PDA

View Full Version : SGN Orient/Austerlitz Repaint-WIP

Nightmoss
05-21-2014, 17:31
Now for something a bit more positive I've got some test shots of the current SGN repaint I'm working on. Having repaired the Orient's mast I decided I wanted to do a repaint. According to Rod Langton's book French ships in home waters painted the masts (upper and lower) black. In warmer waters (like the Mediterranean) they might have been varnished, light brown or even white. So that's where I'm at right now. I was unable to find a source for how I might paint the boats on deck. All red doesn't seem quite right? If someone here knows let me know? Finally a couple shots of the Orient/Austerlitz next to the HMS Swan. In case you didn't already know these are really big ships! :happy:

Some more painting to do and then on to the rigging.

Cheers!

Gunner
05-21-2014, 18:44
I see in picture 4 that the HMS Swan has the Orient in tow.
Did she give much of a fight before she struck?:beer:

Nightmoss
05-21-2014, 19:03
I see in picture 4 that the HMS Swan has the Orient in tow.
Did she give much of a fight before she struck?:beer:

Very funny. There's one in every crowd. :wink:

The Royal Hajj
05-21-2014, 20:25
Looks good mate! You should find a way to adjust your white balance on your photos ;)

Naharaht
05-21-2014, 21:11
That is a great looking repaint, Jim.

7eat51
05-21-2014, 21:23
Jim, once again, you are providing us with a beautiful visual.

I wish we could have Vol, Rory, David, you, and other modelers hold a workshop at a conference or some such thing. All of you are inspiring.

Seeing those ships next to each other definitely gives a clear idea of their differences. The word "ouch" comes to mind. Having seen what SoLs can do to frigates in this game, a duel between such ships as these, ...

Comte de Brueys
05-21-2014, 22:16
Good work Jim, but I don't have the feeling that the colours fit 100% for this ship.

Maybe it's because I only know the paintings of the burning Orient or like the First Sea Lord mentioned it's the adjustment of your camera.

Nightmoss
05-21-2014, 22:51
Good work Jim, but I don't have the feeling that the colours fit 100% for this ship.

Maybe it's because I only know the paintings of the burning Orient or like the First Sea Lord mentioned it's the adjustment of your camera.

I'm using my tablet right now and the photos do look dark. I think the basement lights and the extremely blue mats throw the camera off. Trust me you'd be blinded if I used auto correct on the photo processing. :)

I may try some outdoor shots tomorrow to see how that turns out?

csadn
05-22-2014, 14:12
Given what happened to _Orient_, I'm a little nervous about seeing the words "_Orient_" and "paint" in close proximity.... >;)

Nightmoss
05-22-2014, 16:02
Got some shots outdoors late today. Nothing like sunlight to point out the mistakes and areas where painting still needs to be done. I've included the HMS Bellona for a size comparison. This will be the first ship to get the Anchorage brass ratlines once I get them in hand.

Ducky
05-22-2014, 17:00
Both look nice! Cant wait to see the Oriënt rigged :wink:

Nightmoss
05-27-2014, 17:23
Orient now has her standing rigging. I've been thinking about doing the running rigging as well, but I'm going to hold on that pending receipt of the Anchorage brass ratlines for Wave 1. I suspect that I'll be able to use the 3rd rate ratlines on the 1st rates without too much effort, but I wont know that for certain until they're here. As I'd hoped (and was pointed out by Rory in another post) the standing rigging really reduces the flimsy feeling of the masts. That's not a solution for most folks who plan on playing with their ships right out of the box, just an observation. I will say that if Keith would do custom ratlines for the Wave 2 1st rates you'd get the same result. So, just a few shots this time. Cheers!

Berthier
05-27-2014, 17:41
Again excellent work Jim, you need to take all your photos outside though!

Nightmoss
05-27-2014, 19:32
Again excellent work Jim, you need to take all your photos outside though!

Thanks Daniel. Couldn't work outside today; lightning, thunder and tons of rain. What I should do is make myself a DIY light box.

Nightmoss
05-27-2014, 22:34
OK, so now I get what Keith meant by checking the white balance on my digital camcorder!? To get decent indoor shots it shouldn't be on auto, which of course mine was. I also built a cardboard light box. I'll need to get better lighting but two test shots turned out OK. With a larger box and some different back drops I think I could have even more fun with the ships? :happy:

Ducky
05-28-2014, 02:36
She is a real beauty!!!! Keep up the excellent work :wink:
And yes you solved your whitebalance issues aswell!:drinks:

7eat51
05-28-2014, 05:30
She's looking great, Jim.

Nice work with the light box. The rigging is easier to see as well given it does not compete with the wind direction lines on the game mats.

The Royal Hajj
05-28-2014, 06:55
Looking great Jim! And nice work on sorting out the WB issue. I was just going to link you to this How To (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/content.php?116-How-to-Photograph-Miniature-planes) I wrote on photographing our little toys.

Berthier
05-28-2014, 07:03
Great rigging job, nice photos too now :wink:

Have you noticed how the first rates are so large they cover the name and ratings details on the end of the base cards? I hadn't realised it till I tried to see which side of a card I'd placed under the ship and had to rotate the vessel to read the details. No big deal though as how many first rates are going to be on a table at once anyway!

You painted the ships boats I notice as well, lovely addition.

Nightmoss
05-28-2014, 08:03
Thanks all for the compliments!

Looking great Jim! And nice work on sorting out the WB issue. I was just going to link you to this How To (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/content.php?116-How-to-Photograph-Miniature-planes) I wrote on photographing our little toys.

Keith, that's a great 'How To'. You should have linked it (or I should have found it) earlier. :thumbsup:

Great rigging job, nice photos too now :wink:

Have you noticed how the first rates are so large they cover the name and ratings details on the end of the base cards? I hadn't realised it till I tried to see which side of a card I'd placed under the ship and had to rotate the vessel to read the details. No big deal though as how many first rates are going to be on a table at once anyway!

You painted the ships boats I notice as well, lovely addition.

The 118's are huge and I noticed right away how they obscure the base card information. The British 1st rates are almost as bad, but not quite.