accordingly.