PDA

View Full Version : First Game Questions

Baxter
05-05-2014, 15:07
Hello shipmates,

My friend and I had our first game last night using my starter box set. We took a 74 each and at the end of the game all of my damage squares on the Vanguard were filled so I surrendered. My opponent showed superior tactics and moves but it was a lot of fun. We played the basic game and with lots of reference to the instruction manual. We thought that the game was pretty realistic with the dependence on the wind and the ships movement, but as a couple of old WoG players we were a bit mystified with some things. So, please forgive my ignorance but for example:-

In a collision although we understand that there is no damage penalty, can the ships still fire at each other in the turn that the collision occurs in?

If we are fighting with say the right side then every time we fire a broadside we reload during our next ships movement and cannot fire until that side until the next movement. So firing from the right side every second turn, do I have that right?

Although there are two places for movement on our player ship mats we only play this one manoever at a time, ie. we only pick one card per turn, is that right?

Baxter

7eat51
05-05-2014, 22:03
Ships that collide can still fire upon each other.

Broadsides can be fired every other turn with reloading occurring during the skipped turns. I will look for a thread in which we discussed using the smoke markers as indicators of just fired and reloading. They are great visuals to track which guns can fire and which cannot.

If I understand your last question correctly, you only play one maneuver card at a time, but you plan a move ahead. For example:

Turn 1, you plan your first and second maneuvers. You then execute the first maneuver.
Turn 2, you plan your third maneuver. You then execute the second maneuver you chose during the previous turn.
Turn 3, you plan your fourth maneuver. You then execute the third maneuver you chose during the previous turn.
Turn 4, you plan your fifth maneuver. You then execute the fourth maneuver you chose during the previous turn.

Comte de Brueys
05-05-2014, 22:50

We played the basic game and with lots of...

Although there are two places for movement on our player ship mats we only play this one manoever at a time, ie. we only pick one card per turn, is that right?

You played the basic game, so your behaviour was correct when you planed and executed only one card from the beginning. :wink:

Baxter
05-06-2014, 15:14
Thank you for your replies. That all makes more sense now.