PDA

View Full Version : Andy's demo house rules

Andy Blozinski
04-06-2014, 11:28
Based on the few games that I've played and commentary from the group, the following is sounding like what I'll use for a game I'm running at small convention next weekend. Let me know your thoughts.

Full Advanced rules through Optional, except First Broadside<--not used. The only "Other Rules" section used is Variable Wind Direction.

1) Guns must be loaded with something besides double shot at start of game.
2) Collisions are handled same way friendly or foe. Use the Entanglement rules from page 35 and both ships draw a single E damage chit to see if their sails take damage.
3) Ships that have Disentangled re-start movement at Backing Sails.
4) Continuous Fire: Raking fire is figured after halving. Type of shot must be plotted with an ammo counter under the plotted fire counter. You still can't use Double Shot.*
5) Crew Action, Extinguish Fire: The first turn of Extinguish Fire action temporarily gets a fire damage marker under control (albeit after the first hull damage is already taken) and stops it from doing further damage. The second turn of Extinguish Fire action removes the Fire damage marker as usual as extinguished. If the crew does not plot the action for the second turn, the fire immediately gets out of control at the start of the second turn and starts causing hull damage again that turn.
6) Crew Actions: The number of Crew Actions available is only determined by the Crew Damage track.

*I'm thinking on changing this to no choice where ammo type for Continuous Fire is done only with whatever your last normal fire was done with on that broadside. If your last normal fire was Double Shot, then your Continuous Fire would default to regular Ball Shot as you can't use Double Shot in Continuous Fire.

Let me know your thoughts.

David Manley
04-06-2014, 13:31
My thoughts? Not a million miles away from how my "standard" set of rulkes is developing. I`ve come to a smilar conclusion about fire and flood damage (continment followed by repair). The only thing I would add is retaining the single card movement system as in the basic rules rather than 2 cards, which I think is way to constraining and unrealistic

Andy Blozinski
04-06-2014, 14:16
I'd forgotten about that issue. I've been playing two cards. Some have tried starting with 1 and transitioning to 2. I'll try that this weekend and see what my impressions are.

DeRuyter
04-07-2014, 12:29
I think you meant "C" damage chit for sail damage in collisions. Other than that it all looks good. I think experienced gamers can pick up on the crew actions easily (one ship each at first). I jumped right in with the 2 card system, so I have not yet seen how the single card planning affects game play. I suspect for a convention game it would speed it up. I will have to give it a try.

Andy Blozinski
04-07-2014, 17:51
I think you meant "C" damage chit for sail damage in collisions. Other than that it all looks good. I think experienced gamers can pick up on the crew actions easily (one ship each at first). I jumped right in with the 2 card system, so I have not yet seen how the single card planning affects game play. I suspect for a convention game it would speed it up. I will have to give it a try.

Hey...C at least rhymes with E! You're right.

7eat51
04-07-2014, 20:26
Andy, I am interested in how these rules work at a con, especially if you have some new players.

If you do have new players, I do suggest starting with one-card movement, at least for several turns. This way, folks can concentrate on becoming familiar with the ship logs, etc., without getting too bogged down with maneuvering. Once they become familiar with ship management mechanics, then they can devote more time to maneuvering if you desire to use the two-card mechanism.

How are you advertising the game? Are you targeting folks who have played before, or anyone? I am curious because I want to know what are reasonable expectations for folks with little to no experience. I am running all the games at Origins, and am trying to finalize what should be included at the various level of games. Next year, it will be easier to run more advanced games because more folks will have experience in playing SGN.

Andy Blozinski
04-07-2014, 21:02
It's a small charity convention at a high school. The game is listed on their web site and it's on a Facebook posting for a Houston gaming group. It has no exciting scenario mentioned in the game listing because I really didn't know what I was going to run until last week.
I think starting out with one card plotting will lessen collisions from the inexperienced. I actually kind of need to transition to two cards because I plan on using the game device of the interceptor squadron gets to place a few small land masses outside of one ruler of anyone. I forgot who used that mechanic, but I think it will work out well as a play balance tool for the scenario I'm running and add some non-typical flavor. If you're only doing one card plotting, putting a small obstacle a ruler length away isn't much effect. Allowing closer placement kind of doesn't work for plausibility.