PDA

View Full Version : National: What Swedish Ships?

Mahan
03-24-2014, 08:41
What ships would you like to see on a Swedish SoG Fleet Set?

If we keep to the period of the Great Norhen War (1700-1721) , the peak of the Swedish Empire, my votes are on:

Kronan (SoL),
Öland (SoL),
Pommern (SoL),
Stora Phoenix (Fre),
Svarta Örn (Fre)

The attatched picture shows the Battle og Grengam, or Slaget vid Ledsund in Swedish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Grengam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Grengam

TexaS
01-20-2015, 12:40
I would like to game the Russo-Swedish War 1788 with perhaps Battle of Reval. It would be more in the line of the Napoleonic Wars of the rest of SoG.

Diamondback
01-20-2015, 19:35
Gents, one of the important things to look for in figuring out possible SoG sculpts is that there need to be at least six near-identical ships to the sculpt, preferably two being a different flag than the country of origin.

So, for Swedish vessels, you'll need to look for cases of at least six built to the same basic design or modifications thereof, or a design with at least four built and at least two captured by the same foreign power. (Four Swedish/two Russian reflag works, four Swedish/one Russian reflag/one Danish reflag does not.) This is the part that gives us who do their historical consulting fits sometimes...

Hope this info helps. :)

Coog
01-20-2015, 22:37
Gents, one of the important things to look for in figuring out possible SoG sculpts is that there need to be at least six near-identical ships to the sculpt, preferably two being a different flag than the country of origin.

So are Ares past claims that models for the War of 1812 would be done total and complete BS?

TexaS
01-21-2015, 01:01
Well, there is a lack of 64 gun ships generally and in the Royal Swedish Navy there were ten ships in the Wasa-class by Fredrik Henrik af Chapman. They varied a little in the number of guns from Wasa:s (Not the one of tipping over fame) 60 guns, to 62 and 64 for the others. Those had a little less draft, a higher lower gun deck to handle firing in high seas and a largely unprotected upper gun deck making it lower than usual for ships of the line. It could have heavy guns to be able to hold its place in the line, 36 lb and 24 lb guns, but some had 24 lb and 18 lb.

The ships:
Kronprins Gustaf Adolf (62), Fäderneslandet (62), Ömheten (62), Rättvisan (62)(Captured by Russians and later British), Dygden (64), Äran (64), Försiktigheten (62), Dristigheten (64) (Rebuilt to carry 74 guns, 1806), Manligheten (64), Tapperheten (64).

Devsdoc
01-21-2015, 15:32
Hi Jonas,
Try Langton's SW1, SW2, SW3, I understand the Swedes used smaller Ships of line 60, 62 and 64 gun ships. But liked the larger 40 gun frigates. From what I can see Swedish 3rd rate tended to be a little smaller being 70 gun and not 74 gun. I do love the Swedish ships and I must say the Russian fleet too. It is a corner of history that is over looked by us Ships of the line wargamer's.
Be safe
Rory

Diamondback
01-21-2015, 16:32
So are Ares past claims that models for the War of 1812 would be done total and complete BS?
Bobby, I think they're genuine in intent to do War of 1812, but there may be a lot more proxying than we'd like--they already blew past my personal comfort zone by using HMS Victory's engineering for all British First Rates when she's more closely related to the Bellona family of 74's than literally any other three-decker except her near-sisters 1810 HMS Boyne and 1811 HMS Union. (Which both began life as nominally 98-gun Second Rates, and were laid down at a time when Victory herself was downgraded to a 98.)

The other thing is, they're gonna have to learn to accept that sometimes there *is* no good fit for a flip-side card--example USS Chesapeake/HMS Chesapeake's closest relative is USS Philadelphia, and similarly there are only five American and one British flag options possible on the Constitution sculpt, unless you count a batch of Russian copies of President built in the 1820s (which is well after End of Game).

1812 has been an area where I've been doing advance Long Range Research on my own initiative, and no matter what Ares does some of us ain't gonna be walking away happy--either they'll overstretch the sculpts which will lose sales from people like me, or they'll be more conservative on stretching and a lot of the key ships won't be available for a very long time if ever--this is one of the reservations I've had ever since they announced the "Double Sided Ship Log" stretch goal back in the Kickstarter.

7eat51
01-21-2015, 17:23
this is one of the reservations I've had ever since they announced the "Double Sided Ship Log" stretch goal back in the Kickstarter.

Why continue on a path that leads to undesirable outcomes? I imagine most of us are not too concerned about the ability to flip over a card and log at the expense of not having a variety of sculpts.

TexaS
01-22-2015, 00:25
Sweden preferred the smaller ships of the line due to having big archipelagos to fight in and then draft becomes important.

I would prefer pre-painted even though I do paint, but my old tries at metal kit from GHQ have always failed from me trying to paint all details perfectly.

These look quite different from most other ship of the line due to not giving as much protection for the gunners on the upper deck.

Contemporary model of Wasa:

TWR
05-13-2016, 15:39
Why continue on a path that leads to undesirable outcomes? I imagine most of us are not too concerned about the ability to flip over a card and log at the expense of not having a variety of sculpts.

Speaking from the perspective of a newbie I rather like the idea of being able to flip a card over to have a different ship. It means that if two locals have the same ship we can use both ships by one having a different name. Of course it is more important when the number of models is limited.