PDA

View Full Version : Lacking Training in SoG

Capn Duff
04-06-2014, 19:07
I believe I am correct in saying it is generally accepted that during the Napoleonic wars, the Royal Navy was the Queen of the seas .
They had consistently, better, crews and Officers, better seamanship and better gunnery, against their common foe at this time, France and to a lesser extent Spain, prior to 1808.
I don't want to get into too deep a conversation about why, but think its fair to say that if you are bottled up in harbour then you are not going to get much chance to practice these important aspects. In France I know a lot of naval gunners were drafted into the regular artillery, both France and Spain, it seems neglected their Navies for what ever reason.
Again
I don't want to get into the War of 1812 and the US navy, but generally speaking the RN and USN were on a par, although it does seem the USN had the edge, but this is a layman speaking with no real knowledge here.

What
I did want to talk about, and ask , is has anyone tried an action yet using the rules for Sailors lacking training and Gunners lacking training.
Both these rules seem to simulate the general neglect in the French and Spanish navies at this time and would therefore give the RN an active edge, which they did seem to enjoy against their two main enemies at the time.

So question 1. Anyone tried these rules yet and did it give the non lacking training side a distinct advantage?
2. Should these rules be used as a National Characteristic, or just in a campaign setting ?
3. Should we just use the rules as is and not give any side an advantage, except for the ship in use, it is only a game after all ?

For myself
1. Nope not yet but want to try , just to see
2. I do like the idea of simulating the training of the crews, but if used , really who would want to play a game giving such a dis-advantage to one side ?
3. I have enjoyed each game of SoG I have played, but there does seem to be something missing.

Anyway what do the rest of you think?
I mean no disrespect to French or Spanish members here, nor to the Navies of these nations,
I'm pretty sure a lot of people will say that RN ships should be dis-advantaged against USN ships in the 1812 war.
But I'll save that one for now.

Пилот
04-06-2014, 21:45
Chris, I haven't played neither with Lacking Training rules yet, but I agree with you in general. And I believe it's a good tool to recreate some historical battles. Or simply, to balance "few against many" (Conan's prayer to Crom :happy: ) scenarios.

JonathanE
04-07-2014, 10:55
I also wondered, having read that the RN could reload and fire almost twice as fast (about 1 & 1/2 minutes verses 3 or more minutes) for the French, whether Ares had accounted for this (which I am sure they were aware of)? Or if the Captain & Crew Decks were their answer to this. (Expecting to get my C&C deck this week.):question: