PDA

View Full Version : The Elements and Practice of Rigging And Seamanship, 1794, by David Steel

Iron Outlaw
04-17-2014, 18:29
Greetings all

I didn't notice a reference to this title in the list so I am posting it here for members.

It is FREE at the following site; http://www.hnsa.org/doc/steel/index.htm

For those who do not know this book, it is an amazing work of around 500 pages, with diagrams, plus Plates. The link above willl take you to a preface and an index. The page numbers for each section in the index are links to each section in full, and check at the bottom of same for links to large size drawings relevant to that section.

If you download it into MS Word, the number of pages will be reduced but the Plates will be extra.

I have just downloaded their manual on Oberon Class subs of the RCN and it was around 400 pages in MS Word once it had been converted. I also downloaded all of the diagrams not only within the text but as separate files. You might want to do the same with this title as I will be doing.

Enjoy!

Brad

7eat51
04-18-2014, 08:43
Wow. Thanks, Brad. The seamanship volume is fantastic. It is an excellent resource for anyone wanting to understand terminology, sailing, etc. Great find. :thumbsup:

It would be interesting to see how the info on changing positions in a line, for example, could be tied into a flag signaling mechanism for gameplay.

Nightmoss
04-18-2014, 14:14
Actually I posted a link in this thread back in August, but it's a great resource and it never hurts to share good stuff again. Cheers!

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?1497-The-Elements-and-Practice-of-Rigging-And-Seamanship-1794-by-David-Steel&highlight=Elements+Practice+Rigging

7eat51
04-18-2014, 21:28
Jim, I agree. I actually bookmarked it when you first posted, but a day turns, into a week, which turns into a month, …

Today, I spent a bit of time looking through several sections of the seamanship volume. It is amazing how much captains and some sailors needed to know during the era.

Iron Outlaw
04-19-2014, 02:03
I'm onto that. Had a great ide yesterday to use the Airfix Victory as the basis for the signals. I need to ressurect an old waterline model of same that I have had since 1976. I cut the hull down to the waterline. It will take a bit of effort but I will not try to detail the model as per the kit, keeping only the basic structure. Watch this space.

David Manley
04-19-2014, 06:57
It would be nice if they'd upload it as a PDF so you could download it and read it offline

Nightmoss
04-19-2014, 08:43
It would be nice if they'd upload it as a PDF so you could download it and read it offline

Agreed!

Iron Outlaw
04-19-2014, 21:26
As I mentioned, I have downloaded these documents and reformatted them into MS Word and converted them to pdf's.

So, I guess if you ask me really, really nicely, I suppose, if I just happened to be in a really helpful and obliging mood, I could send you same in pdf format, or MS Word.

There are 2 files in each and for some reason the Word files are smaller than the pdf ones. Isn't it usually the other way around? I have also downloaded all of the pictures in their original format as within the documents some have been reduced to fit the page. Anyway, send me your email address and I'll pass them on. Then I guess you'll all hassle me with requests for the images. The sacrifices we all have to make!

Hehehehe!!!

Take care and keep well guys!

Cheers

Brad