PDA

View Full Version : First game with Advanced Rules

Comte de Brueys
04-27-2014, 07:45
First game with Advanced Rules

After a few games with standart rules we decided to make the next step and played a game with advanced rules.

My gaming buddy, who has a favour for the Royal Navy commanded the Bellona class SoL HMS DEFENSE and the Amazon class frigate HMS MELANGER.

To have balanced conditions I choosed the French captured Elizabeth class SoL LE BERWICK and the French captured Amazon class frigate EMBUSCADE.

We used the advanced rules and add only one optional rule: Let the men drink.

We started with SoLs and friagates facing each other. The wind came from uper part of the game mats (south wind).

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9748&d=1398584895

Hard to describe the difference between standard rules and advanced rules. I had the feeling that theese are two different games.

Don't ask me why, but we both decided to sail versus the wind.

I risked a long range shot and my buddy wanted to shoot on close range.

Not the best decision, because his frigate was in the perfect angle for a raking shot through the bow. Le Berwick dealt out 8 A-damage counters (6 normal 6 + 2 bow raking) on the poor RN frigat and caused a broken mast.

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9747&d=1398584895

The Royal Navy stroke back, unfortunately none of the ships was able to use the center firing arc.

...and the British frigate forgot the musket fire.:wink:

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9746&d=1398584895

The ships separated and we had two fights: SoL vs. SoL and my French frigate hunted the RN frigate with the brocken mast.

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9745&d=1398584895

In this game the French had the more luckier hand.

A nice broadside from the center arc caused a fire on board of HMS Defence. :shock:

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9744&d=1398584895

HMS Defense in trouble. Fire on board just after the repair of a leak.

My buddy asked me if the inflow of sea water will extinguish the flames? :question:

I answered him that the lower part of his ship is sinking and the upper part is burning. :cheezy:

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9752&d=1398585030

A last angry shot from HMS Defence broke one of my SoL's masts.

We ended the game at this point because, there was no chance to win or escape for the British anymore.

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9751&d=1398585030

French side:

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9750&d=1398585030

British side:

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9749&d=1398585030

Fazit:

The first salvo is very important - try to fire it with the center angle
Advanced rules add 150 % gaming fun
Fire damage is really dangerous - incredible how fire can keep your crew busy
Use the single repair damage action as soon as possible
Same counts for the "let the men drink" option if you use it
You need more time to play a game with advanced rules
Sail with the wind

Because of the result I asked my buddy to change sides for the next game and give him the more stable/powerful Concorde class & Temeraire class.

He refused. :question:

He don't want to play for the French. :swordleft:

Nightmoss
04-27-2014, 09:18
Excellent report and photos. Thanks for the commentary on advance rules too. The French did well, huzzah! :happy:

Comte de Brueys
04-28-2014, 02:47
I really like the advanced rules with the crew management.

A nice challange.

Especially the fire on board can cut down your crew actions very rapid. :erk:

7eat51
04-28-2014, 10:35
Sven, do you think you would still enjoy an easier set of rules, now that you have played with advanced options?

I know if WoG, I enjoy games without altitude, even though I like playing with altitude. Basically, I can enjoy WoG games with different levels of rule complexity. I wonder how it will be with SoG.

You mentioned the need for more time with the advanced rules. The longest slot we have at Origins for SoG games is three hours. I am wondering how many rules can be effectively incorporated, especially since the game is still relatively new. I imagine as each year passes, there will be a growing number of players well accustomed to a broader compliment of rules. It is this year, though, for which I am planning games.

Thanks for the report. Very enjoyable and informative read. :thumbsup:

Gunner
04-28-2014, 11:35
A very entertaining and clear picture story. I especially liked your use of icons.:beer:

Comte de Brueys
04-28-2014, 14:36
Thank you comrades.

Eric - I would not row back to the standart rules. Like wrote before it adds 150 % gaming fun.

…and I really prefere altitude rules for WoG because many planes have their strengh in their climb rate like the Fokker Dr.I.

We needed more time because it was the first game with advanced rules and we commanded two ships each. I’m shure the advance rules double the play time, because you need to handle different actions in different turn steps.

My proposal for an advanced game at the Con is, to add only the “Let the men drink" optional rule like we did in the game above. Otheres like “Entanglement” or “Boarding” optional rule are too complictated. (In my opinion. :steer:)

Additional I would prefer a second GM for an advanced rules game.

One for each side or per 5-6 players.

What kind of players do you expect for the games at Origins?

7eat51
04-28-2014, 20:30
Hi Sven,

Very helpful thoughts.

A few of the games will be for beginners. The games are two hours and will will be very basic.

Two games will use the standard rules, and will be three hours with up to 16 players - if memory serves me correctly.

Two games will use some advanced rules, be three hours, and up to 16 players. These games assume basic familiarity with the game.

All of this is subject to change based on the composition of the players. Part of me thinks it would be more enjoyable to use less rules and finish the encounter, then to have greater complexity, but run out of time. Discussions like this helps me think through this more - very appreciative.

I think next year there will be a greater probability of having assisting GMs given the greater familiarity with the game.

Andy Blozinski
04-29-2014, 16:35
I included entanglement and boarding when I ran it last month and it didn't slow things down. A boarding action isn't more difficult than firing a broadside.

DeRuyter
05-01-2014, 11:11
Hi Sven,

Very helpful thoughts.

A few of the games will be for beginners. The games are two hours and will will be very basic.

Two games will use the standard rules, and will be three hours with up to 16 players - if memory serves me correctly.

Two games will use some advanced rules, be three hours, and up to 16 players. These games assume basic familiarity with the game.

16 players!! :shock: Do you mean 8 players in each of two games? I tend to shy away from any convention game with more than 8 players.

The game I ran in March was for 8 players and while I used some optional rules (boarding, entanglement) I did not use crew actions. The game took about 3-1/2 hours.

Eric

DeRuyter
05-01-2014, 11:12
I included entanglement and boarding when I ran it last month and it didn't slow things down. A boarding action isn't more difficult than firing a broadside.

Ditto. It is more fun for players who end up colliding a lot!

7eat51
05-01-2014, 16:18
Hi Eric,

Yes, up to 16 players in a given game. The beginner games have a max of 8, IIRC. With 3 hour slots, the larger games will probably have the two sides starting in close proximity. This is why I am unsure about how extensive advanced rules should be used. I am trying to figure out the complexity-fun balance. Too little complexity, and the game could be boring; too much complexity, and the game could run out of time. I think most players would prefer some sense of completion.

Out of curiosity, why do you shy away from larger grouped games?

Eric

Comte de Brueys
05-01-2014, 23:42
I think larger battles with more ships are not the problem.

It could be a problem to host a game with 16 players.

We had this situation with a big WW I Wings of Glory game at SummerCon13 with 16 planes in the air.

To handle fire, collisions and shooting is a though job for one person and you loose a lot of time if you want to check everything by yourself.

The more independence you give the participating players in the game the better you can handle it.

A good briefing is important.
Mix experienced players with newbies, so that the host has not to explain every detail.
Use the regular collison penalty for friendly ships, to reduce the number of unnecessary collisions.

DeRuyter
05-02-2014, 08:33
Hi Eric,

Yes, up to 16 players in a given game. The beginner games have a max of 8, IIRC. With 3 hour slots, the larger games will probably have the two sides starting in close proximity. This is why I am unsure about how extensive advanced rules should be used. I am trying to figure out the complexity-fun balance. Too little complexity, and the game could be boring; too much complexity, and the game could run out of time. I think most players would prefer some sense of completion.

Out of curiosity, why do you shy away from larger grouped games?

Eric

Well I should preface my statement by saying this is in miniatures convention often involving more complex rules (ie; not WOG, X-Wing). In my experience too many players often results in game drag with players wandering off as their infantry units sit and wait whilst the large cavalry battle on the flank is worked out by the GM. It is also the overly ambitious "epic" game with just too many units and players to come to any successful resolution in the time allotted (which is too short). You may be familiar with the "Uncle" Duke Siegfried games, which are more show than game. I like to have more participation than sitting and waiting for long periods while turns are played out.

Having said that it is often down to the GM. A bad or unprepared GM even with fast play style rules and still let a big game bog down. A good GM can keep things flowing, which I believe you will do BTW.

As Sven said you need assistant GMs or players with good knowledge of the rules to have quick combat resolution. I'd certainly like to hear how your large games turn out. Who know we may have mass games like the WOG games in Italy!

Пилот
05-05-2014, 04:41
Excellent report, Sven!

Nightbomber
05-05-2014, 09:43
Really excellent example, Herr Comte!
You made me think of speeding up teaching my group the advanced rules and organize another event :rum:

Bligh
09-17-2015, 04:55
Some good pointers for me in your summation Sven.
Another interesting encounter.
Thanks.
Rob.