PDA

View Full Version : Handbook of 19th Century Naval Warfare

Nightbomber
05-07-2014, 12:10
Here is my latest ebay find for 3GBP (used, but excellent condition).
The book covers the period 1793-1914. Pagination: 281. Many pictures and drawings of the era.
Useful data and explanations, like drawings of grape shots and anti-mast (not only chain balls) ammo included.
Recommended.

7eat51
05-08-2014, 07:03
Nice find, Andrzej. This would be a good addition, it seems, for anyone interested in mid-late 19th century as well. Just ordered a copy. Yesterday, I received an order of American Civil War ships, so this read will be nice to learn about the evolution of naval combat from Napoleonic to ironclad. Thanks for posting.

Amazon has many used copies in the $5 range.

http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-19th-Century-Naval-Warfare/dp/1557503222/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1399554256&sr=1-1

According to amazon:

Great technological advances were made in almost every area of maritime military activity between 1793 and 1914. At the beginning of the nineteenth century the Napoleonic wars marked the zenith of fighting sail and wooden hulls. By the dawn of the twentieth century, heavily armed iron-hulled warships, powered by oil-fired burners and driven by screw propellers, pointed to the shape of things to come. Spencer Tucker's heavily illustrated narrative account of this crucial transition phase in naval history focuses on the evolution of ships and their ordnance. Tucker opens with a summary of technology, tactics, and strategy in the early 1800s, followed by accounts of the wars of the Napoleonic period and the factors that led to British naval supremacy. He then describes the revolutions that followed in naval ordnance, propulsion, iron hulls, and underwater warfare and reviews the naval situation before the First World War, showing how changes played out in the Sino-Japanese, Russo-Japanese, and Spanish-American Wars. He concludes with an explanation of the world naval balance on the eve of the World War I.

Cmmdre
05-08-2014, 07:31
I have this book. The subject matter straddles the period between the end of the age of sail and the begining of the dreadnaught.

Comte de Brueys
05-10-2014, 12:59
Interesting purchase, Andrzej.

I bet the number of special "Age of Sail" literature in Polish language is as limited as the number in German language. :surrender:

Пилот
05-13-2014, 16:09
And in Serbian/Croat language is, I bet, even worse situation...

7eat51
05-20-2014, 13:25
Just arrived today. This will be a nice way to spend some of the holiday weekend coming up.

Between this, and a book Baz, on the 'Drome, recommended about the Imperial Japanese Navy entitled Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway, it looks like my new readers will be broken in just fine.