PDA

View Full Version : Sails of Glory on board the USS Olympia

DeRuyter
05-08-2014, 14:07
On Saturday May 3, 2014 I participated in a game day on board the USS Olympia in Philadelphia. Not coincidentally this was the 116th anniversary of the Battle of Manila Bay!

I ran one of the scenarios from the Historical scenario book, "Combat, Finally". In book it pits a British SOL and frigate against a French SOL and 2 frigates. I did modify it and remove one French frigate and as it turned out they didn't need it. We had three players and all Advanced rules were in play. The British player did comment that he would need to play more before trying to handle 2 ships at a time again.

The tone for the battle was set when the French SOL hit the British frigate with a long range bow rake. This was the beginning of some awesome chit pulls from that player (rolling many sixes in the dice world!).

Initial rake from the French SOL on the frigate

and the damage:

Exchange of fire

We were playing on the berth deck - yes they still used hammocks in 1898.

Another nasty broadside from the French SOL!

This is it for the British, the frigate has already struck and the SOL is about to do the same.

This was the first time I played with all the advanced rules, i.e.; crew actions. It does add to the game and can get a bit dicey if you had taken damage and need to put out fires and stop leaks! I think that was why a ship would try to sail out of range and effect repairs if possible!

I'll post some Olympia pictures separately.

Eric

Coog
05-08-2014, 14:11
Nice AAR.:thumbsup:Looking forward to your photos.

Nightmoss
05-08-2014, 17:32
Great report and photos. Looking forward to the pictures of the Olympia too. What's her status these days. I'd heard some rumors that she might have a threatened future?

Coog
05-08-2014, 19:03
I'd heard some rumors that she might have a threatened future?

Plans have fallen through for finding an organization that could take over care of the ship. As of last month,the Seaport Museum plans to launch a national fundraising campaign for her preservation.

7eat51
05-08-2014, 20:33
Very cool, Eric. I think to play is such a setting would be rather memorable.

Looking forward to your other pictures.

Gunner
05-08-2014, 21:14
Nice report Eric. I think the outcome of this battle shows how important the ability cards would be.

Comte de Brueys
05-08-2014, 23:41
Great AAR, Eric. :salute:

The perfect atmosphere for a SoG game.

(Two of the guys in the background - 4th picture - played the MB version of Axis & Allies - my first strategic boardgame!)

Nightbomber
05-09-2014, 05:07
Great report, Eric! What a climatic setting:rum:

@Sven: Imagine I still have a worn copy of the same edition as we see on that pic!

Comte de Brueys
05-09-2014, 05:20
I can imagine that comrade, because I've got 2 copies. :wink:

...and two copies of Samurai Swords (orginal MB) and two copies of Fortress America (original MB).

Nightbomber
05-09-2014, 07:56

...and two copies of Samurai Swords (orginal MB) and two copies of Fortress America (original MB).

You are simply the God of War!

Coog
05-09-2014, 13:39

What about the other two games of Milton Bradley's Gamemaster series: Conquest of the Empire and Broadsides and Boarding Parties?

DeRuyter
05-09-2014, 13:59
Plans have fallen through for finding an organization that could take over care of the ship. As of last month,the Seaport Museum plans to launch a national fundraising campaign for her preservation.

The Educational director of the Seaport Museum told us that they now "own" the ship and as you state are going to be fundraising for preservation. The volunteer crew do a good job with basic maintenance and the ship looks good topside, the problem is that she needs a drydock and below the waterline work. Of course that is $$$$.

I have delayed posting more pictures because I have been working on scenarios for the contest! Also I did play "On Equal Terms" from the historical scenario book last night with a gaming buddy. Very nice game of frigate maneuvering, except I couldn't hit anything! (my opponent kept drawing '0').

Coog
05-09-2014, 14:25
The volunteer crew do a good job with basic maintenance and the ship looks good topside, the problem is that she needs a drydock and below the waterline work. Of course that is $$$$.

The "below the waterline" problem seems to be the most common one with the old steel warships. USS Texas has the same problem. Fortunately the State of Texas owns her and I don't see any way the Texas legislature would ever allow her to become scrap. A dry berth is scheduled to be completed for her by 2017.

Nightmoss
05-09-2014, 14:56
What about the other two games of Milton Bradley's Gamemaster series: Conquest of the Empire and Broadsides and Boarding Parties?

I never was able to land a copy of Broadsides and Boarding Parties. :sad: However, I do have MB's Shogun, Fortress America, Conquest of the Empire and Axis and Allies. :happy:

Naharaht
05-09-2014, 15:29
That was a very appropriate setting for playing SoG.

I own copies of MB's Shogun and Axis & Allies board games.

fredmiracle
05-09-2014, 19:35
I visited Olympia on a family vacation in 1983. Thanks for bringing up good memories ...

(jeez though, am I that old? :D )

Gunner
05-09-2014, 20:04
(jeez though, am I that old? :D )

Your not old until people start saying, how young you look for your age.:beer:

Bligh
09-17-2015, 04:49
All I can say to this one is BRUTAL.
Very similar to the very first game I ever played against Christophe.
My Frigate got raked in the first encounter, and it was all downhill from there.
Thanks for the timely reminder not to let a superior ship rake you.
Rob.

Bligh
09-17-2015, 04:50
All I can say to this one is BRUTAL.
Very similar to the very first game I ever played against Christophe.
My Frigate got raked in the first encounter, and it was all downhill from there.
Thanks for the timely reminder not to let a superior ship rake you.
Bye the bye, my dad was still berthing in a hammock in 1942.
Rob.

Union Jack
09-17-2015, 10:54
Mayhap it will be brutal again at Doncaster Rob. SoG and WGS Op Pedestal brutal.

Great venue for a game, have to think about Hartlepool and HMS Trincomalee.